Self Injecting of Snake venom.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I'm not sure what to think really, except it is a very dangerous practice, and I was cringing watching him trying to get the snakes to bite down while he was shaking so badly. :shock: Is the shaking from the venom he injects?

As for looking youthful, it's all in the genes, isnt it? Loads of people look way younger than their age.

What was he hoping to achieve? Did I miss that bit, or was it skating like a snake, and boxing better?

I think the intended "All said in jest" was to imply I wasn't being literal in my comment. Just clarifying that... I am sure he has some place in our big wide world, just as all the other people on this planet have their place. He's not injecting children or holding up banks - he's boxing poorly and skating through traffic, let him be.

I did see that, TheJoyces. I wasn't having a go. I DO think we as a society look after some people too much though :lol:

First of all..the guy is a plain and simple idiot, that's evident.

What he does is not science is one bit, he has no controlled measures. He is mixing 4 different venoms together, like a cocktail. Pseudoscience for sure.

No scientific institution is going to research him, what on Earth would they learn about someone injecting 4 different types of complex proteins? Absolutely nothing.

Further to that, scientists have been working with venom proteins for a long time and understand their uses. Hence why many people are taking venom derived medicines, and have been for many years. They aren't going to learn anything from him, when they carry out their own tests with carefully isloated proteins. Why do you think no one wants to 'research' him?

Everything he is 'trying' to prove is redundant. And makes some stupid statements in the process.

To even compare himself to Bill Haast is a joke! Bill was saving lives, and it was an occupational hazard.

For Steve he's doing neither. He is either doing it because he cannot handle venomous snakes properly, or he enjoys the rush, or he likes the attention.

It's most definitely because he enjoys the rush (it's evident), not too dissimilar to a heroin addict and he loves the attention.

There is absolutely no use for him to make what he does public - attention seeker. It makes all us venomous keepers look like idiots to the general public too.

To even compare himself to Bill Haast is a joke! Bill was saving lives, and it was an occupational hazard.

I guess that was directed at my comment.Why can't they be compared in that they both injected venom? A lot of people on here would have never of heard of Bill Haast and since it is a topic concerning the injection of snake venom I think it was relevant mentioning him so people can check it out for themselves if they wish.

I guess that was directed at my comment.Why can't they be compared in that they both injected venom? A lot of people on here would have never of heard of Bill Haast and since it is a topic concerning the injection of snake venom I think it was relevant mentioning him so people can check it out for themselves if they wish.

No, it wasn't directed at you mate, I didn't read everyone's posts.

Because like I said the only reason Bill Haast did it was because it was an occupational hazard. He was milking venomous snakes daily, to SAVE lives. Steve is just doing for his own machoism.

Bill was also doing it on a far larger scale and working with more diverse venomous snakes than anyone that done it before him. It was to cover his back in case of an accident.

I was the only person that mentioned him in this thread :?

Lol, like I said I didn't read everyone's posts and didn't read yours. I was commenting with regards to Steve in the video comparing himself to Haast.

Lol, like I said I didn't read everyone's posts and didn't read yours. I was commenting with regards to Steve in the video comparing himself to Haast.

Ah I see now.I didn't watch the video as it would be time in my life that I could never get back!

Interesting video, I don't know why but I like him. There doesn't seem to be any egotism about him, He is just doing it because he wants to. I don't see him doing it for any other scienctific reason than "oh well let's see what happens for the next 20 years while I smash this in my leg". I personally see it has become an addiction now to him though and it will be interesting to see if he can stop doing it or not.

It's hard for him to prove the venom actually improves his performance though as it will more than likely be adrenalin that is causing his increased performance, not the venom.

Like has already been said all pioneers were viewed as crazy by their peers at the time.

Where else can you get a person willing to inject venom? He should be used for research. it would give him a purpose too.

In every other field, risk takers are sponsored.This is no different. Just because he doesn't have a clue doesn't make him worthless. Think of him as raw material, if he had medical help where knowledge could be furthered he is the perfect lab rat. Don't you see, he wants to study the effects of venom, it's his calling, he will die for it. He should be picked up, straightened out, given a purpose, and ultimately, knowledge will be gained.

To shoot him down and fear that he gives hot keepers a bad name, is just that, personal fear.

Where else can you get a person willing to inject venom? He should be used for research. it would give him a purpose too.

In every other field, risk takers are sponsored.This is no different. Just because he doesn't have a clue doesn't make him worthless. Think of him as raw material, if he had medical help where knowledge could be furthered he is the perfect lab rat. Don't you see, he wants to study the effects of venom, it's his calling, he will die for it. He should be picked up, straightened out, given a purpose, and ultimately, knowledge will be gained.

To shoot him down and fear that he gives hot keepers a bad name, is just that, personal fear.

You don't understand, there is nothing new they would learn from him that they can't do themselves.

How do you think they came up with drugs for diabetes from venom? From injecting people with venom? No.

Scientists are smarter than this tool, and do not need a lab rat like him otherwise it would've been done a long time ago.

Mice are more than adequate lab rats to test ISOLATED parts of the venom on, evidently so as we have medicines made this way.

Don't you see venom has and will continued to be studied the proper way.

You think Steve would want to be injected with isolated parts of venom? No. As it wouldn't give him that buzz that he craves, as it may well be the part that doesn't give any pain etc.

I bet you would find he wouldn't do it, too many rules and too many people telling him what he can and can't do.

You don't understand, there is nothing new they would learn from him that they can't do themselves.

How do you think they came up with drugs for diabetes from venom? From injecting people with venom? No.

Scientists are smarter than this tool, and do not need a lab rat like him otherwise it would've been done a long time ago.

Mice are more than adequate lab rats to test ISOLATED parts of the venom on, evidently so as we have medicines made this way.

Don't you see venom has and will continued to be studied the proper way.

You think Steve would want to be injected with isolated parts of venom? No. As it wouldn't give him that buzz that he craves, as it may well be the part that doesn't give any pain etc.

Yeah, fair enough. I agree he is a loose cannon. But anyone who has taken some sort of risk in their life is only hypocrite to say what he is doing is stupid or idiotic. He's only harming himself.

Wouldn't antivenom, derived from human plasma antibodies, be more effective and less risk to humans, then draught horse derived antivenom?

Yeah, fair enough. I agree he is a loose cannon. But anyone who has taken some sort of risk in their life is only hypocrite to say what he is doing is stupid or idiotic. He's only harming himself.

Wouldn't antivenom, derived from human plasma antibodies, be more effective and less risk to humans, then draught horse derived antivenom?

It's the fact he tries to justify what he is doing by saying it's for science etc, when it's not in the slightest. He will die before anyone bothers to conduct any meaningful 'experiments' on him.

Of course he is allowed to do whatever he likes, but my point is he doesn't need to record these types of things and put it over the internet. There is only one reason he would do that - to get attention. He could quite happily go about his business and self envenomate and keep it to himself and his friends.

Yes it would, but one it would be very, very, very expensive to produce, and wouldn't be much profit to be made for pharma companies so they wouldn't be interested in manufacturing it.

Antivenom that is made now is pretty effective as it is, as any side effects are managed well. Aussie antivenoms being one of the best out there.

Its not such an uncommon practice... there are lots of people who do this all over...
Id like to see him do this with Oxyuranus venom tho. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back