Albino or Het For Albino??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tablemanners

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So basically next year I'm looking to breed Albino Darwins. Im trying to decide whether to buy a pair of Hets or buy one het and one albino? Obviously you will all instantly say Albbino x Het, although I'm 15 and get like 50-60 bucks a week from part time work although I'm sure my parents would be happy to pitch in for a Christams gift (They like my snakes and are generally happy to see me get new ones). So it's either save up for ages and get an albino x het which would probably put me out of next breeding season. Next option is buy a het x het and then with the money I make of the first clutch I successfully breed to buy an albino and then breed albino x albino?
Also this is my first breeding project so any help with breeding with be appreciated, and also if you can keep your eyes peeled and let me know if you see anything come up for sale, ill be sure to return the favour for you guys!
Cheers, Mitch

It will be years before you get albinos unless you buy adult hets. Then you have to wait for the albinos to grow up before you can breed them. Albinos are getting cheaper every year. This is not a reliable way to make money in the future unless you have a new albino morph. Buy what you intend to keep and consider breeding to be a nice bonus IF you get there. There are costs associated with breeding, especially in the initial setup. If something goes wrong you just lose money. You need to think hard and preferably save your money. Snakes live 30 years, so think about what you want to keep for 30 years.

If you like albinos then save up and get an albino, you are kidding yourself if you think you are going to buy a juvie pair of hets and make any money out of them.

It will be years before you get albinos unless you buy adult hets. Then you have to wait for the albinos to grow up before you can breed them. Albinos are getting cheaper every year. This is not a reliable way to make money in the future unless you have a new albino morph. Buy what you intend to keep and consider breeding to be a nice bonus IF you get there. There are costs associated with breeding, especially in the initial setup. If something goes wrong you just lose money. You need to think hard and preferably save your money. Snakes live 30 years, so think about what you want to keep for 30 years.

I was actually planning on buying adult hets, that way I could be in for next breeding season. Also I'm not doing it for the money, I dont mind about the prices. It just seems very cool when it comes down to the genetics and I love the patterns of them, for some reason yellow snakes do something for me, white ones to!! It's also nice to actually be making some sort of profit if your breeding a success though, for example of stimsons pythons you would probably only just be over breaking even after living costs feeding and the rest. Thanks for the help though, after what you said I think I will go with the Hets so if my breeding does fail I wont be out as much money. Although it will still be amazing to have some new animals.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If you like albinos then save up and get an albino, you are kidding yourself if you think you are going to buy a juvie pair of hets and make any money out of them.

I was actually going to buy adults, and I'm not doing it for the money. Im doing it for the experience, but the cash would be nice on the side ;)

There are some very good-looking hets out there, so be picky about what you buy and only buy from someone with a very good reputation. The problem with hets is that they look identical to normals. The only proof comes after breeding. It is very exciting to breed and watch the little heads poke out. My clutch finally finished emerging tonight. It is great when they pay their way, but that's not why I keep them. I also love the colour of the albinos. Have you ever seen an adult in full sunlight? They literally glow. It is fantastic. Good luck!

There are some very good-looking hets out there, so be picky about what you buy and only buy from someone with a very good reputation. The problem with hets is that they look identical to normals. The only proof comes after breeding. It is very exciting to breed and watch the little heads poke out. My clutch finally finished emerging tonight. It is great when they pay their way, but that's not why I keep them. I also love the colour of the albinos. Have you ever seen an adult in full sunlight? They literally glow. It is fantastic. Good luck!

stop making me jealous lol im saving my pennies ;-)

Cathy

Hets are the cheaper options & if you do breed successfully give a nice reward! but i recommend buying them off reliable sources as there is no way of telling that they are hets... and it would be disappointing thinking you brought 2 100% hets and no albinos hatch out.

Yeah I was a bit worried about the hets just being normals, do you know of anyone reputable people to buy from? Also thankyou for the support, I'd love to see your babies, will there be some photos in a thread soon?
Thanks Heaps
P.S Congrats on the breeding success.

