Warning graphic picture! Look what we found dead on the side of the road.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersimon

Reaction score
This morning driving along Heathcote Rd in southern Sydney we noticed this guy dead on the side of the road. What struck us was how big it was.

qa9umady.jpg

Thats a big boa. Makes you wonder how many exotics are out there in the wild!

I often wonder that aswell, and how they get here and out again.. in a recent episode of snakebytes bryan shows a albino darwin carpet and says that they only just got them 2 years ago there... does this mean they were smuggled out? or would they have just popped out of a clutch..

I often wonder that aswell, and how they get here and out again.. in a recent episode of snakebytes bryan shows a albino darwin carpet and says that they only just got them 2 years ago there... does this mean they were smuggled out? or would they have just popped out of a clutch..

Of course they popped out of a clutch!

exotics are escaping and being released, so this does not shock me at all. we will see more and more in the next few years.

Maybe they have a smugglers convention at the airport Hilton. Ill swap you this jag for your albino? Lol

Thanks simon I found that quite interesting & slightly disturbing. (Less the gore more the reality of released exotics)

Last edited:
There is a popular herping spot NW of Brisbane where several people have reported seeing corns.....solar 17

It's common knowledge that exotics are out there, and in huge numbers too. Nothing can be done about it, an escaped boa in Sydney is just as bad as an escaped woma in Sydney.

is it mostly exotic pythons out there i have never known of anyone to have exotics although i know they are out there, or is one day a snake catcher gunna get a call out and be faced with a cobra or gaboon viper??

It's common knowledge that exotics are out there, and in huge numbers too. Nothing can be done about it, an escaped boa in Sydney is just as bad as an escaped woma in Sydney.
really? for some reason i just dont see a woma being as bad as a boa , womas only grow so big , i dont see one causing as many problems as a boa could regardless of the native vs non native thing

really? for some reason i just dont see a woma being as bad as a boa , womas only grow so big , i dont see one causing as many problems as a boa could regardless of the native vs non native thing

For starters a woma is as exotic to Sydney as a boa is.. Tell me what damage this boa is going to cause that a woma wouldn't? They both eat large mammals, womas are capable of getting to almost the same size as that boa species, etc

If anything a woma would cause more damage as they will also eat other reptiles.

Last edited:
For starters a woma is as exotic to Sydney as a boa is.. Tell me what damage this boa is going to cause that a woma wouldn't? They both eat large mammals, womas are capable of getting to almost the same size as that boa species, etc
as i said , i was sort of excluding the exotic part as i knew what point you where making ( the womas are pretty much exotic to sydney part) but i thought boas where capable of getting a fair bit bigger than womas both in girth and length , just from everything ive read and the few ive seen ( although there captives in zoos and i know wild ones are a fair bit smaller and it depends on the types which i dont know anything about really ) so they would be capable of eating larger prey and more of it , that was just my thoughts , i wasnt looking for an argument or anything just questioning why you thought what you did

as i said , i was sort of excluding the exotic part as i knew what point you where making ( the womas are pretty much exotic to sydney part) but i thought boas where capable of getting a fair bit bigger than womas both in girth and length , just from everything ive read and the few ive seen ( although there captives in zoos and i know wild ones are a fair bit smaller and it depends on the types which i dont know anything about really ) so they would be capable of eating larger prey and more of it , that was just my thoughts , i wasnt looking for an argument or anything just questioning why you thought what you did

I'm not arguing with you, just offering a different opinion. It depends on the species of boas, but realistically they are going to prey on the same mammalian food items. Womas from certain localities are capable of reaching very large sizes (rivalling BHP's). All as I was really getting at anyway is that exotic pythons/boas would do no more harm then a snake from out of that bioregion.

The introduction of exotic disease is often brought up too. The majority of these exotic species are probably being bred here and have been for many generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back