What's a good way to tell if your female is ready for breeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuppz90

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What's a good way to tell if your female is ready for breeding I'm abit worried my girl maybe abit small at 2.2kg and about 5 n a half foot???

Usually it is around 4-5+ years of age. What are you breeding? Every snake species has different breeding age/weight requirements :)

depends on what snake but that size sounds about right depending on what species it is, i have heard of carpets breeding at 2 yrs old 1.2 kg's

People start from 2. I'd rather start from 3 at youngest. Especially for such a large species of snake it would most likely take longer than 2 yrs.
In saying that, it's more based on size. Not sure about coastals but 5.5ft for a coastal is still quite small. I'd give her another year or so but that's IMO. Best of luck

I usually say whenever she doesn't say NO!!!! Seriously thought the rule of thumb is 4 years and 4 kgs

You will get many different replys to this question , i have bred bhp at 2.5 years old with 9 fertile eggs that all hatched, but I'm not saying its smart/ great idea and you should do it

It doesnt go from age as much as it goes by weight...but most of all making sure your snake is healthy...

I usually say whenever she doesn't say NO!!!! Seriously thought the rule of thumb is 4 years and 4 kgs

Who's rule of thumb is that....lmao.

There are two factors that infulence breeding and that is size and age. A carpet can breed at 2 1/2years but needs some decent size on them, they can also breed at a smaller size if they have the age. So a small 5ft female coastal can breed at 4 or 5yrs of age, but an 18 month old of the same size would most likely not breed. I have bred carpets of most species at 2 1/2 years of ageand also some that didn't feed as well at an older age. In a nutshell, pair them up, if they breed...they breed, if they don't, try again next year. The difference between a small female and a large is generally clutch size and a slight difference in egg weight. There are no side effects for them breeding at a young age.

Daz

It's not worth breeding too early. If its on the cusp you are better off just waiting it out. There's always next year and the health of your female should come first. Early pregnancies can also produce low egg counts with higher percentage slugs. Hope this helps.

Who's rule of thumb is that....lmao.

There are two factors that infulence breeding and that is size and age. A carpet can breed at 2 1/2years but needs some decent size on them, they can also breed at a smaller size if they have the age. So a small 5ft female coastal can breed at 4 or 5yrs of age, but an 18 month old of the same size would most likely not breed. I have bred carpets of most species at 2 1/2 years of ageand also some that didn't feed as well at an older age. In a nutshell, pair them up, if they breed...they breed, if they don't, try again next year. The difference between a small female and a large is generally clutch size and a slight difference in egg weight. There are no side effects for them breeding at a young age.

Daz
That is just a rule of thumb that I have heard tossed around here mate. I have also read that if you breed Morelia females before 3 years of age the clutch size on average will be half that of 4 year old assuming that both snakes are in good condition and have a decent size for their age. Each to there own though if people want to breed their snakes earlier to make a little moor money than so be it. Snakes can also breed every year if made to but that does not mean it is what is best for the snakes welfare.

andynic072329605 said:
That is just a rule of thumb that I have heard tossed around here mate. I have also read that if you breed Morelia females before 3 years of age the clutch size on average will be half that of 4 year old assuming that both snakes are in good condition and have a decent size for their age. Each to there own though if people want to breed their snakes earlier to make a little moor money than so be it. Snakes can also breed every year if made to but that does not mean it is what is best for the snakes welfare.

This sounds like anecdotal evidence at best.

This sounds like anecdotal evidence at best.

Agreed.

My first coastal I bred at 2 1/2 years, she is now nearing 9 or 10 yrs of age, she bred every year for the first 5 or 6 and the only reason she isn't breeding now is because I don't pair her up with a male. I don't see the need to produce a clutch of 30+ coastals for no reason. Doing this has not been detrimental to the snakes health in anyway shape or form. I have also have a few antaresia who are the same, some have bred every year for the past 8 or 9 years. All still healthy, in fact one female bred at 18 months and is still going strong.

If you think your animal is a little small then by all means wait another year, but in all honesty, it doesn't matter what you do, if the female isn;t ready, she won't breed. But being small, is not going to affect them in anyway.

Daz

I can't believe how bad alot of the advise above is.

At 2.2kg if she was fed regularly up until the end of April she would defiantly be capable of breeding.

Agreed.

My first coastal I bred at 2 1/2 years, she is now nearing 9 or 10 yrs of age, she bred every year for the first 5 or 6 and the only reason she isn't breeding now is because I don't pair her up with a male. I don't see the need to produce a clutch of 30+ coastals

Daz

Its all good if you have fussy BHP hatchies...thats one way to get rid off them...I cant understand why so many people are in a rush to breed their snakes...Obviously if the female isnt ready then she wont breed..Also gotta think of her health..before mating..while shes gravid..and after egg laying...IMO the snakes health outweighs any amount of eggs...Personally i would wait til shes got good size and age before even attempting to mate with any females...

...I cant understand why so many people are in a rush to breed their snakes... ..

All part of the now generation. Can't wait or delay gratification. Everything has to be right now! Regardless of whether or not its in the animals best interest.

Its all good if you have fussy BHP hatchies...thats one way to get rid off them...I cant understand why so many people are in a rush to breed their snakes...Obviously if the female isnt ready then she wont breed..Also gotta think of her health..before mating..while shes gravid..and after egg laying...IMO the snakes health outweighs any amount of eggs...Personally i would wait til shes got good size and age before even attempting to mate with any females...

Since when did "rush" come into. The OP was asking how to tell when they are ready..!!
I have absolutlely no idea what the relevance of what I said has to do with BHP hatchies and being one way to get rid of them...??:?

So what issues are you getting at in regards to their health before mating....whiles she gravid and after egg laying..?? There are all these comments about their 'health' but I can't see any list of problems it causes..?? UWS's study on childrens pythons had them breeding at 18 months a few years ago....they had no side affects of breeding at an early age at all. The ones that were too small simply didn't breed. No health issues, no side affects...zilch...nothing. So if there is some documented evidence to the health issues involved in breeding your animals too early I would love to read it. There is enough evidence around to say there are no effects at all, just ask UWS or any larger breeder.

Daz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back