Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Phatty. I was too quick

Or in the NT, just a common tree snake. Things are everywhere :)

Unfortunately not so common in VIC ;) All I see down here are browns, coopers and tigers. I saw some really nice CTS when I was still in Cairns. One I saw was almost black on top.

Thanks. I always thought Night Tiger was just another 'local' name for a common tree snake... Guess I was half right.

Brown Tree Snake Boiga irregularis.

Although it is essentially the same species, that particular specimen is not the type I would refer to as a Night Tiger or Candy Cane.

SniperCap has a Candy Cane pictured here (3rd pic) http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/photos-196583/page/5#post2282320

Just looked it up. You're right it is a BTS. For some reason I always mix them up. Oh well... I suppose it is better than confusing a BTS and a Taipan

Just looked it up. You're right it is a BTS. For some reason I always mix them up. Oh well... I suppose it is better than confusing a BTS and a Taipan

They are both essentially BTS. It's just the Night Tiger common name is usually (not always) associated with the brown(almost orange)/white banded form.

I'm with you on the names Gruni, I am only new to herps too and I like to see the common names as I feel I am too old to learn Latin. I do always try to identify the species from the pic before I look for the written name though.

I just wish we had Pythons here in suburban SA, Normally only see Elapids and lizards around here and even then they seem to be getting rarer with all the housing going up in my area :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back