Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Its a nice article but your tub for male Morelia wont meet the standard it will need to go into the boa one you mentioned. As for the hieght of these at 24cm suppose depending on how you present your climbing space and the mood of the officer they could find that that isn't meeting Standard 4.1.1.3.

even the generic values aren't that far off what most people keep and recommend... I cant see the problem
A stimulus grows to about 1.1m and a Pygmy to about 50cm yet they require the same enclosure size? A gouldii gouldii grows much larger than a gouldii flavi etc etc.

Last edited:
Are these regs based on any shred of evidence? Is there any studies based on cage size vs animal welfare? Or was it designed by a knob with a ruler?

bushy...there is no height requirements in their measurements mate,only length x width.... so going by that,then 24cm is fine

You are partly right in that there is no measurement written for height but read Standard 4.1.1.3.. "An enclosure housing a species that normally climbs (see Appendix A) must have sufficient useable vertical space for the reptile to climb". The authorised officers that will enforce this will range in experience some will be scared and some will be keepers, but by and large the majority wont be that clued on. This standard has left it open to their interpreptation and you as the keeper will probably have to covience them that 24cm is providing sufficient useable vertical space.

If you can do that then no worries but you will run the risk that the unknowledgeable authorised officer will want more space.

P.S There is no right or wrong answers here an officer may turn around and said anything less than 200cm isnt enough, its the unknown factor of the officer who will decide this.

Last edited:
As far as compliance goes, you would think if you are found non complaint they would give you a small time frame to be up to standard before seizing your reptiles.

I can't see them bagging everything up and leaving with it then and there, it means more paperwork and they would have to hold the animals in a manner that meets their own compliance standards whilst they organise ballots and the like.

Very much a case of "I'm all right Jack, bugger the rest of you" I think.

Jamie

Quite the opposite actually, ive spent the past 5 years getting myself into a house i can barely afford the mortgage on so i can upgrade enclosures (i cant really afford either) to the required sizes since i knew this was coming and there was bugger all i could do about it.
all snake purchases were put on hold,....and now that the sizes are far more reasonable than i originally anticipated it looks like i might even be able to add one or 2 more.

sure my first few comments were maybe a bit light hearted, but that cos the cage sizes werent half as bad as they were originally, and therefore didnt expect this thread to become quite so serious.

ps. the muffins are far to tasty and unless they hurry they'll be gone long before any inspectors make it to my place,....

My rack system tubs are 85.1cm by 44.5cm which is 3.75m/sq or thereabouts. Bummer, if the specs are correct it should be 4m/sq
Womas are classed as 1.5-2m (C) which in the case of my adults, is wrong, since mine only got to 1.5m and should really be classed as B since they don't get any longer than 1.5m.
I'm going to ditch the tubs and get 4ft enclosures anyway since mine don't seem to like being kept in tubs; when the summer ends the males start going crazy and need more space IMHO.

Just read the code and made the rounds of the house with my tape measure....

The standard for size refers to the floor OR back wall of a python enclosure. The floor space of one of my Darwin enclosures does not quite make the new mandate, but the front wall does. The back wall is smaller because it is made from a weirdly-shaped old TV cabinet. I'd like to see the officers do the mathematics to figure out the floor size and wonder if they would be sticklers about which wall is adequately sized. I fit into the enclosure, so I think it is suitable housing for my Darwin. Given that Darwins are arboreal and need suitable climbing opportunities, I assume that the wall bit would be relevant, as long as the depth is not less than 20% of the length of the animal (which it is not).

I was most relieved to discover that my 7 litre sistema tubs are suitable up to 18 months based on floor area.

Despite the fact that my enclosures all seem to be compliant, I still object to the mandatory enclosure sizes. It is very frustrating the way the herp societies have been shut out of the discussion. The AHS has been fighting to be part of it for more than a year, but to no avail. After the initial consultation, herp societies and knowledgeable professionals were shut out. This is not how an appropriate consultation should be run.

PS benjamind - my womas are only 1.4 or 1.5 metres, but still stuck with the longer assumption.

Most of this seems common sense or at least common practice... So far I disagree with the minimum cage sizes. This should be a recommended guideline more than anything. Considering my over 4 meter Scrubby lives in a 300x300x350 hide box must of the time... :)

My rack system tubs are 85.1cm by 44.5cm which is 3.75m/sq or thereabouts. Bummer, if the specs are correct it should be 4m/sq
Womas are classed as 1.5-2m (C) which in the case of my adults, is wrong, since mine only got to 1.5m and should really be classed as B since they don't get any longer than 1.5m.
I'm going to ditch the tubs and get 4ft enclosures anyway since mine don't seem to like being kept in tubs; when the summer ends the males start going crazy and need more space IMHO.
.85m x .44m = .374m2 on my calicuations. Then again my maths isn't great.

I think the rule is kinda silly I mean people keep birds in tiny little cages how about they check them cause we have a lot more rules to follow then other keepers of different animals imo

Can someone please tell me, will a 45x30x30cm enclosure be ok for 2-3 B class geckos (arboreal, 45cm is the height) ?
Also is a 100x40cm ok for 2 B class dragons?

Last edited:
How do u tell the classes are are they the license u hold ?

cause I have thick-tailed gecko and bluetongue and 2 bearded dragon they all class one but are they a b or c ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back