Lets talk business..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So im not going to make squillions doing this,well why am i doing it..Because i love reptiles..lol.

So im not going to make squillions doing this,well why am i doing it..Because i love reptiles..lol.

Being an obviously expensive thing to get into it really is reassuring knowing that it can fund itself somewhat if done correctly, but the love of reptiles is deffinatly the reason :)

You are always going to spend money in a hobbies with some returns but if you love what you are doing than go for it. The experience alone will be worth it and as you say you want quality not quantity don't spend more money than you afford to, go slow and learn. This year is a new year for great adventures good luck.

You are always going to spend money in a hobbies with some returns but if you love what you are doing than go for it. The experience alone will be worth it and as you say you want quality not quantity don't spend more money than you afford to, go slow and learn. This year is a new year for great adventures good luck.

Thanks for that :) really do appreciate the support

If you say it is not extremely profitable then you are going about it wrong... No offence just saying and don't come up with food costs, electricity bills and substrates or what not because lets face it many of the top breeders breed their own rodents, use heats chords / mats and paper substrate and the cost all up for that is equal to just one clutch from one pair of many breeders. The only expense is initial cost such as tubs, racks and the animals themselves.

MK, I see you are 19 years old... so I'm sure you have a wealth of info and rags-to-riches stories about those who have made extreme profits from reptile breeding. I've been in the game for 50+ years, know heaps of big-time keepers and professional breeders - some have done OK by investing VERY large sums of money on high-end morphs (and taking the consequent risks...), but most are making a little extra pocket money after covering costs. Those who do OK are the niche-market breeders - geckos seem to be the go atm, but breed a clutch of 35 bredli and see how quickly you can sell them into an already oversupplied market.

Pick your species carefully and you will maximise the potential income, but just as Budgies, Canaries and Zebra Finches are the bread and butter for pet shops, and keep them afloat financially just by the numbers sold, so it is with some reptile species - you need heaps of them to keep them going out the door, and as a result your feeding, housing and heating costs increase.

Jamie

Breeding reptiles is cheaper than milking cows, probably about as profitable as playing golf. I dont play but I hear some make a living whilst others just do it for the challenge.

MK, I see you are 19 years old... so I'm sure you have a wealth of info and rags-to-riches stories about those who have made extreme profits from reptile breeding. I've been in the game for 50+ years, know heaps of big-time keepers and professional breeders - some have done OK by investing VERY large sums of money on high-end morphs (and taking the consequent risks...), but most are making a little extra pocket money after covering costs. Those who do OK are the niche-market breeders - geckos seem to be the go atm, but breed a clutch of 35 bredli and see how quickly you can sell them into an already oversupplied market.

Pick your species carefully and you will maximise the potential income, but just as Budgies, Canaries and Zebra Finches are the bread and butter for pet shops, and keep them afloat financially just by the numbers sold, so it is with some reptile species - you need heaps of them to keep them going out the door, and as a result your feeding, housing and heating costs increase.

Jamie

I may be 19 but I would still be able to set up an breeding colony of a few species that would make me quite a large profit...It really isn't that hard. I study, play sport, socialize and work so I really cannot be bothered quite yet into breeding as money is not everything to me. If you cannot make big money off breeding snakes, again ... you are doing it wrong.

Since when does it cost on going money for housing? As I said that is included in the initial cost. Feeding is supplied by your own rodents and heating cost substantially lower by heat chords. This stuff is really not rocket science engineering here... although many of the 'top' breeders will beg too differ. I have friends who are not on here at APS and are around my age making plenty of money and that is just on the side of their full time work.

I think everyone has gotten me confused with someone wishing to open up a large scale operation :p

I just want a handful of pythons that pay for themselves

I think it will be more profitable to breed reptiles if you live at home supported by parents rather than if you have to pay your own rent electricity and water. My kids used to make money breeding cows but then again they didn't have to pay for the million dollar property, fences or council rates.

Quite simply half the time you are dealing with completely unreasonable people! So yeah, let's talk business and who your general customers will consist of!

Last edited by a moderator:
the initial outlay will be quite a chunk to get you some enclosures, incubator and a few pairs of good quality snakes.
It will be quite a long time before the little critters are powering on and ready to go to new homes.

of course young kids with no experience know all about money, and how to make money... The difference being a few 100 dollars here or there isn't really much money, especially when it comes to the reptile business...

If you say it is not extremely profitable then you are going about it wrong... No offence just saying and don't come up with food costs, electricity bills and substrates or what not because lets face it many of the top breeders breed their own rodents, use heats chords / mats and paper substrate and the cost all up for that is equal to just one clutch from one pair of many breeders. The only expense is initial cost such as tubs, racks and the animals themselves.

Ever paid the electricity bill after running an air con and chest freezer flat out all Summer? In a perfect, over simplified world what you say makes sense. Putting more than 3 seconds into thinking about the real costs (and potential costs) will show you its not all that straight forward.

One of the reasons I love this hobby is because so many people just love to "talk the talk".If it is so easy and cheap and if the rewards are so awesomely great then why are there not more people "walking the walk"?

I rather suspected that those I see driving BMWs, Porsches and other expensive cars are probably breeding reptiles at home, and from the smell of the northern Sydney suburbs in which they live, I'd say their garages and sheds are chock-full of rats, and because rats live on air and only need to be fed every two weeks, they cost nothing to house or feed. Heat CORDS (note the spelling!) - I've been using them exclusively for 10+ years, and my energy bills are still $1000+ every quarter - that's $4000 pa ($80 pw) just for power, add to that rat food at $18/bag and the cost of enclosures. And none of this factors in the huge amount of time needed to manage all the livestock - if you are in business, that's not something you can overlook.

Still, as you say, it's not rocket science, and I must have got it wrong all these years... likewise my very experienced friends lol!

Jamie

And another one bites the dust.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here's mine: Numerous participants of this thread have many years of demonstrated experience in all areas of this hobby. To publicly insinuate that some of these members (or any members for that matter) lack common sense simply because you disagree with their opinion is downright disrespectful not to mention shameful and will NOT be tolerated.

I reiterate: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but keep it within the Site Rules please, or take it up via PM.

General Site Rule 2. Be tolerant of all other users. Remember, we have members of all ages and levels of experience and enthusiasm, of different nationalities, religions and cultures. Rude or racist remarks and hurtfully sarcastic comments will be deleted and you will be penalised. Bear in mind that a sarcastic comment that an adult would laugh at may be hurtful to a young member.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's try this again. Keep it friendly please, and let this be a reminder that the Site Rules are there for a reason. Any violation of the rules will be actioned accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back