Girl missing, feared taken by croc in NT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
POLICE have launched a search for a girl who is believed to have been taken by a crocodile while swimming at a waterhole in the Northern Territory.
mf.gif
border="0"
|-
| valign="'middle'" |
| valign="'middle'" |
|-

a2t.img

3WIRfj2O1hU

Published On: 17-Nov-12 12:11 AM
Source: via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

i just dont get it, even here in NSW i KNOW i wouldnt go swimming in any water holes in the NT. ive seen plenty of shows saying just because you dont see them doesnt mean they arent there and the best way to keep safe is NOT to go swimming yet these people live there and assume its safe just because they have never seen one and now a little girl may have payed for that complacency with her life

must of been ahwile till they relized she was missing, if a croc got her i think there would of been some noise splashing water, yelling ect..

You would be surprised how stealthily they can take down their prey, they know the more noise they make means the more crocs they have to share the kill with.

ita easy to see how this happens i live in cairns my local beach allways has children swimming in the beach with parents watching, i tell them that i see crocs their all the time, but they still stay in the water, if you are up north swim in the mountains or a pool or you are playin russian rulette

ita easy to see how this happens i live in cairns my local beach allways has children swimming in the beach with parents watching, i tell them that i see crocs their all the time, but they still stay in the water, if you are up north swim in the mountains or a pool or you are playin russian rulette[/QUOTE

Exactly. I honestly find it hard to beleive there aren't more people taken. Which actually says a lot for the crocs, because there are so many stupid people swimming in places that are even signposted.

Cement my brothers (11 & 16) went up north it was extremely hot so they swam across the river when a guy pointed to a sign that was covered by branches they recon they walked on water to get back Nan said they were really white and didn't need the bathroom for weeks. A little scary to think these things happen out of stupidness or just ignorance.

My thoughts go to the parents, they must be beside themselves with worry and not knowing if croc got her or some creepy stranger stole her, there will be no answers until she is found.

No matter how many signs and warnings you put there will always be a Brave Fool to have a go Who was the tri athlete that swam in the johnstone river to train ?? -- its only home to the Johnstone river crocodile .
I hope they find her safe , but even if she went into the bush up there ???

And my 16 yr old son just left to go into town and i am worried for him!!!

No matter how many signs and warnings you put there will always be a Brave Fool to have a go Who was the tri athlete that swam in the johnstone river to train ?? -- its only home to the Johnstone river crocodile .
I hope they find her safe , but even if she went into the bush up there ???

And my 16 yr old son just left to go into town and i am worried for him!!!

Wouldn't that be a freshy?...

I would be more worried about salt water crocs

Last edited:
This is so very sad the other sad thing is that this will not be the last time and as we all know that crocodile's are very dangerous and if it was me I would have never gone by the waterhole it would put too much fear in me. :(

I saw a guy swimming about 70meters off the beach at Palm Cove, like he was swimming the length of the beach for exercise.
It may have even been that same night that a dog was taken in the lagoon which is situated on the boundary of Clifton and Kewarra beach which is the same beach as Palm cove (southern end). Couple of days after that the croc was killed, then a couple of days after that the rangers trapped another one in the same creek/lagoon.
I saw my first wild croc in Half Moon river at Yorkeys Knob just 15-20 mins nth of Cairns cbd, it was only a 2m one, but back at the beach next to the break wall when I was loading my boat back on the truck there's this guy neck deep in the murky water trying to get his dog to come in for a swim with him! The dog stayed out of the water (smarter then its owner!)
Sure I had to go in the water, launching and retreiving the tinny, the odd swim (clear shallow water after a good look around, and pretty quick dips), pushing the tinny off sandbanks etc, but crocs are everywhere... I saw more crocs then snakes, and had some really interesting encounters with them.
Its a case of taking your life in your own hands and being responsible for your own safety. I feel for the kids that get taken, at least if it was a croc that took them then it would be over pretty quickly. Its a different world up there, beautiful, but safe if you just follow some simple rules. I think some people are so removed from living with bushman type knowledge and instincts they see themselves as bulletproof. (I am talking about white tourists) blackfellas have a different outlook but they still get eaten too.

Wouldn't that be a freshy?...

I would be more worried about salt water crocs

salt water crocs will live in fresh water just as easily as freshies, we have a 2.4 meter salty livin in our dam at work and it is %100 fresh water, he feeds on fish and ducks,and big magpie geese, safest place to swim is in the mountains.

Poor thing. They found the croc and she was inside.
poor croc died for having a feed. cant believe people would let their kids swim up there. yes im sad and sorry that a child has died, but blame the dumb parents. not a wild animal

poor croc died for having a feed. cant believe people would let their kids swim up there. yes im sad and sorry that a child has died, but blame the dumb parents. not a wild animal

There's never been a croc seen in that creek. People have swum there for generations.
Bloody tragic. That croc you like so much is dead and gutted to get that poor kid out. DKhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back