anyone have any info on crossbows?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
doesn't seem to be any for sale in south Australia at the moment.

I was looking at some cheap ones on the flea market to get started, I might go and take a gander at a club before I pick one up though. so its best to start with a 26/30lb?

Last edited by a moderator:
doesn't seem to be any for sale in south Australia at the moment.

I was looking at some cheap ones on the flea market to get started, I might go and take a gander at a club before I pick one up though. so its best to start with a 26/30lb?

I would highly recommend visiting a club and do a course before buying any equipment, I've been shooting for 14 years and been on the national archery team for the past 4 years so I have a bit of an idea about this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend visiting a club and do a course before buying any equipment, I've been shooting for 14 years and been on the national archery team for the past 4 years so I have a bit of an idea about this stuff.

This is VERY good advice. I would recommend that you take it. There are so many factors with Archery. Do a course try lots of bows, work out your specs; draw weight, purpose, etc; then make a decision.

If you want a cross bow, reality is you might as well get a rifle. If you want to learn and perfect the art of Archery, start with a recurve, then either stay with it or move towards a compound. See what works for you. Work out what you want from Archery: target, field (3D), or hunting. Accurate recurve bow archery requires more skill than accurate compound bow archery.

Personally, I use a mid range compound (50-60 lb draw weight max). Anyone who tells you that you need more punch than that for the culling of feral animals encountered in Australia has no idea what they're talking about. I get clean pass throughs at 60 lbs. I am a professional hunter. All of my jobs relate to the culling of introduced feral animals from grazing and farming land (feral and wild dogs mostly at the moment) that destroy large numbers of sheep and cattle. Hunting using archery requires that you learn exceptional hunting call-ins and ambush predatory skills, not required with most firearm forms of hunting. Although firearm hunting is far more efficient. No comparison.

Time your time. Check it all out. ENJOY!

A lot of people don't realise that it's the weight of the arrow that gives more directional force thus more power. 50-60 is quite sufficient.

A lot of people don't realise that it's the weight of the arrow that gives more directional force thus more power. 50-60 is quite sufficient.

Very true Mason.

I find so often that people are fixated on draw weight and bow brands and specs. Truth is, whether it relates to target archery or hunting, success does not rely on getting a better/bigger/faster/lighter/newer bow; but being a better Indian.

Most Indigenous cultures from around the world have used bows for thousands of years, and highly successfully. Their bows have nowhere near the capacity of today's archery equipment. Fact is, they know how to use what they've got. And that's what it comes down to. It's a tactitions game, where a high amount of skill is required. And skill takes instruction and time.

Geoff.

You can also get them (crossbows in Vic) but they come under (strangely enough) the Prohibited weapons permit. I can't imagine with a title like that they'd be easy to get hold of. There are some awesome vids on modern crossbows and their accuracy on youtube. :D Damn bureaucrats take the fun outta everything!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back