Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathy1986

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
Can snakes get stuck ???? I'm a bit worried my little spotted has got himself in a tight situation
e8e9ynaq.jpg
nugu4eby.jpg
naty9usu.jpg

Generally if they can get their head through, the rest of the body will follow lol. I wouldn't worry about it unless he/she starts to struggle or stays there for a while. Young snakes like being in tight places :)

my baby jungle got stuck in my toaster. not working of course. curled up in the bottom and couldnt back out.she ended up slapping around like crazy. i had to dissmantle the toaster to get her free

Pretty much as Sanna said... Although one of my MDs has a habit of getting 'stuck' between her enclosure and the front opening doors on the odd occassion when I open them. Of which I try to gently assist her through one side and out the other. Silly girl.

Sanna is wrong. Snakes can easily get stuck if they go too far into a narrow space and their scales prevent them from backing out. This often leads to significant injury or skin damage. NEVER place items of furniture that YOU can't remove the snake from in enclosures. This can be especially damaging if the snake has recently fed.

Jamie

anyone else see that picture that someone posted a few days ago of that snake (i think it was red belly cant really remember though ) that got stuck and died in the computer hard drive ? so id say pythoninfinite is on the money again :) just because there good at getting into tight spaces wouldn't mean they cant get stuck if the situations right

They can and do get stuck.A lot of keepers use ceramic pots turned up side down for hides and a lot of pythons get their heads through the drainage hole and end up getting stuck and the only way to get them out is to break the pot.

20121111_090347.jpgWhile not stuck in the traditional sense, this guy always sits up here. This may appear fine but any attempt to open his click clack results in the poor little bugger tumbling to the floor. This makes him quite cranky and bitey by the time I clean or water or whatever.
I may try to screw a little hide to the wall at roof height tomorrow. Doesn't seem to bother with his perches.

Jamie's right they can and do get stuck, thing is they just keep pushing till they cant go any fiurther and then cant back up due to the orientation of the scales

On a show the other night they showed a green tree snake that got stuck after misjudging the size of the hole.

They can and do get stuck.A lot of keepers use ceramic pots turned up side down for hides and a lot of pythons get their heads through the drainage hole and end up getting stuck and the only way to get them out is to break the pot.

Yup, this happened to me and led to some scale damage on a bredli, and I've since replaced all my hides which were terracotta. Glad you got it out cathy1986.

Sanna is wrong. Snakes can easily get stuck if they go too far into a narrow space and their scales prevent them from backing out. This often leads to significant injury or skin damage. NEVER place items of furniture that YOU can't remove the snake from in enclosures. This can be especially damaging if the snake has recently fed.

Jamie

I said GENERALLY if they can get their head through, the rest of the body will follow - meaning not always. Obviously there are exceptions to this. Besides, my comment was referring to when a snake goes through something and continues (not having to back out.)
Read the comment properly next time, thanks.

yer I got one of those cheap URS hide pot things made from resin, it's lucky it was cheap thin resin because my water python drove into a hole in it he couldn't fit his body through, ended up splitting the casting open to get through, they have no reverse in tight spaces. My dads told me stories of having to cut his diamond out of plenty of things also. stressful for all concerned.

In addition to the red belly in the pc that was posted weeks if not months ago there was also a tiger with it's head stuck in a beer can... as funny as it may have looked would have had horrendous consequences.

Absolutely they can, and often do get stuck. There are plenty of horror stories out there of badly designed enclosures leading to a pets demise.

Can snakes get stuck ???? I'm a bit worried my little spotted has got himself in a tight situation
e8e9ynaq.jpg
nugu4eby.jpg
naty9usu.jpg

My spotted gets in little spots too and can be a pain to get out without hurting it. Now you have it out can you show a pic of it, I love the Spotted's they all seem to have so much swagger they just get into everything!

View attachment 270604While not stuck in the traditional sense, this guy always sits up here. This may appear fine but any attempt to open his click clack results in the poor little bugger tumbling to the floor. This makes him quite cranky and bitey by the time I clean or water or whatever.
I may try to screw a little hide to the wall at roof height tomorrow. Doesn't seem to bother with his perches.

My coastal always used to do this until she took a few too many grumpy tumbles...now she just sits on her wood and hates me :(

I had one on a call out that I had to use a diamond saw in the 9" grinder to remove bricks in a wall to free a tree snake that was stuck in a vent, and I do multiple calls to all species stuck in bird netting. I even had a lady drop off her cats collar that had a swampy stuck in the key ring that is on the collar. Nothing wrong with the snake, cat didn't manage to get it but I had to cut the ring to get him out!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back