Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love/pay to witness an OEH/DEC officer attempting to measure an elapid to properly ensure the enclosure is of regulation size, because I personally wouldn't accept a "guess" at the length of a reptile if they are trying to prosecute me ;)

I'd love/pay to witness an OEH/DEC officer attempting to measure an elapid to properly ensure the enclosure is of regulation size, because I personally wouldn't accept a "guess" at the length of a reptile if they are trying to prosecute me ;)

Remember they arn't elapids, they have called them Dangerously Venomous. *rolls eyes*

The example for "d" category pythons has an enclosure size of 1.25 x 0.5

Am I correct in thinking that you cannot go smaller one of the dimensions while going larger on the other dimension to achieve the floor space needed ?

It mentions lengths (e.g. between 0.5 and 1m). Which is why I said I wouldn't accept a guess.
Look at the minimum size table the lower table is showing how they came to the sizes. We don't actually base the size of the enclosure on the size of the snake, just the area they give us.

Am I correct in thinking that you cannot go smaller one of the dimensions while going larger on the other dimension to achieve the floor space needed ?

You are correct.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Remember they arn't elapids, they have called them Dangerously Venomous. *rolls eyes*

Why is that wrong? It's a description which allows them to differentiate them from the lower class elapids which aren't considered capable of giving a medically significant bite

I agree with you Sax. MyMitchie, read a few herp books. "Dangerously Venomous" is an accurate, clear, correct term to differentiate between a venomous snake that can cause a significant medical illness or death, and a mildly or weakly venomous snake that doesn't. OK? All clear now?

Also not many people have commented about the turtle requirements. The python ones are reasonable I think (mostly) but there is no way that I comply with my turtle ponds. I think I may have to get rid of most of my turtles, but need to try and understand the code a bit better in that regard. Doesn't look good though for turtle keepers.

You can go smaller on the 1.25 dimension but not the 0.5 dimension because that would go against 4.3.1.1: "The enclosure’s shortest floor dimension must not be less than 20% of the total length of the largest snake being housed."

You can go smaller on the 1.25 dimension but not the 0.5 dimension because that would go against 4.3.1.1: "The enclosure’s shortest floor dimension must not be less than 20% of the total length of the largest snake being housed."

That's a relief as I had visions of a lot of enclosures measuring 1.2 long which would have screwed a lot of keepers up.

Which brings us to the point I was trying to make, why wouldn't you just use their formula and insert the length of your reptile and bingo you have a better formula than trying to say, well they might get this big or say all localities grow to the same size.

That would be too hard to enforce, which is the whole aim of this code. They would have to measure the length of every snake which is often near impossible at the nest of times.

That would be too hard to enforce, which is the whole aim of this code. They would have to measure the length of every snake which is often near impossible at the nest of times.

Yup.On top of that I wouldn't want anyone from the department coming in and handling any of our reptiles.It would be bad enough with them coming to do an audit not knowing what other collections they have been to that day.Quarantine would be badly compromised.

It isn't that hard to look at a snake and get a pretty good estimate of its size, it would be a few cm out but I'm sure that wouldn't worry them too much. If it looks like its close then they get you to measure it with string, I don't think it's that hard.

It isn't that hard to look at a snake and get a pretty good estimate of its size, it would be a few cm out but I'm sure that wouldn't worry them too much. If it looks like its close then they get you to measure it with string, I don't think it's that hard.

You're joking aren't you? You would have no idea of the length of a snake that is coiled up under a basking lamp for example.

If it is then get the keeper to move it. Anyway I'm not about to get baited into an argument which seems to be your intention by starting of with 'Your joking aren't you?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back