What wood to use/not use for tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:) fully up to what task Peter? I've been the DIY guru/tragic around here for a few years, nothing's changed except now I have minor name change. I've always been happy to jump into DIY threads.

I can't help with the bondcrete as sealer, I've never used it. Maybe it just comes down to wether or not you're happy to use it

Bunnings in Vic don't stock pondtite anymore. For some reason it is quite hard to find down here. I use the crommelin clear pond sealer. It works just as well. I then just lightly scratched the surface with steel wool like jax said. I found I only needed a small tub so itwirked out quite cheap.

:) fully up to what task Peter? I've been the DIY guru/tragic around here for a few years, nothing's changed except now I have minor name change. I've always been happy to jump into DIY threads.

I can't help with the bondcrete as sealer, I've never used it. Maybe it just comes down to wether or not you're happy to use it

thanks for all your answers. :)

Bunnings in Vic don't stock pondtite anymore. For some reason it is quite hard to find down here. I use the crommelin clear pond sealer. It works just as well. I then just lightly scratched the surface with steel wool like jax said. I found I only needed a small tub so itwirked out quite cheap.

yea my local dont have it either (went in and looked yesterday).

? y o u a r e t h e n e w D Y I m o d.

:) yes I'm one of them, Peterwookie is the other, knowing DIY isn't a prerequisite though, we're only here to make sure people adhere to the rules and play nice with each other.

We seem to have diverted a little from the original query, so lets keep this one timber related :)

Having an interest in DIY would be beneficial to the DIY mods because you are more likely to spend more time looking through the threads. :) From what I've seen so far Jax spends a lot of time,in the DIY forum. It is just a bonus to have such a helpful, passionate mod.

As for the original question. If you are looking at covering three sides with wood you might as well just build a new enclosure. Bunnings have cheap melamine sheets 1200x595x16 for about $20ea. I spent under $150 on materials and it took a couple of hrs to build to build a 4x2x2. My python was exploring his new home a couple of days later once the silicon had aired.

Melamine is fine, majority of enclosures are made out of the stuff.

MDF is fine as well.All my enclosures are made with MDF and are over 12 years old,they still are in very good condition.None of our snakes have developed cancer or anything else in that time.

As far as the OPs question goes yes you can use 6mm mdf to line the outsides of the tank.

MDF is fine as well.All my enclosures are made with MDF and are over 12 years old,they still are in very good condition.None of our snakes have developed cancer or anything else in that time.

As far as the OPs question goes yes you can use 6mm mdf to line the outsides of the tank.

Thanks, it's very hard as I hear different answers .most of what I heard was no dont use MDF,but here u are with no probs with the stuff at all.i wish I had seen this reply earlier as I've already made styrofoam backgrounds,thanks anyways

At least now you'll have more choice if you decide to make one.
So where's the pics of the background ? Haven't you heard the unwritten rule of APS ?
Pics or it didn't happen

The main trouble with using fish tanks for reptiles is the obvious lack of ventilation, if you have to use the fish tank, definately styrofoam would be best for heat insulation, and make sure the finished tank is in a place where there is a bit of a breeze, so some air can get into the bottom of the tank….
There is a alternative to this, using the convection current generated by the heater…
Convection current diagram - vents at top.JPG
Blue

I haven't read everyones replies here - so if this has been said I apologise.

I was in the tropics, Cairns, so heating wasn't usually an issue - however, I used a fish tank for my adult spotted python and she loved it. The tank I got was slightly defective, so not for water, so I got it cheap. As for heating, in the bottom, over my fake grass (I actually used marine carpet or shade cloth depending on my mood) I had bricks down the hot end. On the underneath of the glass I had a heat mat attached to a thermostat. Surprisingly it used to get a tad cold in Cairns from time to time.

The bricks would hold the heat for ages and the snake would bask on the bricks for long periods at a time.

The roof to the enclosure was Tasmanian oak frame with mouse wire - so it was completely open.

During the hottest months I had a set of 4 computer fans wired up to a 12V transformer that moved air efficiently out of the tank and kept the tank much cooler.

On the outside on the back wall and one of the side walls, I had the option of gluing some polystyrene - because it was on the outside of the tank it made no difference to the snake, no chemicals, no urine on it etc etc.

Plus I painted the polystyrene with water based paint, in blue...

Personally, even if I do say so myself, it looked awesome!

Unfortunately, when I moved I broke the polystyrene and I never replaced it.

Make sure with the heat mat you use the feet provided to lift the tank off the ground to allow some air flow.

