Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks yeah I know this. I meant how would it be possible for two normal parents to produce them. Like Colin said, you need at least one heterozygous parent. That's why I'm wondering if that means the mutation literally began at that generation

That is correct, the mutation first occured in one of the offspring of the original pairing.

the jaguar morph is a color and pattern mutation,originating from 2 normal coastals,kept by jan eric engel of norway mate

cheers shaun

cheers shaun

Actually, the original pairing was an IJ with a mcdowelli. there was a lot of debate about this at the time, but I am pretty sure it was Nick Mutton who confirmed this as he was good friends with Eric. I can't remember why he said it was a pure pair, there was a reason for it, but it came out later that they were an IJ and a mcdowelli.

New England Reptile Distributors, designer Ball Pythons, Reticulated Pythons, and much more!

Genetic inheritance of co-dominant genes works in essentially the same manner as genetic inheritance in simple recessive genes, except for the fact that heterozygous animals are visibly different than normals. These visible "hets" can be bred together to produce an even more extreme variation of the mutation, often called a "Super." The "Super" is a dominant form of a co-dominant gene, and can be bred to a normal animal to produce entire clutches of the visible het, or co-dominant form. There is a marked difference between the visible het/co-dominant form and the homozygous super form. When we do not see a visible difference between the het and homozygous forms, the mutation is referred to as dominant as opposed to co-dominant. As with recessive mutations, we can use punnett squares to predict the genetics of offspring from a co-dominant breeding in the same manner as discussed above. One advantage of a co-dominant gene is that we are able to identify the heterozygous and homozygous gene carriers by their physical appearance; these animals will be visibly different from the normal (or wild-type) offspring. From a breeding perspective this is especially useful as there will never be "possible-het" offspring.

Normal X Co-dominant Parent = 50% Co-dominant 50% Normal
Co-dominant X Co-dominant Parent = 25% Normal 50% Co-dominant 25% Supers
Super X Normal = 100% Co-dominant

examples of co-dominant mutations in carpets are jags, zebras and hypo's

- - - Updated - - -

Heterozygous – possessing two different genes for a given trait. An animal with one mutated, recessive gene still appears normal; its mutated gene can be inherited by future offspring. A codominant animal is heterozygous for the dominant form of its mutated gene, yet is different in appearance than both the wild-type and homozygous forms.
Homozygous – A state in which both genes for a specific trait are the same. When a recessive gene is it its homozygous form, it makes the animal look different from the wild-type. When a dominant gene is in its homozygous state, it causes the animal to look different from both the wild-type and the heterozygous (codominant) forms.

Super - commonly used herpetocultural term for the dominant form of a co-dominant mutation.
Just anuva day at the office............think i better save this on me pc cause it guna take a while to sink in...lol...Thanks Col

Ha, it's quite amazing that this topic causes such angst. As a newbie I just don't get the fuss.

Anyway, great question OP, I have wondered this too.

is it possible for the mutation to come about due to the lack of genetic diversity in Australian species being exported?
it's funny producing mutations of a protected species is illegal in qld yet people are still doing it

Actually, the original pairing was an IJ with a mcdowelli. there was a lot of debate about this at the time, but I am pretty sure it was Nick Mutton who confirmed this as he was good friends with Eric. I can't remember why he said it was a pure pair, there was a reason for it, but it came out later that they were an IJ and a mcdowelli.

thanks for correcting me mate.....

i hate giving out wrong information (my bad)

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

is it possible for the mutation to come about due to the lack of genetic diversity in Australian species being exported?

if that were the case,then would there not be MORE frequently occuring Morphs/mutations turning up,as the lines get more and more inbred ?

hope that makes sense,it's 3:20am over here

cheers shaun

Last edited:
it's funny producing mutations of a protected species is illegal in qld yet people are still doing it

No, inbreeding or lack of genetic diversity does not cause mutations. In addition to this the genetic diversity of overseas carpet populations would be much greater then most people think.

No, inbreeding or lack of genetic diversity does not cause mutations. In addition to this the genetic diversity of overseas carpet populations would be much greater then most people think.

it sure is mate

you would be surprized at how much new Morelia,keeps magically appearing in Europe :D

cheers shaun

p.s.we're still waiting on some bloodlines as nice as, the Ozzy Hypo Coastals and Hypo Bredl appearing though

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but as mentioned above, I think the reason Jan Eric stated that his jags were a result of two coastals (mcdowelli) was that he was only licenced (in Norway?) to have mcdowelli and didn't want to get into trouble with authorities for having species that he wasn't licenced for........sorry to drag up this old thread but I wanted anotherlook at the photo of that jag that I scored....for freee.... they can be the best types...
Oh well, one year in quarantine and maybe I can breed him......
Please correct me if I'm wrong..........

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but as mentioned above, I think the reason Jan Eric stated that his jags were a result of two coastals (mcdowelli) was that he was only licenced (in Norway?) to have mcdowelli and didn't want to get into trouble with authorities for having species that he wasn't licenced for........sorry to drag up this old thread but I wanted anotherlook at the photo of that jag that I scored....for freee.... they can be the best types...
Oh well, one year in quarantine and maybe I can breed him......
Please correct me if I'm wrong..........

thanks for the information mate.....

it makes perfect sense as Norway has very strict laws on snakes

so the jag Morph could well be an Irian Jaya mutation as opposed to a Coastal Morph,which most people thinks it is

my thanks to everyone,who posted info on the jag morph and Jan

cheers shaun

it sure is mate

you would be surprized at how much new Morelia,keeps magically appearing in Europe :D

cheers shaun

p.s.we're still waiting on some bloodlines as nice as, the Ozzy Hypo Coastals and Hypo Bredl appearing though

Next Hamm expo Shaun... the Black Van on the back carpark the one under the broken lamp. See the bloke there he should be able to sort you out.

Nick Mutton was speculating that it was from IJ to Coastal pairing. He has since changed his mind and is now selling pure coastal jaguar pythons( from original pairing of coastal to coastal by Jan Eric Engel.

- - - Updated - - -

There was no friendship between those two individuals.

Nick Mutton was speculating that it was from IJ to Coastal pairing. He has since changed his mind and is now selling pure coastal jaguar pythons( from original pairing of coastal to coastal by Jan Eric Engel.

From day 1 I was positive IJ was in the mix
I was also sure in my guts the neuro came from the IJ side
Every time I mentioned it I was slam dunked from all sides
Quite interesting bits coming out now

I would love to hear some actual evidence from both sides instead of hearsay rubbish.

Jan Engels wrote a paper on jags several years ago
But it was written several years after the jags were released for sale
He is the only one who knows the truth
Exactly how much of what he said is the truth is open to conjecture in my opinion

That paper is readily available on the web in many sites

Does anyone know how big a jag sib will get? will they get as big and thick as a normal jag or because they don't have that gene will they be smaller thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back