Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveMYdiamond12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I've recently bought my first snake, a yearling diamond python, she's now going through her first shed since being in my care. I'm worried because it's been going on for weeks now, first of all i noticed some skin on her cage floor so i searched the rest of the vivarium and found no more. I thought this was strange because she hadn't had cloudy eyes or any other of the usual signs.
About a week later her skin stated to look faded and eyes went blue, but it's been about another week since that. Iv'e been reading a lot of threads on the subject and have increased the humidity but i have also read that a lot of diamond pythons don't shed for up to 5 days after their eyes clear up. I noticed her eyes have cleared up today but i was wondering when you know if you need to soak them.
Should i wait a few more days?? should i soak her now?? I'm really confused as i found some skin weeks ago but the rest is still attached.

My gtp only takes a few hours, seems like a very very long time. Try misting your snake when it's coming up to slough. Or tonight put in a wet pillow case for an hour, from what I have read on previous threads this is a sure fire way to fix the problem.

cheers Dave

I only ever mist my Coastals and I only ever do it once when I first see milky eyes. My MD and Diamond have perfect sloughs without the aid of misting although I have seen the MD in his water bowl on more than one occaision but it never coincides with shed cycle.

It does seem like a really long time to shed, I think the wet pillow case sounds like a good idea :)

It sounds like your diamond had a bad shed when you first got her and has since gone into a new shed cycle. After the 'blue
phase of the shed cycle it takes a few days for them to actually shed. Give it a week or so before you panic. When she does shed give her a look over to see if there's any retained skin. I'm sure she'll be just fine.

You can't measure the humidity in the enclosure? I'd guess it's too dry in there, just add another water source to the hot end. It will probably soak itself if it feels the need..can you see where any skin has come off when you look at the snake?

My diamond just shed, after his eyes went cloudy it took about a week for him to put his new suit on. However it was a bad shed and he left bits all over him. I placed him in some very Luke warm water and the next day all the large bits had come off. On the tip of the tail I noticed more unshod skin so I took him out on the grass with a wet cloth and gently helped him out of it. I also place a large flat dish in so he can soak which he does when coming up to a shed. Try some of these.:)

If you're having issues retaining humidity, a good substrate may be all you need. Korkgrandulate and kritters krumble are great to help hold humidity.
It would'nt hurt to soak or lightly mist daily to make sure theres not another bad shed as already said.

I have been misting her cage at least once a day for the last fortnight or so, and Iv'e just bought some of that kritter's crumble but haven't put it in her cage yet, it has aspen in there at the moment.
As for the bit of skin i did find, i have been looking but could not actually find where abouts it came from.
I think i'll give her a few more days then and see if she does it herself, but if i need to would a largeish snake bag work the same as a pillow case?

A warm bath wouldnt go astray, I bet (for the snake, not you)

Where are you located? ie, what is your climate? Dry, hot, humid?

Welcome to APS by the way :)

A warm bath wouldnt go astray, I bet (for the snake, not you)

Where are you located? ie, what is your climate? Dry, hot, humid?

Welcome to APS by the way :)

Cheers for the welcome :) i live in Adelaide so it isn't very humid and it has been pretty hot lately, could that have something to do with it?

Like others have said give it a couple days. I haven't used a wet pillow case before. What I do is put towels in a plastic bin. Then I soak them with warm water. I fill it up so that the water fills up the bottom. I put the snake in, and leave it in there for a couple hours.(I always keep an eye on it as its not totally safe to leave them in there with water). If there is still stuck shed on the snake I sandwich it between two towels. I apply gentile pressure and let the snake slither out. That has always taken care of the problem for me. Just my 0.2.

Last edited:
Make a humid hide for it...simple and easy.

Step 1 buy a sterelite tub that your snake will fit in.

Step 2 cut a hole big enough for your snake to fit in, in the lid

Step 3 use either sphagnum moss, bought from Lowes, Bunnings or Home Depot and put it inside. You can also use damp shop towels (the blue ones you buy at the auto parts store or department store). Dampen your moss or towels.

Step 4 put the lid on and place inside the viv near your heat source.

Step 5 snake will go in, hang out and have a perfect shed.

Moss is about $4 a bag, tub is $3-7 depending on size. So for around $10 you shouldn't worry about a bad shed again.

jagagybu.jpg

There is one I made for my boa. She's too big for it but insists on hanging out in it. That's a 10" round cake saver thing I bought at the dollar store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Make a humid hide for it...simple and easy.

Step 1 buy a sterelite tub that your snake will fit in.

Step 2 cut a hole big enough for your snake to fit in, in the lid

Step 3 use either sphagnum moss, bought from Lowes, Bunnings or Home Depot and put it inside. You can also use damp shop towels (the blue ones you buy at the auto parts store or department store). Dampen your moss or towels.

Step 4 put the lid on and place inside the viv near your heat source.

Step 5 snake will go in, hang out and have a perfect shed.

Moss is about $4 a bag, tub is $3-7 depending on size. So for around $10 you shouldn't worry about a bad shed again.

jagagybu.jpg

There is one I made for my boa. She's too big for it but insists on hanging out in it. That's a 10" round cake saver thing I bought at the dollar store.

I make thoes for most of my geckos. Half the year I'm useing coco fiber for lay boxes then the other half I use paper towels. Paper towels are cheaper and work well enough if you layer two or three.

Thanks heaps will get on to making one today :)
have heard of the idea but had no idea what substrate to put in the hide.
Just one more quick question, do you keep dampening the moss/towels etc?

Also be sure that you have some rough items in the cage that they can catch their skin on to slough it off......

Thanks heaps will get on to making one today :)
have heard of the idea but had no idea what substrate to put in the hide.
Just one more quick question, do you keep dampening the moss/towels etc?

I use sphagnum. I use a spray bottle and just mist it every other day while its in there. When its not in shed she just uses it as a hide. Dunno why, you can see her still :p

Again I add... Use a camomile teabag to make the warm soak if it does have a bad shed. The oils help soften the skin and sooth the snakes irritation and make it even easier to get the dead skin off, this will work with the pillowcase/towel method especially if you soak the cloth in the warm tea water. I don't know about Caliherp's idea of how long you soak the snake for, using this method 20-30mins is adequate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back