Large Monitor Breeders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monitors_R_Us

Banned
Reaction score
Just out of of curiosity, how many breeders of the larger monitors have been successful this year etc, Lacies, Spencers, Goulds and Yellow Spotted's. It is that time of the year were all the hatchy's are starting to come up for sale, exciting.

Same with crocdoc (best breeder of lacies imo) i think his hatched around june-august.

-Andrew- on this site breeds lacies every year without fail.
I have see quite a few baby lacies on the market lately, I wonder if any of them are his. I know crocdoc is the go to for lacy information but I wonder if his breeding went well this year. In the monitor picture thread his hatchys are always spectacular.

Well that answers that for me ;)

crocdoc mentioned that he had a handful of babies in the monitors picture thread so i think he was successful, well i dont think he is ever unsuccessful ;)

Last edited:
URS usually has a decent variety of large monitors, even Perenties.
A couple stores such Amazing Amazon and Reptile City have had a lot of lacies in at the moment.
If you're ever interested in smaller species though send me a pm, I know a few people.

Also another i just thought of, Cutting edge morelia have Perenties and lacies (bells phase) aswell. Not sure if they had any success in breeding this year or not tho

Last edited:
Just checking a few sites now, so many young lacies for sale at the moment but none of the other real big boys ( apart from a few Mertens ).

Reptile City says they say they're hopefully going to have some Spencers hatchlings this season. Also Amazing Amazon has at least one Goulds at the moment. Although I have to ask, how much experience do you have with these species? No problem with getting a spencers or even a gouldii but panoptes are really very powerful and have an insane feeding reaction - don't think I have to get into lacies. I don't want to be rude, just don't want any accidents to happen.

Reptile City says they say they're hopefully going to have some Spencers hatchlings this season. Also Amazing Amazon has at least one Goulds at the moment. Although I have to ask, how much experience do you have with these species? No problem with getting a spencers or even a gouldii but panoptes are really very powerful and have an insane feeding reaction - don't think I have to get into lacies. I don't want to be rude, just don't want any accidents to happen.
This thread isn't so much for looking to buy a monitor just out of curiosity how many will be getting around this season. I have plenty of experience with Lacies, why today alone i was changing 3 juvi's enclosures, IMO lacies are the most difficult monitor to look after ( not in terms of husbandry wise ). My next Monitor will be a Spencers Monitor for sure no doubt in my mind.

Just checking, I wasn't doubting your ability. I just have respect for these animals and want to make sure that people know what they're getting into - I personally don't think I'm ready for panoptes or lacies, would definitely love to keep them though!

Just checking, I wasn't doubting your ability. I just have respect for these animals and want to make sure that people know what they're getting into - I personally don't think I'm ready for panoptes or lacies, would definitely love to keep them though!
All good Scott, alot of people get into the larger monitors with little to none preparation of fore though for the future of the animal ( just a thread yesterday someone had a 40w bulb as a gouldii's heat source for instance ) just because at they time, they can handle these small impressive creatures. The jump from gouldii's, spenceri's and black head's etc to yellow's, lacies and perentie's is quite big. On topic but i would assume breeding lacies is easier then some of the other larger monitors mentioned above, just googling have found 4 different set of hatchy's available atm.

Which I will never understand.

Why not?, Lace monitors are one of the best monitors around and with the right amount of experience/knowledge anyone can keep them. As long as they know 100% what their getting into and have great respect for the animal. Unless i read ur post wrong then for that i apologise ;)

Last edited:
@ Monitors_R_Us - Too right, then again it's really a matter of opinion. If only species like scalaris and brevicauda were more popular, they make far better captives and are easier to care for. Although I do understand why people like lacies.

Why not?, Lace monitors are one of the best monitors around and with the right amount of experience/knowledge anyone can keep them. As long as they know 100% what their getting into and have great respect for the animal. Unless i read ur post wrong then for that i apologise ;)
Haha please do not get me wrong. Lace Monitors would be my favorite species of monitor behind the Emerald Tree Monitor and would be amazing to own my very own one day instead of just looking after multiple ones at work. I said that because I just am so surprised at how many people purchase lacies as their 1st class 2 monitor or even their 1st monitor ( not saying that it is a bad idea or cannot be done successfully ) over something just as stunning as say a Gouldii.

I'd imagine one reason behind keeping them is nostalgia. Lace monitors are quite common across the east coast and I myself use to watch them when I was younger up at our farm (since then they've disappeared from the area...). People remember seeing them when hiking, at parks and national parks and those memories aren't easily forgotten by animal lovers, then they realise they can keep them...

I'd imagine one reason behind keeping them is nostalgia. Lace monitors are quite common across the east coast and I myself use to watch them when I was younger up at our farm (since then they've disappeared from the area...). People remember seeing them when hiking, at parks and national parks and those memories aren't easily forgotten by animal lovers, then they realise they can keep them...
True, very true. I have very fond memories on lacies being in my area when growing up but not so much these days. I do hope though, that there are many hatchy's still to come for the other larger species.

A lot of monitors have only begun to be successfully kept and breed in more recent years when compared to other lizards. Especially when it comes to the larger species, however in the next 10 or so years I'd imagine that a lot of these species will probably increase quite noticeably in captive populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back