Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaigeN

Reaction score
Okay i want a python i love snakes! But.. I have a chihuahua and i am worried eventually when my snake is big enough an accident might happen between the 2 like my dog becoming dinner, shes about 5 inches tall. I wanted a jungle python but did not want to risk it so what about a stimson, woma or spotted? Is carpet out of the question? ( i dont want to risk anything) i want to not have to worry that if my snake escapes i will find a big lump in its stomach when i find it. If anyone can please help!

Last edited:
1 don't let them escape and you won't have a problem
2 if there was to be an issue between a snake and a dog they would potentially kill 1 or the other.
3 if you get a smaller species and it was to escape you would potentially end up with a dead snake if the dog is able to get to it.

These shouldn't be an issue if your a responsible keeper, if you have to ask then snakes probably aren't for you.

Not sure if your trolling so tried to give a proper answer

Last edited:
I have worked with pythons and love them, i also love my dog i know she would not go near the snake, i just needed some advice on which is the best pet, the pythons i work with arent natives because there at a zoo so the pythons im interested in i havent worked with so i just needed help but like i said i love carpet pythons especially jungle, it is a personal choice but what is the best out of woma, spotted, carpet or stimson?

- - - Updated - - -

But yes i do agree with the post above

- - - Updated - - -

But yes i do agree with the post above

I have a Jungle and a Bredli along with guinea pigs, cats and dogs all in the same house and sometimes room (depending where he dogs and cats wander). I've had no issues of the snakes trying to eat my other animals. If you keep the JCP in his/her cage and play with him in a seperate room to your dog, you'll be fine :)

Thanks, yeah i trust my dog not to go near the snake i wanted to see if anyone had serious problems with their pythons and pets because this is my first pet python not a work one and i would hate to have to get rid of it if there was problems between the 2 but im confident

Perhaps an Antaresia might be a better option. I have 2 large dogs, 3 cats, 5 axolotls, a horse and a snake living at my house. So far nobody has eaten anybody. I am keen to keep it that way, so snakey-poo (a spotted python) is kept in my office, with the door always closed if I am not home, and everyone else is monitored when I am in there. In the interests of not keeping pets that are bigger than me AND higher on the food chain, our 7ft coastal python lives at my boyfriend's house. If you are sensible and keep an eye on things, it should be fine.

Yes i love the JCP but feel more comftorble with say a stimson they have really caught my eye aswell, truthfully i would LOVE! A ball or corn but not in australia :(

Yes i love the JCP but feel more comftorble with say a stimson they have really caught my eye aswell, truthfully i would LOVE! A ball or corn but not in australia :(

Omg tell me about it! I would give someone else's right arm for a Ball python. I am actually hoping to (one day) get my hands on a Platinum Blonde or Granite Spotted Python, but at this stage not holding my breathe.

I smell a rat :rolleyes: Hmmmm PaigeN? Pagen? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• troll-web copy.jpg
    troll-web copy.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
i own a chihuahua and have had her for 9 years i also own 3 other dogs, 4 birds, 9 chickens, turtles, fish, geckos, dragons, geckos and pythons and i own fully grown blackheads, bredlis, diamonds, coastals, darwin. and i have never had a snake eat one of my other pets.

i own a chihuahua and have had her for 9 years i also own 3 other dogs, 4 birds, 9 chickens, turtles, fish, geckos, dragons, geckos and pythons and i own fully grown blackheads, bredlis, diamonds, coastals, darwin. and i have never had a snake eat one of my other pets.

Yes, but you dont realise.... your snakes havent been toung flicking actually..... they are actually looking at your other pets and licking thier lips..... waiting to eat them (especially the chihuahua) Mmmmmm evidently they taste like chicken, only a little less fowel :lol:

lol, i don't think so. my pythons are well feed. and my chihuahua has no interest going near them.

how do you know what a chihuahua tastes like, are you the one going around stealing peoples dogs and eating them?

Okay i want a python i love snakes! But.. I have a chihuahua and i am worried eventually when my snake is big enough an accident might happen between the 2 like my dog becoming dinner, shes about 5 inches tall. I wanted a jungle python but did not want to risk it so what about a stimson, woma or spotted? Is carpet out of the question? ( i dont want to risk anything) i want to not have to worry that if my snake escapes i will find a big lump in its stomach when i find it. If anyone can please help!

Are you serious I ask myself, its a little hard to believe. If this is one of the first thoughts that goes through your head I would suggest reassessing things all together. Its rather like "I am thinking off getting a hair dryer but don't know if I should use it while lying in the bath". Its a situation easily avoided if you apply common sense.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Get a scrub python everything will be fine.

I take no responsibility for what you do....

I'm going to try play the dumb good guy here... Ok, so taken in context, the OP has never owned a snake but is looking to which is an admirable quality in my opinion. He also owns a large hairless rat thing that we kindly refer to as a dog or "chiwawa" (deliberate misspelling).

Im sure most of us at one stage or another in our herp keeping years have wondered at or seen the consequences of small animals and pets (be it mice, rats or chiwawas) playing with our scaley friends. Common sense dictates in this situation that either a) The OP gets a snake that is too small to eat the chiwawa or b)They keep their larger snake away from a tempting lunchbox on legs. But, in this day and age, common sense has been replaced by the Internet or "forums" and so those with no common sense venture into the forums seeking advice.

Now, but to the original question.. The OP (and no offense intended) asked a valid but silly (to us) question about what happens if Mr Hiss meets Chiwawa and what could prevent the worst possible outcome. In answer to that, rather than calling troll, id10t, muppet or various other "forum" terms, lets see if we can graciously impart our knowledge.

OP, keep them separated, keep the enclosure secure and know where your chiwawa is at all times when you have the snake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back