Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To say they are just coastals is not correct in the sense that the straight coastal jag ceased to exist quite a time back as they have been put accross every Morelia type for years. In effect it would be near impossible to find a pure coastal jag at all anywhere in the world!

Ridiculous, typically uneducated, hater rubbish comment. There are plenty of pure coastal jags around. Search the for sale section

im curious why arnt pure jags just called a coastal?

most likely because 2 normal coastals will not produce jags...

also the jag co dom morph,has been crossed into so many sub species of spilota,it would be wrong to just call all jags coastals

only coastal x pure coastal jags are coastal jags,the rest are crosses,irian jags,jungle jags,etc

re jags
the first jag ever produced was from 2 normal pure coastals,they were produced by jan eric engel of norway

he bred a jag hatchling back to a parent,to proove out this co dom morph

the Jaguar pattern and colour mutation is a coastal co dominant morph

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

To say they are just coastals is not correct in the sense that the straight coastal jag ceased to exist quite a time back as they have been put accross every Morelia type for years. In effect it would be near impossible to find a pure coastal jag at all anywhere in the world!

i disagree mate

there are PLENTY PURE jags in europe and the uk mate

jan eric engel from norway,who produced the first ever jag,still sells from the original pure coastal jag bloodlines

cheers shaun

Can someone explain how I can post a photo here. You'll have to excuse me...I'm an old fart and not as computer literate as some.....I spent my youth running around the bush catching snakes and lizards and keeping animals and taking photos, where I should have been stuck inside in front of the Nerd box playing with computers.....except they hadn't been invented. Oops I digress. I received a python the other day which I believe to be a Jag and wanted to post the pic, but I don't know how....
HELP. :)

Can someone explain how I can post a photo here. You'll have to excuse me...I'm an old fart and not as computer literate as some.....I spent my youth running around the bush catching snakes and lizards and keeping animals and taking photos, where I should have been stuck inside in front of the Nerd box playing with computers.....except they hadn't been invented. Oops I digress. I received a python the other day which I believe to be a Jag and wanted to post the pic, but I don't know how....
HELP. :)

go to the "go advanced" option, then click on the paper clip icon, then its pretty self explanatory :)

So, its a long story but I ended up with this a couple of days ago......
Have never seen a Jag before and have never really been interested in them but I have to admit, it is a good looking snake.... assuming it is a Jag... Hope the attaching works...(I'm learning)

Attachments

• Jungle 4.jpg
    Jungle 4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Jungles 002.jpg
    Jungles 002.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 152
So, its a long story but I ended up with this a couple of days ago......
Have never seen a Jag before and have never really been interested in them but I have to admit, it is a good looking snake.... assuming it is a Jag... Hope the attaching works...(I'm learning)

Yes, you have a nice looking jag there!

Thanks Sezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. worked it out...........Now all I need to do is to work out how to add an Avatar so you'se can see how handsome I am....(and to get into trouble for an off topic post?)

Thanks Sezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.. worked it out...........Now all I need to do is to work out how to add an Avatar so you'se can see how handsome I am....(and to get into trouble for an off topic post?)

Click on Settings, top right hand corner, then scroll down to "My Settings" & you will see "Edit Avatar". From memory, the pic has to be low-res (100x100 pixels) to work.

if you search jag threads there is a link to a MASSIVE long post explaining what a jag is and where it comes from. im poo on the search function but its there and a very good run down :).

Thank you; slowly learning more each day - though sometimes I think there are as many different answers as new questions lol.

When the original jags were produced there was a picture on the european website at the time ,one looked like a typical coastal and the other like a type of cheynei .

Is anyone with a good understanding of genetics able to explain how a co-dom mutation could arise from two normal looking parents? Obviously recessive mutations can be carried by normal looking animals until two of them happen to pair up but if the parents of the first jags looked normal then they weren't jags themselves.
Would it have to actually be a mutation/flaw that occurred at that exact generation?

The original Jag originated from a fluke mutation.

Anyone who thinks they have pure coastal Jags in Australia must also believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

I thought it was a famous built Car form the UK !! but Norway also rings a bell :facepalm:

Is anyone with a good understanding of genetics able to explain how a co-dom mutation could arise from two normal looking parents? Obviously recessive mutations can be carried by normal looking animals until two of them happen to pair up but if the parents of the first jags looked normal then they weren't jags themselves.
Would it have to actually be a mutation/flaw that occurred at that exact generation?

the jaguar morph is a color and pattern mutation,originating from 2 normal coastals,kept by jan eric engel of norway mate

cheers shaun

cheers shaun

New England Reptile Distributors, designer Ball Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, and much more!

Genetic inheritance of co-dominant genes works in essentially the same manner as genetic inheritance in simple recessive genes, except for the fact that heterozygous animals are visibly different than normals. These visible "hets" can be bred together to produce an even more extreme variation of the mutation, often called a "Super." The "Super" is a dominant form of a co-dominant gene, and can be bred to a normal animal to produce entire clutches of the visible het, or co-dominant form. There is a marked difference between the visible het/co-dominant form and the homozygous super form. When we do not see a visible difference between the het and homozygous forms, the mutation is referred to as dominant as opposed to co-dominant. As with recessive mutations, we can use punnett squares to predict the genetics of offspring from a co-dominant breeding in the same manner as discussed above. One advantage of a co-dominant gene is that we are able to identify the heterozygous and homozygous gene carriers by their physical appearance; these animals will be visibly different from the normal (or wild-type) offspring. From a breeding perspective this is especially useful as there will never be "possible-het" offspring.

Normal X Co-dominant Parent = 50% Co-dominant 50% Normal
Co-dominant X Co-dominant Parent = 25% Normal 50% Co-dominant 25% Supers
Super X Normal = 100% Co-dominant

examples of co-dominant mutations in carpets are jags, zebras and hypo's

- - - Updated - - -

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heterozygous – possessing two different genes for a given trait. An animal with one mutated, recessive gene still appears normal; its mutated gene can be inherited by future offspring. A codominant animal is heterozygous for the dominant form of its mutated gene, yet is different in appearance than both the wild-type and homozygous forms.
Homozygous[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] – A state in which both genes for a specific trait are the same. When a recessive gene is it its homozygous form, it makes the animal look different from the wild-type. When a dominant gene is in its homozygous state, it causes the animal to look different from both the wild-type and the heterozygous (codominant) forms.[/FONT][/FONT]
Super - commonly used herpetocultural term for the dominant form of a co-dominant mutation.

the jaguar morph is a color and pattern mutation,originating from 2 normal coastals,kept by jan eric engel of norway mate

cheers shaun

cheers shaun

Thanks yeah I know this. I meant how would it be possible for two normal parents to produce them. Like Colin said, you need at least one heterozygous parent. That's why I'm wondering if that means the mutation literally began at that generation

Intergrades are normal..... only termed intergrades due to man made boundaries......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back