Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy88

Reaction score
I've got plenty of lizards and I'm thinking about getting a python of some sort but I want it to be aborial because most of my lizards are ground dwellers can anyone suggest a good first aborial snake??

I think you will find its arboreal.
Any carpet would suit you fine.

My mac pretends to be arboreal... she climbs the rock wall all the time and spend a lot of time climbing and chilling out on the log in her enclosure.

Diamond Python. Mine really think they are gtp's at times

I have noticed my coastals and diamonds seem to climb a lot more then my other aboreal pythons, exept for my Roughies, they spend just about every second of the day on their sticks.

My woma tends to climb a fair bit even though she is a ground dwelling snake

Most morelia's would be fine, except Diamonds, i wouldn't recommend them for beginners. Also Jungles have a tendency to be snappy. Id go with a coastal, Md, darwin... all are nice snakes, not too expensive and are relatively easy to find. Depends what you like, how much you want to spend and whether you mind getting bitten.

That last one is rarely an option when it comes to hatchlings haha

Yeah man go a diamond, just do the proper research as to be sure to cater for their slightly different care needs and you'll be impressed..nice big green/gold/black mass's hanging out in your tree set ups .! And so friendly =)

If its a small python youre after hit up Kelvin_Worley on this forum for a Dajarra Carpet Python. Its basically all the good things of a Murray Darling (colour, temperament, good feeders) but half the size. The jungle python has a bad rep but they arent really that bad and most will calm down before theyre big enough to do any real damage.
If you dont care about size Md's and coastals are probably the cheapest option.

Bredli is a perfect starter, renown for their excellent temperament and as a great 'starter' python, and they just absolutely love to climb!
Can get on the larger side though(2.5 - 3 metres).

Most morelia's would be fine, except Diamonds, i wouldn't recommend them for beginners. Also Jungles have a tendency to be snappy. Id go with a coastal, Md, darwin... all are nice snakes, not too expensive and are relatively easy to find. Depends what you like, how much you want to spend and whether you mind getting bitten.

That last one is rarely an option when it comes to hatchlings haha

How can you say Diamonds aren't for beginners? They are easy, op wants something that will climb, they tick that box and the are v
Renowned for being great handlers.

How can you say Diamonds aren't for beginners? They are easy, op wants something that will climb, they tick that box and the are v
Renowned for being great handlers.

I would have to agree with Hamalicious about Diamonds, whilst its feasible for a beginner to keep them there husbandry requirements in my experience tend to be a lot more precise than other carpets. Then of course there is DPS which is an added consideration. Don't think you can ever go wrong with a carpet, they are just great snakes with tons of personality. If I had the space I could get even more into them than I am already.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

bhp on branc.jpgIm going out on a limb and say Blackheaded python..Why bother with carpets...On a serious note,ANY of the carpet sub-species would be fine..As already mentioned theres a few to choose from..It all comes down to what colour-size and price tag your willing to spend...

View attachment 284368Im going out on a limb and say Blackheaded python..Why bother with carpets...On a serious note,ANY of the carpet sub-species would be fine..As already mentioned theres a few to choose from..It all comes down to what colour-size and price tag your willing to spend...
I would love a black headed but I heard they get a bit fiesty also I though they where more terrestrial?

I would either recommend a coastal or jungle. I own a approx 3 year old coastal and she is a handful but that's just her personality , mind you she has great personality apart from her dislike to being touched and I hardly ever see her on the floor of her enclosure , she is usually up in her tree or ontop of her hide. I also own a Jungle of about the age of three months and I was lucky to get a VERY chilled jungle that only ever used to strike within the first couple weeks I started handling him but since has settled down and LOVES to come out of his enclosure and explore the lounge room. He handles like a champion! Only draw back is he refuses to show an interest in rats but in time and of his own accord he will take them. Good luck with your first python pick, they're amazing creatures with truly stunning colours with a personality to match !

I would love a black headed but I heard they get a bit fiesty also I though they where more terrestrial?

Every snake has its own personality...Blackheads and Womas are 95% bluff,tail wiggling-head butting-hissing is usually all talk...Ive got a pair of Jungles here that are nasty beasts..EVERYTIME they get a chance to tag me,they do...Ive got more holes in me then a pin cushion...Ive also had coastals that are nasty...Aspidities are terrestrial however they will-can climb...Theres alot of nice coastals around now,even better looking jungles..Browse the 4 sale section as there will be something you like...Dont forget some carpets can get big..9-10ft....

My mate has a BHP and it is the biggest sook of a puppy dog you could hope for, a real dream snake. As is his woma. His Roughies are always tucked away in the foliage and he says you only really see them if you are up and about after midnight when they get really active.

I know what you mean Endeavour about diamonds but after all the research I have done I don't think it will be a hard snake to keep. DPS is indicative of poor husbandry from what I can tell. You need to be aware of the temperature requirements and if you can confidently maintain their environment to an acceptable temperature varient then in every other regard they are as easy to keep as any other morelia. I may not recommend one to a complete noob but if you have some reasonable experience with reptiles in general, including keeping dragons, then they aren't such a bad option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back