Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that would make the shortest floor measurement 0.24m.

Wing_Nut

Thanks wing nut and chris1...

these cage measurements (for snakes at least) seem smaller than most ppl make anyways... you can still keep babies and juvies up to 18months in tubs, then up grade to a enclosure...

For Carpets the min size for something over 18 months of age for 1 animal is 0.625m2 so an enclosure of 1m x 0.625m would be needed

The python cages arent too bad.
Its the monitor cages that bother me.
I'm going to have to build an extension on the house if I decide to keep the Spencers as adults inside. Their requirements are almost bigger than my bedroom as adults!!

I keep alot of pythons, monitors and geckos. So far for size the standard cages for pythons and geckos seem to be ok. Its the monitor cages that will stuff me around particularly the ackies, tristis, and scalaris.

''animals need substrate deep enough to be able to bury themselves'' no more newspaper......

Chris1 all my cages comply for all my animals bar 1 who's new cage in the process of being built is larger then standards, i just think your comments and thoughts are irrelevant and foolish.

i agree we need some rules in place on minimum size recquirments as i have seen adult pythons kept in 2ft enclosures and tiny tubs but some of these rules are a joke.

Wouldn't it make more sence to base enclosure size on a percentage of a snakes length? At the moment Pygmy pythons are required to have the same size as a stimsons that grows to twice the length.... Because that makes sence right?

Chris1 all my cages comply for all my animals bar 1 who's new cage in the process of being built is larger then standards, i just think your comments and thoughts are irrelevant and foolish.

i dont see how my comments are irrelevant or foolish, every day i see people who 'cant wait till tlhey have enough snakes to fill a rack', theyre not even trying to provide adequate housing, just trying to get a larger number of animals than the next person.

and i dont care what you think, its the law now, and high time too.

im off to bake some muffins so i can offer the inspectors a nice muffin with their cup of coffee when they come to my door. :)

Wouldn't it make more sence to base enclosure size on a percentage of a snakes length? At the moment Pygmy pythons are required to have the same size as a stimsons that grows to twice the length.... Because that makes sence right?

isnt the rule 20% of the snakes length on the shorter dimension and 50% on the longer dimension?

Bury themselves under another layer of newspaper. ;)
yes but if they come to your house and cant find anything wrong. will they then fine you because your enclosures don't have a substrate deep enough to bury in? not hide under but bury in....

i dont see how my comments are irrelevant or foolish, every day i see people who 'cant wait till tlhey have enough snakes to fill a rack', theyre not even trying to provide adequate housing, just trying to get a larger number of animals than the next person.

im off to bake some muffins so i can offer the inspectors a nice muffin with their cup of coffee when they come to my door. :)

Its not law for a year.

I was looking at the table they have where it tells you minimum floor size.

hahaha laters mate.

regarding the filling of a rack for the sake of it - i have no issues with racks really, they work very well and ive used them in the past to great success for a number of reasons with a number of animals, they work hands down. the odd people that buy a rack and fill it with what seems to be the new "hot snake" or what people tell them they should get are just stupid and shouldnt have snakes or lizards in the first place...i doubt a code of practice regarding enclosure sizes will stop the immature "know it alls" and if it does they will probably just become underground anyway like the majority of them go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back