Substrate from bunnings ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebs92

Reaction score
springfield lakes ,ipswich ,qld ,australia
Just wonder if there are any good substrate/flooring you can from bunnings or anywhere that doesn't sell as high priced as a pet shop haha? Im setting up a jungle theme for my bredli's new enclosure and desert for the beardy :)
Im wanting sand for the beardy and bark type, something that look natural like a rainforest type

Washed sand for beardie and just some coir peat I believe it is called ( the one with no fertilizer or chemicals and stuff in it ), Comes in blocks which you place in water and expands, then you dry it out and looks identical to kitters Crumble and 10 x cheaper.

Why are you setting up a bredli with a jungle/rainforest theme when they are from a desert area?

Why are you setting up a bredli with a jungle/rainforest theme when they are from a desert area?

Duh Ramsayi, Pythons only live in Jungles!

As stated the washed play sand is great, I use it for most of my lizards, I also use the fertilizer free coco peat blocks.

I disagree with using sand of any type for a captive beardie. They swallow it aloong with their food and it can cause a lot of problems. Not to mention mess. You could however create the look of sand with a similar coloured lino, or a kind of "sand art" thing where you use a course sand and cement mixture on the surface of something cut to size, like wood or ply or whatever, then paint it and seal it with pondtite. Just like you do with making a fake rock background.

I disagree with using sand of any type for a captive beardie. They swallow it aloong with their food and it can cause a lot of problems. Not to mention mess. You could however create the look of sand with a similar coloured lino, or a kind of "sand art" thing where you use a course sand and cement mixture on the surface of something cut to size, like wood or ply or whatever, then paint it and seal it with pondtite. Just like you do with making a fake rock background.
A bearded dragon is more likely to die due to the chemicals on your hand then from impaction...

Play sand and eucalyptus mulch.

- - - Updated - - -

There is also cypress mulch.

Deodorant, air freshers, general cleaning purpose sprayers. Still linger in the air quite a while after sprayed/used and can/do stick to your body (hands). More to the point housing a beardie on sand is not dangerous anymore so then the above mentioned in likeliness. And sorry I meant coco peat OP ;)

You can also get large compressed blocks of coconut husk mulch, it is very cheap and looks great although I would recommend washing or shaking the dust of it before use.

I bought something like 5kgs of washed play sand, maybe a bit more, for $6....Instead of $30.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree with using sand of any type for a captive beardie. They swallow it aloong with their food and it can cause a lot of problems. Not to mention mess.

Why would a captive Beardie swallow sand but not a wild one?

Sugarcane mulch is good for some species too, though it can be very dusty.

Just be sure that whatever you use is "organic" or "chemical free" as you wouldn't want something happening to your reptile over the sake of saving a few $$$$$.....

I bought something like 5kgs of washed play sand, maybe a bit more, for $6....Instead of $30.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would a captive Beardie swallow sand but not a wild one?

I dunno. I just seen them die from it (a friends) so I don't use it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back