This is the advice I can give to you from previous experience.

Good luck :)

CaptainRatbag,
I think you would be surprised at how efficient at moving air the set up in the diagram is. It is really easy to demonstrate for yourself. Get an empty fish tank and place a lit tealight candle inside at one end. Cover the middle two thirds of the open top with a piece of glass or wood or a towel or whatever. Allow a few minutes for it to establish then place a smoking incense stick in the open top, opposite side to the candle.

Using aquariums as enclosures presents problems with ventilation, heat retention and an escape proof lockable lid. Those who know what they are doing can overcome these problems. However, I would certainly not recommend it to any without a few years of keeping experience under their belt. Whilst there are always exceptions to the rule, I consider it a clear no no for any novice just starting.

Blue

I didn't look where the OP is but I'm in northern NSW and I use a 2ft tank quite well for my Mac. I have covered three of the outer walls with fishtank background. It has worked well as an insulator but also because it sits in my wall unit. The temps have proved quite constant. And ventilation doesn't seem to be an issue.

P3010039.JPGP3010036.JPGP1240003.JPGP1240002.JPG

At least now you'll have more choice if you decide to make one.
So where's the pics of the background ? Haven't you heard the unwritten rule of APS ?
Pics or it didn't happen

ummmmm lol shame .ill see if I can post sumthing up

- - - Updated - - -

There is a alternative to this, using the convection current generated by the heater…
View attachment 274754
Blue

thanks for that

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read everyones replies here - so if this has been said I apologise.

I was in the tropics, Cairns, so heating wasn't usually an issue - however, I used a fish tank for my adult spotted python and she loved it. The tank I got was slightly defective, so not for water, so I got it cheap. As for heating, in the bottom, over my fake grass (I actually used marine carpet or shade cloth depending on my mood) I had bricks down the hot end. On the underneath of the glass I had a heat mat attached to a thermostat. Surprisingly it used to get a tad cold in Cairns from time to time.

The bricks would hold the heat for ages and the snake would bask on the bricks for long periods at a time.

The roof to the enclosure was Tasmanian oak frame with mouse wire - so it was completely open.

During the hottest months I had a set of 4 computer fans wired up to a 12V transformer that moved air efficiently out of the tank and kept the tank much cooler.

On the outside on the back wall and one of the side walls, I had the option of gluing some polystyrene - because it was on the outside of the tank it made no difference to the snake, no chemicals, no urine on it etc etc.

Plus I painted the polystyrene with water based paint, in blue...

Personally, even if I do say so myself, it looked awesome!

Unfortunately, when I moved I broke the polystyrene and I never replaced it.

Make sure with the heat mat you use the feet provided to lift the tank off the ground to allow some air flow.

This is the advice I can give to you from previous experience.

Good luck :)

Hey thanks heaps for tht.i have already made styrofoam walls well tried too for 3sides.am using a heat lamp not a mat.i have also made a wooden frame with mouse mesh but have covered the mesh on the lamp side with wood so the doesn't escape straight away and left the cool side just mesh

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't look where the OP is but I'm in northern NSW and I use a 2ft tank quite well for my Mac. I have covered three of the outer walls with fishtank background. It has worked well as an insulator but also because it sits in my wall unit. The temps have proved quite constant. And ventilation doesn't seem to be an issue.

View attachment 274781View attachment 274782View attachment 274783View attachment 274784
oh looks good

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 274951

Hope this works.1st attempt at syyrofoam anything lol

Mdf msds

I'm no expert but I believe Mdf in particular is formed together into boards using a glue that has arsenic or aspartame in it. I would think this would cause your pet some issues, especially in the long run. A lot of people use melamine for their enclosures.
Otherwise If you need to use the Mdf then perhaps put it on the outside. Your other option is to make yourself a nice styrofoam background to line all three walls. Will give a great effect and is really easy to do. Have a look through the forum and on YouTube for plenty of tutorials

moses

Hey guys, i have seen in quite a few posts in the DIY section where there is confusion as to the pro's and con's of using MDF because of it's composition, Having been an interstate truck driver for all of my adult life i made a habit of getting the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for everything i carted just in case of fire or spillage in the case of an accident so the emergency services had on hand everything they needed on the products.
You can find the link (in pdf form) here http://www.chhwoodproducts.com.au/files/msds/MSDS-COLOURpyne-MDF-LPM-MSDS-43.pdf so if there is any problem in your minds about the safety of using MDF or HDF you will find all you need to know in the MSDS
Hope this helps

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back