Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
hey guy i did a venomous snake handling course today and if i hadnt been doing the course just to get the certificate then i would have been pretty disappointed. I have been catching vens for 17 years and thought its about time i get it on paper and legal, so i wasnt going there to learn how to catch a snake.....BUT there were however 5 of the 7 of us doing the course that had never touched a snake ( not even a python) let alone caught a wild venomous snake. now the course started at 7am and finished at 330pm and in this time i caught 2 brown snakes and 1 tiger that is all the hands on experience that was given, except for a couple of the people had a couple extra goes at it cos they kept making mistakes.......now.....i wouldnt trust some of the people there today catching a python in the wild let alone a ven but now they have done this course they can become snake catchers. I not only believe that there needs to be some sort of bench mark people should have to reach before being granted a catchers license but there needs to be a compensee level to protect these wanna be snake catchers from themselves cos after today stay tuned to the news cos if some of these people are let loose on the world there will be deaths.
now on another note if i'm doing a venomous snake handeling course i would like it to concerntrate on venomous snake handling and catching venomous snakes not how to look after snakes in captivity, or how to run your snake catching business. For the 8 hours i was there i think you could have fitted what was taught about venomous snakes and catching them into about 2 hours.

all i can say is i'm glad i wasnt going there expecting to come away having learnt how to catch a snake

What's more dangerous, catching snakes illegally without training or doing a course first?

What method of catching was taught?

I think if strict rules are applied hoop bag and hook can be taught relatively safely in a day provided there is no "skin to scale"

I did a course a couple of years ago and have since handled Elapids on a regular basis. I would probably still describe my skills as basic and don't think any course can teach what good snake handlers/catchers have learned over many years.

I think if strict rules are applied hoop bag and hook can be taught relatively safely in a day provided there is no "skin to scale"

I did a course a couple of years ago and have since handled Elapids on a regular basis. I would probably still describe my skills as basic and don't think any course can teach what good snake handlers/catchers have learned over many years.

no hooks or tongs mate, using a push stick to pin the snake then tailing the snake releasing the head and then proceed to jiggle the snake to keep it off balance and stopping it from coming back up itself to tag you, and we were putting them into a large plastic box to secure them. look it was a very easy and affective method and not one i had done before but i can see meny ways and inexperienced person could end up in a bad way doing it if not paying attention and also i dont know how it would go on a large snake, snakes we were dealing with ere 4 and 5 footers

This is a ridiculous method to train people to catch snakes and I have seen the performance on you tube

I will add the course I did was substandard, however I advocated it due to not knowing any better and luckily didn't come unstuck.
Snake removal courses should only teach hoop bag and hook IMO people who develop a further interest will soon find the means to develop their skills further.
But tailing snakes for beginners is asking for trouble and shouldn't be taught at all. Just because the snakes on the course are safe to handle their first real encounter will be a whole different kettle of fish.

Apart from compliant textilis I am at a loss to understand how one gets the snake into the bag without "skin to scale" using only a hook.

Apart from compliant textilis I am at a loss to understand how one gets the snake into the bag without "skin to scale" using only a hook.

easiest method is as snake is slithering away touch it 40cm behind head with end of your hoop bag when it strikes back at bag it will go straight in then you just flip the rest of snake into the bag having never actually touched it safest and best method for all concerned. i hate the tongs or pinning method as often to much pressure is applied. obviously this doesnt work in every instance but many times this does work and my first 10 or so browns were caught this way.

I really think the trainers need to train more on identification, they go to a house remove snakes tell the land owners it's a taipan and leave, the problem is they scare the living @!&" out of the land owners thinking they are over run with taipans on a area they are not found and they forget the owners normally ask for a pic of the snake before they leave LOL making them look like a fool holding a keel back or brown tree snake!!.
Never had to do a course as I was doing the catch and release before the new laws with damage mitigation but was thinking about sneaking into one just too see my self what was being done for the paper

i dont have a certificate saying i can do it i am not even registered snake catcher so all intent and purpose i am breaking the law but most of my phone calls come from the police who have had my number for over ten years. if i did a course does it mean i can then charge for my service something that i have never done.

easiest method is as snake is slithering away touch it 40cm behind head with end of your hoop bag when it strikes back at bag it will go straight in then you just flip the rest of snake into the bag having never actually touched it safest and best method for all concerned. i hate the tongs or pinning method as often to much pressure is applied. obviously this doesnt work in every instance but many times this does work and my first 10 or so browns were caught this way.

I also use this method when possible , I was asked to do snake catching courses where I live but I respect my snakes to much , don't like the thought of my snake being crushed with tongs from a first time snake catcher. Hats off to the guys running the courses I just can't do it ! A mate of mine runs a course and he gets quite mad at people using to much pressure.

The whole idea of newbies pinning a snake is just ludicrous why risk injury to the snake if you are not going to head the snake something else that newbies shouldnt do. i only advocate pinning and heading if done by pros for a good reason like milking or wound dressing tick removal etc etc not just to catch it. we should be advocating least contact possible, if you wanna handle a snake to show off do it with bts and the like not eb or tigers etc.

