two in one Christmas present. Hectic DIY

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mudgudgeon

Reaction score
My son and I have two EWDs about 18months old. They are currently in a 4ft tank and they have outgrown it.

I decided to build a big indoor enclosure for them and wanted to get my son involved as much as possible, he's 10, and always asking me to do stuff in the garage with him.

I bought some timber and a sheet of melamine as a starting point, wrapped a bit of paper around it and gave it all to my son as a Christmas present, with the promise that we would build a new enclosure together.

sooooo! we have been working on it, and its come a long way, but still got a lot to do. I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe oit might be ready by next Christmas, could be a Christmas present two years running :D

Specs

1.8m wide
2.2m high
1m deep
made in parts to fit through an ordinary door
approx 1/3 of the bottom will be water, running, filtered water
water fall with different levels,
heated basking rocks, UV lights and heat lamps above basking spots.
lots of hiding spots. lots to climb on. lots of glass for clear view into the enclosure

So far we have built the back half of the enclosure, it is timber framed, with ply panels, it will be painted on the outside, maybe camo, or forest foliage camo.

we have roughly built the bulk of the fake rock background.
DSC00527.JPG
this pic shows water feature, a couple of different pools one above the other. Heat cord embedded in polystyrene, this will be rendered over to create a heated rock.

DSC00530.JPG
full frontal.
the yellowish part is the water feature, water will be pumped to the top, run down through channeled through a couple of different pools, into a large pool at the bottom (yet to be made)

DSC00554.JPGDSC00594.JPGDSC00595.JPGDSC00592.JPG
rendered polystyrene rocks.
tested water falls and ponds (minor tweeking required to reduce splashing)

will post more pics.

Attachments

• DSC00588.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Oh that looks amazing. Very brave working vertically, too. Haven't been there yet myself but I bet it's a nightmare. :lol:
Keep the pics coming! ;)

What a lovely father!
I'm to drag my dad back into his cabinet making days and make me an enclosure...for my python that is, not me.

hurry up and finish it i wanna see the finished product lol :p

haha, me too! its proving to be a mission.

Oh that looks amazing. Very brave working vertically, too. Haven't been there yet myself but I bet it's a nightmare. :lol:
Keep the pics coming! ;)

its not too bad, once the styrene was set up, I work in sections from the top down, anything that drops is dropping onto un-finished work.

I'll post some details of some of the techniques I've used later. I work in building, so I've used techniques borrowed from all sorts of building stuff.

Last edited:
is it just me , or is there a cyclops head in your background?

DSC00592.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back