Sorry but by the sounds of it you are young and any young person who asks me about expensive snakes that they can breed straight away that then can produce lots of money I think in it for money not knowledge. You want knowledge read a book or two. I wanna breed albino elephants for knowledge honest money is not the issue.

Sorry but by the sounds of it you are young and any young person who asks me about expensive snakes that they can breed straight away that then can produce lots of money I think in it for money not knowledge. You want knowledge read a book or two. I wanna breed albino elephants for knowledge honest money is not the issue.

Sorry but I really think you are being very closed minded here. I think you're are being a bit quick to judge, have you not read my previous posts. I am NOT in this for the money, I simply want it be an experience that I will remember and the only reason I have chosen to breed these is the underlying het genes interest me. The fact that a normal coloured snake can produce an albino. Sorry if I'm sounding rude it just always annoys me that people assume that every person of young age doesn't understand any topic to its full extent. I have been keeping snakes for 4 years and have successfully kept a rather advanced one (Green Tree Python). Its not as if I am just getting into snakes and wish to make a quick handful of cash.
But thanks anyway for your opinion, but obviously thats not why I'm doing it.

Sorry but I really think you are being very closed minded here. I think you're are being a bit quick to judge, have you not read my previous posts. I am NOT in this for the money, I simply want it be an experience that I will remember and the only reason I have chosen to breed these is the underlying het genes interest me. The fact that a normal coloured snake can produce an albino. Sorry if I'm sounding rude it just always annoys me that people assume that every person of young age doesn't understand any topic to its full extent. I have been keeping snakes for 4 years and have successfully kept a rather advanced one (Green Tree Python). Its not as if I am just getting into snakes and wish to make a quick handful of cash.
But thanks anyway for your opinion, but obviously thats not why I'm doing it.
Well obviously as you have said that and since I have never heard of children lying then I believe you. I have two 100% hets that are unrelated but have bred together many times and only produce albinos every time, they look like diamond pythons but I swear they are actually 100% hets $20000 and there yours make your money back overnight if you we're into making a profit but since your not in it for the money this probably wouldn't interest you.

Well obviously as you have said that and since I have never heard of children lying then I believe you. I have two 100% hets that are unrelated but have bred together many times and only produce albinos every time, they look like diamond pythons but I swear they are actually 100% hets $20000 and there yours make your money back overnight if you we're into making a profit but since your not in it for the money this probably wouldn't interest you.

No need to be rude about it. Don't you think that if I was lying and just wanted the money out of snakes that I would have just went out and bought a couple of expensive snakes and bred them straight off the bat? Well guess what? I didnt, I went out and bought a cheap little Stimmmie that I liked and then that started a passion for reptiles, not an idea of making money of them. If you dont like what I'm doing thats fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Although if you are seriously just going to be rude about it then I don't see the point in you even telling me. I have plenty of people helping me out with my attempt at starting a little project, but if you don't like it no need to be rude and discourage me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hets are the cheaper options & if you do breed successfully give a nice reward! but i recommend buying them off reliable sources as there is no way of telling that they are hets... and it would be disappointing thinking you brought 2 100% hets and no albinos hatch out.

Yeah I will definitely be buying them off Reputable people, although only problem is: I dont know of any... Do you know anyone I might be able to contact. Also thanks for the tip, means a lot to me that someone would take the time to help me out.

Dude!!!! There are few 'kill joys' about. Honestly if you think your up to the task of breeding hets then hell! You shouldn't have to justify your means to anyone else!!!Just because you may be young, does not mean your stupid. I hate that judgemental and closed minded ****! Iv just read over this thread and you know what... you seem a bright enough kid to give it a crack. It helps if you have some experienced friends about (i have been very fortunate to know reputable hobbyists) and this is what half this hobby is about Sharing!!!. Learning from others so you can expand your interest and enjoy it on other levels. Half the time experience makes the master and you'l never know until you give it a go yourself... thats life. There will always be someone giving you advice and the worst you can do is not listen. Its up to you. But again, you don't need to justify yourself to why you want breed Albinos. Thats your choice and no one elses. Regardless if you want to make money of it or not.... Ok iv had my rant! best of luck kid! Im sure you will do well! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wrightpython reallY!??? give the kid a break!!!

