Baby Red Belly Black or????????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a photo to support that claim because in my experience it is only the snout or RBBs that are lighter.

I don't have any pics of my own to post but if you do a quick search I sure you will find more than a few.

Last edited:
Plenty of red bellies with white-brown heads around Central Coast-North QLD.
Most of them look disgusting but ones with entirely different coloured heads are cool.

Do you have a photo to support that claim because in my experience it is only the snout or RBBs that are lighter.
Whilst black some have brown snouts, white-brown snouts and some individuals have brown heads and of course a albino specimen wouldn't be black ;)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help in identifing the little fellow. We do have another resident that I would like to know about but without photos I can see that it maybe be a hit and miss. It is about 2' long and a creamish colour with a darker head. Very shy and has only been seen twice. They never seem to present when a camera is in hand :rolleyes:. Any way that is probably best put in another post. Right now I best get to some work so thank you again and hope to chat again soon.

I agree mate that nearly all RBBs have dark heads (usually bar the snout), but GeckoJosh is right in that some don't. It's just that troublesome minority, the always-present 'exception to the rule' where you get them with brown/lighter heads.
_crop.jpg

Sorry should've added this is one I caught in South-east QLD on a callout.

CamdeJong,Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. The best I could find on google was….
RBB.jpg

Gecko Josh, my apologies if I came across as a ‘doubting Thomas’. I am not a cynic by nature, however, after many years and many instances of what people say they perceived not closely matching the reality of their actual experiences, I tend to be a little on the sceptical side… usually based on my own experiences.

When I lived in NSW I saw quite a few RBBs over the 15 years or so I was actively herping there. I never saw an animal with brown beyond the snout. I did, however, see a not insignificant number that were totally black on the snout.

Do you guys consider this is primarily a Qld thing or does it also exist in NSW and Victoria?

Blue

I've never caught another one like that mate so I have no idea whether it's a regional trait. Always good to be skeptical and I didn't consider your previous response cynical.
Cam

i have caught an RBB a few years back with a complete Brown head,i have a picture of it im just looking it up and ill post it,very interesting find

Ok mods start suspending Keelback offenders if its obvious

There was a thread on here some time ago which had a picture of a red bellied black snake that had a completely brown head, but for the life of me I can't find it.

if you are from hamilton my money is on copperhead, its full of them down there

There are plenty of copperheads around Hamilton and south west Victoria generally. Most of the ones I've seen on plains country are a light, coppery colour. I've seen dark ones like this in Otways forests. Copperheads are variable and the most commonly confused species with blacksnakes in Victoria, particularly around Melbourne where there's only a few localities that have red bellies.

Ok mods start suspending Keelback offenders if its obvious

It was hardly evident from the original post, as no locality, and a very general description was given. If you read the thread from start to finish you will notice the wild guesses that everyone was having. My comment was made before any picture was posted, so hardly 'obvious'.

The information I gave after the keelback line was in line with the rules of the thread, I gave my opinion that the species could not be identified without more information and the reason for it.

It was hardly evident from the original post, as no locality, and a very general description was given. If you read the thread from start to finish you will notice the wild guesses that everyone was having. My comment was made before any picture was posted, so hardly 'obvious'.

The information I gave after the keelback line was in line with the rules of the thread, I gave my opinion that the species could not be identified without more information and the reason for it.

You were trying to be funny and failed miserably, just accept it :p

You were trying to be funny and failed miserably, just accept it :p

For the purpose of closing the thread since everything has been said and done, I admit my attempt to use the old keelback line from 2008 (not 10 years ago Sel) was a failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back