Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough, while the minimum sizes for some lizards and snakes seem to be inflated, the ones for turtles are slightly appalling. 2 fully grown Maclaeys in a 3x2?! 2 Murrays in a 4x2. Really, way to small to actually be good for the turtles.

No it doesn't have to be. They havent put any measures to height. The code says if the species you keep is a climber you can use either the floor or back wall as the measurement for the standards. For those that aren't like womas etc it must be the floor area.

The part that is open ended is if you have a species that is identified as a climber you must provide sufficent usable verticle space to climb.

l am in QLD but my Bredli are in enclosures 75 cm square by 200cm tall, would they pass ??? solar 17 :)

Sorry, Baden, needs to be at least 90x60. You're a bad keeper and should feel bad.

*sarcasm*

But yeah, doesn't meet the requirements.

Also, if the dimensions are measured on the outside, I wonder what bright spark will think of using wood 30cm thick?

Can someone help me understand the cage size calculations on the last page? For example, a Spotted comes under "A". Average body size: 0.5-1.0m (mine is over a metre already). But the cage size is: 0.5(1.0) x 0.3(1.0) = 0.5 x 0.3.

What are the figures in brackets? What are the figures not in brackets? I'm a little confused how to work this out.

Incidentally, coastal carpets are said to have an average adult length of 2.0 to 2.5m. What if they grow much larger - as mine is clearly going to be? Can it still live in the enclosure size specified?

Thanks for any help,
Mark.

Can someone help me understand the cage size calculations on the last page? For example, a Spotted comes under "A". Average body size: 0.5-1.0m (mine is over a metre already). But the cage size is: 0.5(1.0) x 0.3(1.0) = 0.5 x 0.3.

What are the figures in brackets? What are the figures not in brackets? I'm a little confused how to work this out.

The figures in brackets are the "maximum" length of the animal. The figures not in brackets are the minimum requirements for enclosure dimensions. So it is saying 50% of the max length of the snake times 30% of the max length of the snake are the minimum requirements

The figures in brackets are the "maximum" length of the animal. The figures not in brackets are the minimum requirements for enclosure dimensions. So it is saying 50% of the max length of the snake times 30% of the max length of the snake are the minimum requirements

Thanks for that. You've made sense of some pretty confusing stuff.

Incidentally, coastal carpets are said to have an average adult length of 2.0 to 2.5m. What if they grow much larger - as mine is clearly going to be? Can it still live in the enclosure size specified?

Thanks for any help,
Mark.

The figures in brackets refers to the adult size of the animal by the standard. The number outside the brackets represents the proportional size the enclosure should be based on the adult length. 0.5 is half etc

There is a guideline that suggests you should make allowances for individuals that are larger than the standard however that is not a requirement.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Which brings us to the point I was trying to make, why wouldn't you just use their formula and insert the length of your reptile and bingo you have a better formula than trying to say, well they might get this big or say all localities grow to the same size.

That would be something only the department could explain fully. Both methods have there pitfalls and merits.

Regards

Wing_Nut

So the table B2 says for woma (C): 0.5(2.0) x 0.2(2.0) = 1.0 x 0.40

Does this mean the minimum requirement for a Woma is 1000mm long x 400mm deep ?

Yes, the minimum size is 1000mm x 400mm.

Regards

Wing_Nut

whats the min size for 1 eastern water skink myne is about 20cm long atm

30cm x 20cm.

On a side note, have you read the code and don't understand it, or just not read it? It is sounding more and more that people are finding it very confusing. That's going to make things interesting for the department if its too confusing for average Joe!

Regards

Wing_Nut

If I have read the COP correctly an Anteresia maculosa adult (Python A) less than 1m in length can be kept in Starmaid Storemate 20L (558x390x145mm manufactures dimensions) and 30L (558x390x217mm manufactures dimensions) tub rack set up.

Table B2: Snakes
dir="LTR" border="1" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="7"
|-
| valign="TOP" style="width: 34%" | Python
| valign="TOP" style="width: 22%" | A
| valign="TOP" style="width: 22%" | 0.5 – 1.0
| valign="TOP" style="width: 22%" | 0.5(1.0) x 0.3(1.0) = 0.5 x 0.3
|-

Would this be a correct interpretation of the COP?

Last edited:
ok what are the numbers in brackets.....thats what i'm not understanding......yeh i know,i'm stupid,not smart like the rest of you

Last edited:
ok what are the numbers in brackets.....thats what i'm not understanding......yeh i know,i'm stupid,not smart like the rest of you

Sax has explained it here: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/nsw-code-practice-released-202513/page/14#post2336987

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back