Dude!!!! There are few 'kill joys' about. Honestly if you think your up to the task of breeding hets then hell! You shouldn't have to justify your means to anyone else!!!Just because you may be young, does not mean your stupid. I hate that judgemental and closed minded ****! Iv just read over this thread and you know what... you seem a bright enough kid to give it a crack. It helps if you have some experienced friends about (i have been very fortunate to know reputable hobbyists) and this is what half this hobby is about Sharing!!!. Learning from others so you can expand your interest and enjoy it on other levels. Half the time experience makes the master and you'l never know until you give it a go yourself... thats life. There will always be someone giving you advice and the worst you can do is not listen. Its up to you. But again, you don't need to justify yourself to why you want breed Albinos. Thats your choice and no one elses. Regardless if you want to make money of it or not.... Ok iv had my rant! best of luck kid! Im sure you will do well! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wrightpython reallY!??? give the kid a break!!!

hey jairus,
thanks so much for te encouragment. You honestly have no idea how much it means to me. I have already had a few people tell me I'm to young to breed snakes, but majority if them have been encouraging and helpful. It's people like you and others that make this community so great.
also you say you have know some experiences guys? Don't suppose they told you any handy hints you could pass on ;) also you don't happen to know anyone selling adult or breeding age gets do you? Cheers

Your most welcome Buddy! :)

To be honest every breeder has there own little tricks of the trade that works for them... And these hints vary greatly on the species you plan to breed. If you want to breed Darwins then i suggest you chat to someone that knows their husbandry like the back of their hand. But breeding carpets seems to be pretty straight forward throughout the morelia species for the most part. Im sure you might be able to find a breeder in your area that would be willing to help you out. There is a book titled 'Keeping and breeding Australian Pythons' by Mike Swan which seems to be a bit of a 'bible' throughout the herp industry. It gives reference to breeding techniques of each individual species and even goes though incubation setups, temperature fluctuations and hatching requirements as well as growth and incubation periods and data. It retails for about 50 bucks but its well worth it. It might even pay to go through it first and see if your able to commit to breeding requirements. Thats probably the best advice i could give. Extensive research never goes unrewarded. Its good to see your aspirations havnt been stomped by trolls. Your a teenager. So have some fun with it :). The best advice Iv gotten from anyone is to 'keep it simple'.

Good luck!

sorry i dont know anyone with available adult hets but keep trawling...;)

I think you will learn more about geneics if you have a pair of hets but you will have a lot of babies to "test" before you know what traits they contain and so a lot of animals to maintain whilst they grow out.

It's impressive that you have a thirst for such knowledge in genetics rather than for an income. I'm just curious if you have factored in the cost in such breeding experimentation as well as the future costs of keeping the babies alive and healthy until you have picked which you are keeping vs selling? If so, then good luck.

Bear in mind too that while your folks are supportive, just make sure they know that your animal numbers and hence food, heating etc costs will double or triple overnight once the eggs hatch.

Forgive our cynicism, but I'm sure a few of the more experienced members have answered this question previously and the answers and results have not always been pleasant.

Good luck however you go

Last edited:
I think it's great that younger people are getting into the hobby, and Tablemanners seems to be going about it in the right way ..... asking advice and learning from others. We should be encouraging youngsters, not putting them down.

Each young person who grows up in the hobby is one less that will grow into an ignorant adult with the old "The only good snake is a dead snake." attitude. Each time Tablemanners takes a friend home and shows them his herps that may be another more tolerant person who won't run for the shovel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back