Tiger snake fangs - Myth or fact

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickerbox

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am new around here and very much appreciate the vast knowledge and experience found here from you all. I have a question for you guys... (and given that I couldn't find it listed in the other forum posts about snake myths, I'd like to hit you guys up for an expert answer)

A friend of mine is convinced that Tiger snakes have 'ancient or grooved' fangs that are not like hypodermic needles. My understanding is that all Elapid snakes have hollow fangs that work exactly like a hypodermic needle. I know that some of you guys milk the venom out of them, so which is correct?

Cheers.

Taken from this site:

Among Australian snakes, hollow fangs occur in all of our terrestrial venomous species and in the sea snakes, represented in the scanning electron micrographs shown here by the Red Bellied Black Snake. Grooved fangs occur only in the Brown Tree Snake Boiga irregularis and in a group of freshwater snakes in northern Australia.

Hi all. I am new around here and very much appreciate the vast knowledge and experience found here from you all. I have a question for you guys... (and given that I couldn't find it listed in the other forum posts about snake myths, I'd like to hit you guys up for an expert answer)

A friend of mine is convinced that Tiger snakes have 'ancient or grooved' fangs that are not like hypodermic needles. My understanding is that all Elapid snakes have hollow fangs that work exactly like a hypodermic needle. I know that some of you guys milk the venom out of them, so which is correct?

Cheers.

Here is an earlier thread for you to look at, it has a few more answers.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/grooved-fang-myth-180571/

Basically the accepted theory is that the fangs evolved as a longer grooved tooth, and eventually closed all the way round to form a hypodermic tube. There is a groove on some (possibly most I'm not sure) elapids fangs at the rear of the tooth, however it is an enamel sealed seam and not functional for venom delivery

copperheads have grooved fangs, tiger snakes have hollow tubular fangs.

Thanks so much for the info and links. Much appreciated. I had no idea that Copperheads had grooved fangs. I understood that they had the same injection set up as other Elapids. ? You sure about that Tassie?

Hi Zanks,

Thank you very much for this link. Very informative and concise.
Given this and Jedi's previous info, the answer to my question now seems pretty clear to me = Elapids have evolved venom injection delivery systems, via adapted hollow fixed tubular teeth at the front of their mouths.

I really appreciate all of your input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back