Infrared spot globe blown.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have any of these stores locally :/ I live in a country town. Closest one would be about 1 half to two hours away. That makes things difficult.

I got some CHEs posted from Asia (bought brand new on ebay).

I'm sure you'll find a dealer who will post IRs nationalyy. ;)

P.S - I cannot post names of shops in here, who sell on-line (due to APS rules)
But pm me and tomorrow I'll reply with a few names.
ie, Exo Terra $12, plus delivery.

Hope this helps. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There would be plenty out there but with the postage cost I may be better off buying localy . I'm also trying to figure out if it's cheaper to run an IR bulb or CHE. If they're the same watt it shouldn't make a difference ?

There would be plenty out there but with the postage cost I may be better off buying localy . I'm also trying to figure out if it's cheaper to run an IR bulb or CHE. If they're the same watt it shouldn't make a difference ?
I have been wondering the answer to this also, I have just change one enclosure to ceramic as the normal heat lamp was only lasting 20-25 days, this was maybe due to the constant on off of the thermostat or it was plugged into a power board the fridge was plugged into, either way now with the ceramic it is working well, if the bulbs were blowing due to the thermostat, would changing to a digital thermostat help solve the problem?

I don't have any of these stores locally :/ I live in a country town. Closest one would be about 1 half to two hours away. That makes things difficult.
Check the sponsors on the right of the homepage. Most will post if needed

I purchased a infrared spot basking globe from a pet shop about a week ago and I came home today to find it has blown already just after a week. How long are these things supposed to last? As I know it's not a week.

Have u got a receipt?? At least take it back and tell them what happened. Oh and when u put it in did u actually handle it or did u use a cloth or towel when putting it in???

There was a post on APS not a while ago explaining that... I can't remember well, but something along the lines of; CHEs actually have heating elements inside... And to produce (more) heat, they consume more energy...

- or something, sorry I can't remember what it said, or where it was posted.

Someone should have made a sticky!;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...if the bulbs were blowing due to the thermostat, would changing to a digital thermostat help solve the problem?

No, it should not make a difference at all. - It still flicks off/on.

The best are dimming thermostat.
(is that what you mean?)

I also remember handling my bulbs with bare (sweaty) hands, try use a cloth to hold the bulb out of box and straight into cage fitting.

Hope this helps?;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a couple of points that I would like to make regarding the difference between the ceramics and the IR.
Firstly, consider what type of animal you are keeping. I'll explain why later.
Ceramics get too hot. It is a very drying heat because the air in close contact with the bulb is dead dry. This creates air flow through the air with moisture in the enclosure being drawn into replace the dry air. Which in turn dries out, drawing more air. Ultimately, you can lower the humidity in there, which if your keeping greens or darwins for eg isn't what you want.
The ZM IR's are very reliable with a very good average life span. I have had some go for years. 3 mths is the shortest I've had so they average out. They give a much more "gentle' heat, and don't dry things out. Much better for snakes that shed etc.
PS Diamonds don't need infra red any more then any other snake. Ceramics probably give off infra red anyway.
You can run infra red globes 24/7 if you want. And use it to veiw at night.
I would only ever use ceramics on desert species, but then I don't like them so I wouldn't.

So I would have to say I think I'll go with IR. also would someone be able to pm a cheap reliable website to buy the IRs. Cheers everyone,the advice has been a huge help.

I use ceramic heat globes. cheap off eBay and last a long time :D I've had mine for around a year and are still heating fine and dandy ;)

Theres a couple of points that I would like to make regarding the difference between the ceramics and the IR.
Firstly, consider what type of animal you are keeping. I'll explain why later.
Ceramics get too hot. It is a very drying heat because the air in close contact with the bulb is dead dry. This creates air flow through the air with moisture in the enclosure being drawn into replace the dry air. Which in turn dries out, drawing more air. Ultimately, you can lower the humidity in there, which if your keeping greens or darwins for eg isn't what you want.
The ZM IR's are very reliable with a very good average life span. I have had some go for years. 3 mths is the shortest I've had so they average out. They give a much more "gentle' heat, and don't dry things out. Much better for snakes that shed etc.
PS Diamonds don't need infra red any more then any other snake. Ceramics probably give off infra red anyway.
You can run infra red globes 24/7 if you want. And use it to veiw at night.
I would only ever use ceramics on desert species, but then I don't like them so I wouldn't.

My point exactly. - I couldn't put it better.

I did try CHEs with my Woma and didn't like it for the reasons above.

I now use IRs 24/7. (well, not right now as it's stinky hot up here)

My lighting / heating set-up.

Rob,

Here is a pic of my set-up. As you see in his cave underneath tiles is a heat mat, same as what he had in his tub, plus during some days I have the option to run the 75w spot lamp as well. However he tends to stay on his heat mat for heating.

The light option is more to provide ambient heat as opposed to a designated hot spot.

IMG_20130129_205604.jpg

I don't know if a heat mat would be suited as the basking spot will be about three quarter way up in a 1.2m high enclosure and I would like a heat gradient and a gradual heat drop as she gets lower. Although a heat mat is certainly an option for a secondary hear source later on. Nice set up by the way!

Sorry to ask something perhaps a bit personal but how much does the CHE up the bill?

I was running 2 CHE's 24-7 and my bill went up $100 each bill that came in. They were young snakes hence the constant heat. But this year i have been turning them off at night to hopefully bring the costs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back