Warning read this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgie

Reaction score
This is something that had never entered my mind.

I was in with the snakes feeding and i had one of the Tiger tubs out getting ready to feed it so i opened the tub and the snake came up flat out as they do looking for a feed and the next thing the power went out and i was left standing there in the dark unable to see the snake.I yelled out at the top of my voice,get a _______ torch so she did and came in shinning the light and as it turned out the snake had the mouse but it could have been me the snake had.

So remember to take a torch or some other lighting in with you at night when your feeding Elapid's or else you will end up on the beep beep beep machine in hospital.:(

It's stories like these that inform those wanting Vens or dealing with them. Glad you came out unscathed mate.

****Note to self, don't buy a venomous snake :D****

Oh, jee...let me think, how about not dying or not ending up on the beep beep machine? :lol: but then again.....maybe invite someone you despise into your house and let them feed the vens.....then run outside and cut the power! Bwahahahaha

This is something that had never entered my mind.

I was in with the snakes feeding and i had one of the Tiger tubs out getting ready to feed it so i opened the tub and the snake came up flat out as they do looking for a feed and the next thing the power went out and i was left standing there in the dark unable to see the snake.I yelled out at the top of my voice,get a _______ torch so she did and came in shinning the light and as it turned out the snake had the mouse but it could have been me the snake had.

So remember to take a torch or some other lighting in with you at night when your feeding Elapid's or else you will end up on the beep beep beep machine in hospital.:(

Always wear a quality headlight that is tested regularly, that way both your hand are free should the unthinkable happen. Bet your heart sank.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

bah ha ha! Your one evil and angry teenager... :) remind me not to upset you! :) ha ha ha. Iv got a $50 dollar bill in one at the back on one of my elapid enclosures. lol.... too bad its super glued! :) ha ha ha
but vens arnt for everyone... heaps more interesting tho!

I think that is a classic piece of evidence to support the contention that snakes only bite for a reason – to obtain food or in self defence. I am pleased for your sake that the snake’s sense of smell works better in the dark than does human eyesight.

Blue

WOW!! Very good advice! I keep a touch on my girls enclosure any way because before I go to bed I like to make sure she is all good. That way I dont have to turn the big light on and give her a fright! So glad your ok tho!!!

bah ha ha! Your one evil and angry teenager... :) remind me not to upset you! :) ha ha ha. Iv got a $50 dollar bill in one at the back on one of my elapid enclosures. lol.... too bad its super glued! :) ha ha ha
but vens arnt for everyone... heaps more interesting tho!

Evil but not angry ;) Best stay on my good side....you'll regret moving to the bad one :twisted:

Hahaha, that is a great idea! You should have one nailed to a log or something in the enclosure as well :lol:

You didn’t mention whether it warranted a change of underwear… You should at least be thankful for small mercies. You could have done the male thing and just happened to give the nuts a good scratch while preparing mouse dinners. That might have seen a different outcome. It is enough to make a certain sphincter pucker just thinking about it. Perish the thought!

Given what happened, I really do think that having a torch handy when accessing vens at night is a ‘should do’ for all ven keepers. It is probably not a bad idea with all other reptiles. If you have a cage open and cannot see what is going on, the tenant or tenants may vacate before you can get the situation under control. A good idea all round.

I am very much pleased that you came through it unscathed. That is most important!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont believe vens and tubs go well together you were luky this time last week shane black was hit in the chest with a tiapan
it might be a cheap and easy way to keep them but . i dont believe it the best way

It's like with my lacies when I go into their aviary at night to do some maintenance. If it's been a warm day and their body temp hasn't dropped, they will race out of their hides expecting food, and you wont see them coming. They're not always fast asleep, even at 8pm.

this time last week shane black was hit in the chest with a tiapan

This is news to me. No wonder I felt crook last week....I thought it was something I ate. Seriously though, I've only ever been bitten once by a Coastal Taipan and it was a wild animal in the bush. I've never had any problems keeping elapids in tubs or racks, but each to their own.

Haha Shane - last week I was bragging about a Western Brown Snake bite. It was news to me too.

I once had a blackout happen while I was tailing a big cranky Coastal Taipan. My herp room at the time had polished concrete floors, so I slid it to the other end and hoped it went the other day while I went for the door. It worked...it's one of those situations that is pretty much unavoidable.

Im not a massive fan of elapids and tubs either, unless they have a lid on them... Id prefer to know where it is before i open enclosures. i know this is not always possible but i strongly believe in minimising chances...

arnt rumours amazing??

- - - Updated - - -

Im not a massive fan of elapids and tubs either, unless they have a lid on them... Id prefer to know where it is before i open enclosures. i know this is not always possible but i strongly believe in minimising chances...

arnt rumours amazing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back