Insect identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this cicada moulting on my back door last night. I have made a provisional identification, but some confirmation from the insect enthusiasts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ren

DSC_0006.jpg DSC_0013.jpg DSC_0014.jpg

Do you hav the book from the Qld museum? The Wildlife of FNQ book? The one with the frog on the front cover (black book)?

We used to get those (I assume same cicadas) at our place in smitfield - I may have even taken similar shots - would have been this time of year as well - very cool!

That looks like green grocer cicada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were the clearest photos I could get, unfortunately. There is one more:

DSC_0008.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Do you hav the book from the Qld museum? The Wildlife of FNQ book? The one with the frog on the front cover (black book)?

Thanks, I haven't got that one. I will have to get a copy.

- - - Updated - - -

This cicada was found well outside the range of the greengrocer cicada. The northern greengrocer looks nothing like it.

The best identification I can make using the Internet is the green whizzer (Macrostristria intersecta). The other possibility is the clanger cicada (Psaltoda claripennis). I don't have a proper field guide for insects so can't confirm. Maybe I'll check with one of the entomologists at the uni. :)

Last edited:
I have never seen or even heard of a green whizzer so I can't help you there ,I will google it and get back to you,:D

I was close. I have an ID from a cicada expert: it's a Macrotristria sylvara, the Northern Cherrynose, common around Cairns in January and February. Cicadas get all the cool names.

I was close. I have an ID from a cicada expert: it's a Macrotristria sylvara, the Northern Cherrynose, common around Cairns in January and February. Cicadas get all the cool names.

its a Female green grocer female because it lacks the drums the things that make the cicada noise, i used to catch heaps of different cicadas :)
cherry nose cicadas arent green
images
images

Last edited:
But the Greengrocer cicada's range doesn't extend to Cairns. The Northern Greengrocer is too green.

i see my bad
i have never seen or caught a green cherrynose

Last edited:
Nilesh,
I cannot blame you for making that mistake.

What made me cautious was that all the Green Grocers that I caught as a kid were green all over. This cicada is more bluish green and patterned with brown areas, especially the abdomen. In other respects it looks exactly like your typical Green Grocer. I located a pic on Google that shows the red nose.

What I do remember is that each summer you would some cicadas but every several years there would be so many it was deafening. I got into strife more tan once for having the odd double drummer and male Green Grocer and Yellow Mondays in an aquarium in my room. Actually, the Black Princes for their small size were pretty damned noisy too.

I have just remembered I used hold the drums so they could make any noise and hey give them to one of my four sisters to hold. Of course they soon burst into song and scare the crap whoever was holding it at the time. I got blamed for way more than my share so that was just a little payback.

Amazing insects!

Blue

Nilesh,
I cannot blame you for making that mistake.

What made me cautious was that all the Green Grocers that I caught as a kid were green all over. This cicada is more bluish green and patterned with brown areas, especially the abdomen. In other respects it looks exactly like your typical Green Grocer. I located a pic on Google that shows the red nose.

What I do remember is that each summer you would some cicadas but every several years there would be so many it was deafening. I got into strife more tan once for having the odd double drummer and male Green Grocer and Yellow Mondays in an aquarium in my room. Actually, the Black Princes for their small size were pretty damned noisy too.

I have just remembered I used hold the drums so they could make any noise and hey give them to one of my four sisters to hold. Of course they soon burst into song and scare the crap whoever was holding it at the time. I got blamed for way more than my share so that was just a little payback.

Amazing insects!

Blue

thanks for That :)
ha ha theyre everywhere around here sooo loud
they sure are amazing my utmost favourite is the blue moon i think it was called and black prince but they were soo hard to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back