Taming wild snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armo6

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently just got my RWL and havent had much to do with snakes. I was looking for one on the internet because i havnt had much luck finding anything locally. But yesterday i came across a baby childrens python crawling across the work shop flaw. Hes about 25cm and maybe as thick as my pinkie finger. I know its a lot different taming and looking after a wild snake compared to a captive bred one but I have already fallin for him/her haha (being wild it hasnt let me get to close to check yet). Ive done a lot of research and gathered that its gonna need a little time to settle before i should start trying to handle it too much and im not exactly sure when it would have eatin last so im going to attempt to feed it today, then try in a couple of days to give it a little time out of the box. I understand that he is probably going to bite me because he has already tried to a lot (I would try too if i was scooped up and locked away) but i really dont want to stress or make him feel threatened while trying to get him used to handling.

If anyone could give me any small pointers i would appreciate it greatly

Probably best not to get involved with it would be my recommendation. It won't benefit the snake and there's the legality side of it (eg messing with native animals, which I'm sure most of us from time to time are guilty of). It's probably best the snake fears people if its to remain in one piece.

Mate let it go to the closest bush we're you found it and your not allowed to keep them if caught from the wild.

It is illegal to capture wild snakes in Queensland. You need a license from the government here to own snakes, then you need to purchase a snake from a licensed breeder or pet store (I would not recommend a pet store, but you can).

I've got some legally wild caught animals. They handle fine like captive bred. Infact the one in my avitar is wild caught.

I've got some legally wild caught animals. They handle fine like captive bred. Infact the one in my avitar is wild caught.

This OP is in Queensland. You cannot obtain wild caught animals here unless they were freighted in from another state. He definitely cannot find a snake and take it home.

Your location states cairns, if thats where you found the python its a spotted not a childrens

Unless you have a permit it is illegal to keep wildlife. You are better off doing some more research, such as reading your license conditions, and buying a captive bred or a legally caught wild snake.

This OP is in Queensland. You cannot obtain wild caught animals here unless they were freighted in from another state. He definitely cannot find a snake and take it home.

Didnt say he could. I'm simply talking about the behaviour of wild caught animals. What people do is no business of mine. I'm not a busy body...

Most of the injured snakes i get off the roads are more placid then most of the captive bred snakes i have...

Taming wild snakes !!! Ive caught and relocated wild pythons that were calm compared to some of the beasts ive got here...Considering you dont no much about snakes its not a good idea catching ANY snakes unless your 100% certain,even then its illegal !! Ive been trying in the last few years to tame some of mine..however they dont listen to me..I may even stop feeding them until they do listen to me...

I have my licence.. The snake was in my workshop. I wasnt aware that my license stated i couldn't keep it.. not that i can find anywhere in Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 that i cant.

If anyone can find and direct me to that part and section of it would be great.

Even thou you may have ur licence you CANT KEEP ANY WILD REPTILES...Otherwise it would be a rarity to see one in the wild...IMO..YOU shouldve done alot more research in what you can-cant do...Theres a search button on top right of page with ALOT of information...You can find out anything regarding what temperature to keep a snake-how often to feed-shedding/sloughing-its ONLY a finger tip away...Hope your going to let the snake go back where you found it..

I have my licence.. The snake was in my workshop. I wasnt aware that my license stated i couldn't keep it.. not that i can find anywhere in Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006 that i cant.

[h=3]I found a snake in my back yard, can I keep it?[/h]No. Under no circumstances can you keep a snake that you have found in the wild. All wildlife in Queensland is protected under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. It is an offence to keep wild animals, and fines and penalties may apply. If you want to keep a snake as a pet, you can legally acquire an animal that has been bred in captivity from an authorised reptile dealer. You will also need to obtain a wildlife licence from QPWS to keep the snake. Even if you have a wildlife permit, it cannot be used to take additional snakes from the wild.

Frequently asked questions about snakes (Department of Environment and Heritage Protection)

its a pretty widely know fact among people in the hobby , if you dont believe us and cant find "proof" yourself then maybe ring the licence department and ask them but be sure to let them know you already caught and kept one , theyd love to come see you and help you out with everything there great help trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back