That is my preferred method for hots. I use a dark bag on a fishing net frame and try and make it look like the safest hiding spot available. Cox the snake in by tickling its tail and/or guiding its head.
Of course every snake is different and you must be prepared to improvise, last textillis wouldn't leave her little spot and was hooked and gently dropped into the bag, Twice she landed with her head out and promptly left the bag.

snakes we were using were freshly caught wild snakes in the days before that hadnt been released yet. i think it is much easier to catch a snake by actually getting hold of it. the bloke running the course was very strict on the pressure applied when pinning, and the pinning was not done with a hard surface, it was actually a window cleaner like ya see at a servo, foam one side ruber the other was actually a very good item just not sure about the rest of the method, i had no problem doing it but i have been around snakes for along time so know how they move but some of the others wouldnt jiggle enough and the tigers nearly came back up, but also they would just about launch them into the box from a fair height instead of gentle dropping them in

hey guy i did a venomous snake handling course today and if i hadnt been doing the course just to get the certificate then i would have been pretty disappointed. I have been catching vens for 17 years and thought its about time i get it on paper and legal, so i wasnt going there to learn how to catch a snake.....BUT there were however 5 of the 7 of us doing the course that had never touched a snake ( not even a python) let alone caught a wild venomous snake. now the course started at 7am and finished at 330pm and in this time i caught 2 brown snakes and 1 tiger that is all the hands on experience that was given, except for a couple of the people had a couple extra goes at it cos they kept making mistakes.......now.....i wouldnt trust some of the people there today catching a python in the wild let alone a ven but now they have done this course they can become snake catchers. I not only believe that there needs to be some sort of bench mark people should have to reach before being granted a catchers license but there needs to be a compensee level to protect these wanna be snake catchers from themselves cos after today stay tuned to the news cos if some of these people are let loose on the world there will be deaths.
now on another note if i'm doing a venomous snake handeling course i would like it to concerntrate on venomous snake handling and catching venomous snakes not how to look after snakes in captivity, or how to run your snake catching business. For the 8 hours i was there i think you could have fitted what was taught about venomous snakes and catching them into about 2 hours.

all i can say is i'm glad i wasnt going there expecting to come away having learnt how to catch a snake

check this site out
Snake Handler Official Website - Venomous Snake Handling

snakes we were using were freshly caught wild snakes in the days before that hadnt been released yet. i think it is much easier to catch a snake by actually getting hold of it. the bloke running the course was very strict on the pressure applied when pinning, and the pinning was not done with a hard surface, it was actually a window cleaner like ya see at a servo, foam one side ruber the other was actually a very good item just not sure about the rest of the method, i had no problem doing it but i have been around snakes for along time so know how they move but some of the others wouldnt jiggle enough and the tigers nearly came back up, but also they would just about launch them into the box from a fair height instead of gentle dropping them in
C
Concerning your first comment I would like to see you applie your methods to a scrubie or any other python in a ceiling? and what do you do when its not a snake in the ceiling and find out its a goanna.

This is a ridiculous method to train people to catch snakes and I have seen the performance on you tube

I will add the course I did was substandard, however I advocated it due to not knowing any better and luckily didn't come unstuck.
Snake removal courses should only teach hoop bag and hook IMO people who develop a further interest will soon find the means to develop their skills further.
But tailing snakes for beginners is asking for trouble and shouldn't be taught at all. Just because the snakes on the course are safe to handle their first real encounter will be a whole different kettle of fish.

so the snakes on the courses are not dangerous.

I've been asked to supply Eastern Brown Snakes for the latest WIRES course in our local area and I can assure you they're straight out of "Bush" (wild caught on relocations).

C
Concerning your first comment I would like to see you applie your methods to a scrubie or any other python in a ceiling? and what do you do when its not a snake in the ceiling and find out its a goanna.
what comment and what method mate? where i live i dont have to worry about scrubbies or any other type of pythons, we do have goannas here and we were shown how to handle goannas briefly. in the defence of this bloke running the course, it was a "venomous snake handling course" conducted in victoria so it focused on the main vens we have here, not to many pythons here

- - - Updated - - -

I've been asked to supply Eastern Brown Snakes for the latest WIRES course in our local area and I can assure you they're straight out of "Bush" (wild caught on relocations).

these guys we were using were wild caught to e released on monday

Last edited:

I do all my captures with a strictly no contact rule (no skin to scale) using only a hook and a catch bag. We have a 'no contact' rule out in the field because it is not necessary. It also takes that risk out of the equation. How? is a basic understanding of animal behaviour... Do it right an the snake sees the bag a a place of refuge. I once got asked if i put something in the catch bag to make the snake go into it?...lol ha haha :)

- - - Updated - - -

No that's not what he's getting at.... I think he means that things are a lot different under the guidance of an experienced handler. Than a novice on their own. Just because people have done the course, does not mean they are a pro and ready to deal with a capture straight away. But most people understand this during a course. As for tailing.... you either have it, or you dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back