snake holes??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be the Megascolides, a giant earthworm found in Aus.

We do have a marsupial mole in Australia but I don't imagine they would be found in that type of soil, would think they would be in more sandy environments, but it certainly is possible.

Not all moles found in Oz live in soil, some can be found after coming home from work on a hot day, relaxing on the lounge with the aircon on full bore finishing the the last of your ice cold Coopers! (joke Joyce).

I'd go moth/ beetle larvae ...it's pupated, hatched and flown the coop.

Its probably a little big for a bug of any sort. The hole is a good 7cm wide.

5 pages later, and the suspense is killing me!! I need an answer or I may just have a fit.....

When I say lay a hand, I mean grab it by the tail.

Your meaning was clear – I just having a joke (= why I only used that line).

Time for some serious deductive work…

• a wombat jealous of kangaroos, on a pogo stick;
  • the Ag Dept taking soil samples they forgot to mention;
  • a kangaroo with a broken leg that lost one crutch;
  • someone dropping billiard balls from a plane;
  • Telecom workers two houses away trying to thread a pipe with a kink in it;
  • Hubby trying out the new style sand pegs for the tent he hasn’t told you he bought.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all moles found in Oz live in soil, some can be found after coming home from work on a hot day, relaxing on the lounge with the aircon on full bore finishing the the last of your ice cold Coopers! (joke Joyce).

I've never heard of a mole relaxing on a lounge.Moll on the other hand.....................

I've never heard of a mole relaxing on a lounge.Moll on the other hand.....................
Not a lot of difference really. One effectively does it for money and the other for free. Either or fits the bill.

You forgot: shard from the meteorite over Russia.
Considered and disgarded. Anything from Russia, ASIO would have been all over like a rash. Besides, the TV crew from "Border Security" would have been there by now.

Blue

Blue although those are some pretty interesting scenario's i am afraid the only 1 that really fits the bill is the telecom worker coz remember this hole is from under the grass not on top.........................Ron

Very remiss of me not to fully explain. I should have mentioned the pogo stick and crutch had lost their rubber stoppers, exerting, like the sand peg, a hollow tine effect. Where the hollow metal insert is none too sharp, it would remove a plug of soil without cutting all the grass. The momentum of the billiard balls would provide a high degree of compaction and the balls, of course, would be residing below unless the compacted soil was elastic.

Blue

You always see the seagull at the beach with the missing foot. Maybe it was his peg leg that made the hole.

Nah 5 pages of intrigue and comedy, it has been a rollicking good read with nothing negative in the whole 5 pages......................Ron

The people before you took their clothesline with them!!

it has been a rollicking good read with nothing negative in the whole 5 pages......................Ron

Righto, now everyone can go and get stuffed!!!

Time for some serious deductive work…[/SIZE]

• a wombat jealous of kangaroos, on a pogo stick;
  • the Ag Dept taking soil samples they forgot to mention;
  • a kangaroo with a broken leg that lost one crutch;
  • someone dropping billiard balls from a plane;
  • Telecom workers two houses away trying to thread a pipe with a kink in it;
  • Hubby trying out the new style sand pegs for the tent he hasn’t told you he bought.

Blue

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha ahh Blue, you made me chuckle so much I thought I was going to go into labour Lmao! I'm liking the combat on a pogo stick theory I must say. ;)

But in all seriousness, I've been checking the hole daily and we've only had two periods of activity at the entrance. Both after a rain. I'm still thinking maybe a frog of some sort?

Does this shed light on any new theories? Lol

Ok... Scratch that... Upon closer inspection, I think the frog theory is out... I had a better look today and there seems two be a burrow system leading away from the second hole that has partially caved in from all the rain we got on Wednesday. And it has used that second hole as well this time as oppose to just the first main hole. This is getting frustrating Haha. That second hole looks like it might have been dug from the surface. And its not quite as big as the first one which looks as though it was dug from underneath. I may have to strap a night vision camera to a mouse and send it down there Hahaha.

It is sounding more and more like a native rodent, such as Mitchell's hopping mouse. They dig an initial shaft down at a angle and throw the dirt out the top. Then a horizontal series of shafts and cavities are created. Vertical shafts are then dug upwards from the various horizontal sections. The original angled shaft is then back-filled with soil. All that might indicate its presenceis a pile of dirt around the filled-in entrance.

Blue

PS. Glad you enjoyed the little injection of humour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back