show us your exotic birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find on the dose licence lit of species. Does that mean they don't require a licence because they are exotic?
Final question, what kind of price would I be expecting to pay for the above?
Cheers guys. The help's much appreciated. As are the pics;)

If you mean the DSE then there are many parrots that you do not need a license to keep. Things like king parrots and some cockatoos require a basic license.
Prices vary from species to species. Quakers and Conures mostly cost above $100, especially hand raised ones. Other Australian parrots can be anywhere from $20-$2000 depending on species, if it was hand raised and colours.

Indian Ring Necks, I have seen for as cheap as $100 hand raised and Quakers are a little more. Depends on location and quality really. Like pythons for example :p

Personally unless you have the time I wouldn't bother. Birds do require more time and love than reptiles. We have owned cockies and pair of Eclectus Parrots....as beautiful and elegant as they were they are not suited unless you do spend time with them every single day. A loving affectionate quiet bird is a cockie, can't go wrong with them.

Each to their own tho :)

Good luck

Attachments

• 318489_10150307497624523_510999522_7641192_1942377945_n.jpg
    318489_10150307497624523_510999522_7641192_1942377945_n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 89
  • 297406_10150355045679523_510999522_7896544_1571677080_n.jpg
    297406_10150355045679523_510999522_7896544_1571677080_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 86
I don't know about quakers, but imo an Indian Ring Neck needs just as much attention as a lorikeet. You're better off going with a small low maintenance bird or none at all with your current lifestyle.

My indian ring necks are low maintainence fresh veggies and fruit 4 days a week i have it all cut up and have it in the fridge just grab a handful in the morning fir them with some pellets and water daily
Easy to teach to talk and have a wide range vocabulary
prices can range from 150 to 1000 easy i got mine cheaper as it was still a baby and i got to finish the hand raising which was a great experiance
Cathy

Hope you can find him soon! Hopefully he will fly home? Best of luck and I hope he comes home for you :)

Cockateils make great pets, their so affectionate, i wouldnt really call them noisy, doesnt need as much time as a lorikeet, easy to feed, can be left without any problems. I admit i dont really like the standard colouring but there are plenty of variety of different colour/patterns available. Im more fond of the yellow ones or the pied ones :)
Mine always craved a head scratch and if i didnt give him one he would come up to my hand, bend his head and stay there until i gave in lol

Albino93, mine is the same! Lovely, little sweet birds. Would definitely recommend them to anyone who isn't spare a lot of time or doesn't want the maintenance of a larger bird (loris, ring necks and up).

Ok all you parrot lovers I don't want to hijack this thread so I would appreciate it if you could PM me your ideas for bird toys for the chewers. I want to start a thread (not sure if it fits here in 'other animals' or in the DIY Section)
Do you make your own chew toys - if so what timber do you use, what ideas do you have for foraging toys etc etc
I think there are enough of use that have parrots but don't like the expensive shop bought chew toys

Keep the birds coming - I'm loving seeing that not all herpers are against the warm and fuzzies :)?

I buy the majority of my toys, mostly online from the US, but cannot post the links....

As for the DIY - Untreated pine from Bunnings cut up and threaded on kabobs/chain/leather/etc works wonders for Elmo.

+1 Stevo2

Toys can be easily made using the techniques above and are alot cheaper then buying from the parrot shops. I would rather DIY but for now im just gonna buy my toys. :)

I'll definitely go have a look at the different species available. Maybe something like a Quaker or Indian ring neck might be better?
Also, both the species I mentioned I can't find on the dose licence lit of species. Does that mean they don't require a licence because they are exotic?
Final question, what kind of price would I be expecting to pay for the above?
Cheers guys. The help's much appreciated. As are the pics;)
quakers are gorgeous but i still prefer my cockateil(sunny) to my quaker(emerald)they both love a good scratch and cuddle and love to wander around the house. i even take them to bed with me! my little babys...

you can get hand raised quakers for anywhere between $250-$500 depending on the colour, i got my boy for $100 and tamed him up within an hour! defenitly the easiest to tame of all my birds

they have ALOT of personality, and love to mimic things and are said to be easy to teach to talk, though they are abit noisy sometimes making sounds like a duck and head bobing, and are escape artists!(or mine is anyway)
but altogether they're worth it
View attachment 277071

im not to sure about ringnecks, cause i've only ever "birdie sat" my friends one, which i do quiet often.
they are loud and abit bossy when they don't get what they want, quiet nippy(he bit my budgies toe off) and also require more space and can be fussy when it comes to eating.

anyway altogether id go a quaker for they're cute little playful personality
i'll send u some more pics

and no u dont need a licence to keep non native birds. u only need them for the more difficult and rarer birds

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 277104

Last edited:
Cockateils make great pets, their so affectionate, i wouldnt really call them noisy, doesnt need as much time as a lorikeet, easy to feed, can be left without any problems. I admit i dont really like the standard colouring but there are plenty of variety of different colour/patterns available. Im more fond of the yellow ones or the pied ones :)
Mine always craved a head scratch and if i didnt give him one he would come up to my hand, bend his head and stay there until i gave in lol
mine was yellow:cry:

mine was yellow:cry:

Poor thing, my advice would be to search the surrounding trees in the area, check ur backyard (anywhere where a bird would/could go). Ive had a similar situation happen with one of my lorikeets, he/she (didnt know gender) managed to fly out the back door when it got opened, it was gone for a good couple of days then one morning we walked across the road and happened to spot it in a small tree, we picked it up and took him/her home, was very lucky.
Good luck, i hope u can find ur cockateil.

Absolute stunner Cathy, i am jealous

cathy1986;2298102 said:
My violet irn
a3ehasam.jpg

Cathy

I have 3 eclectus parrots (2 f, 1 m), a major mitchell, a quaker, a jenday conure, a cinnamon green cheek conure, a princess parrot, a lutino ringneck, 2 lorikeets.....and 5 budgies. All besides the budgies are handraised (mostly by myself) and are all my babies. Love each and everyone of them....all different and all fantastic pets :)

Poor thing, my advice would be to search the surrounding trees in the area, check ur backyard (anywhere where a bird would/could go). Ive had a similar situation happen with one of my lorikeets, he/she (didnt know gender) managed to fly out the back door when it got opened, it was gone for a good couple of days then one morning we walked across the road and happened to spot it in a small tree, we picked it up and took him/her home, was very lucky.
Good luck, i hope u can find ur cockateil.
ill PM you with what i have done so far as i dont want to hijack this thread anymore

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back