Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Amazon

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:#B200FF;">Amaz
Reaction score
Heard that it was signed off last night that reptiles can now be sold in shops in NSW. Can anyone confirm?

I must say after the last thread, I wasn't expecting another so soon.

This could get interesting.

dont think its true cant find it anywhere in bills and legislations passed lately including bills and acts passed late last nite at 1.00am heres the link

NSW Legislation

Have heard it from 2 different reliable sources!

I found this on another site and 'borrowed' the link, it is a fax that was sent out yesterday...
29310d1363909270-reptiles-nsw-pet-shops-looks-like-its-finally-here-image.jpg

Fax machines.... so 90's.

Can only hope the Department of Whatever It's Called This Week gets adequate funding to allow supervision/inspections to weed out some of the crap I've witnessed down here in Vic.

My sentiments exactly Wal! I've seen some shocking stuff and was unfortunately even part of the process back in the early 70's, collecting Shinglebacks from Western Vic for sale through pet shops in Metro Melbourne. Needless to say, the vast majority (if not all) died from RI's.

Yes.. agree with above; some of the conditions reptiles are kept in at Victorian pet shops is disgraceful! Would love to name and shame some of these outlets on this forum, but it's probably not allowed.

Yes.. agree with above; some of the conditions reptiles are kept in at Victorian pet shops is disgraceful! Would love to name and shame some of these outlets on this forum, but it's probably not allowed.

Well, you can only hope, it is the government after all, that they are aware of the crap that may have happened in other states regarding selling reptiles in Pet shops and maybe have learnt something from it, to make sure it does not happen in NSW.

I can't wait to buy my first 2ft Carpet & Fish-tank Starter-Kit.

Don't forget the UVB bulb!

It will be interesting to see what happens.

wow this is some cool news. Hopefully the petshops have some sort of training or education provided to their employees so that the animals are taken care of properly. Just going off what I see in petshops with dead fish in fish tanks, dogs and cats and rabbits stinking with stool everywhere... Just hope it helps the hobby and not stuffs it up.
Either way exciting and interesting times are ahead of us.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather reptiles not be sold in pet stores. I'd put money on them not being looked after properly.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather reptiles not be sold in pet stores. I'd put money on them not being looked after properly.
Just depends on the owners. Here in wa there are good and bad pet shops selling reptiles.
I keep hearing about one SOR that sold my friend a heat rock. After it burnt her stimi the owner told her he has to stock and recommend the products as part of his contract with the distributor. What a load of crap.

Wait, this may be a stupid question, but does that mean you don't need a license here in NSW to keep reptiles?

Wait, this may be a stupid question, but does that mean you don't need a license here in NSW to keep reptiles?

What gives you that idea ? The law has been changed to allow the sale of reptiles in pet shops. I've read nothing about a licensing change.

you will still need a license but you will be able to buy the reptiles at pet shops instead of just at breeders

Luckily here in Adelaide we have a number of good reptile specific stores that are owned and run by enthusiasts who are experienced and knowledgable. Hopefully you can get the same situation over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back