Possible Eastern Brown inside

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that lump all snakes together as to how you should react and manage them, all I can say your field experiences with different species are evidently lacking. For example, I would comfortable tailing a warm tiger snake any day but would think twice about doing so with a warmed up brown snake. Eastern browns in particular have a short wick and are given to display aggressive defence far more readily than most other species. Steve Irwin did a video on the top 10 most dangerous snakes. Have a look at his handling of an Eastern Brown compared to the much more venomous Central Taipan.

Blue

This is getting off topic a little but I have to say that the reputation the Eastern Brown has for 'aggression' (a word i personally hate in this context) is greatly exaggerated. I have no experience in handling Tiger Snakes but have been catching EB's here in NQ for many years. I agree they are certainly NOT a snake to be taken lightly but almost without exception they will settle down within a short period of time when tailed and allowed to rest their head on the ground and the body supported by a hook. When they feel threatened by your approach and attempts to catch them they will obviously give a threatening defensive display and make 'striking' movements towards you but these initial strikes are almost invariably bluff/warnings. Eventually under continued harassment they will strike with intent but initially they are surprisingly tolerant of harassment but their behaviour is easily mistaken for aggression.

An interesting conclusion from a paper by Whitaker, Ellis and Shine entitled "The defensive strike of the Eastern Brown snake" states "Contrary to popular opinion, Eastern Brownsnakes are reluctant to deliver firm bites in response to human harassment even when continually provoked. It is estimated that only 15% of the strikes recorded had the potential to cause significant envenomation"
In my experience I fully concur with that statement.

For those that lump all snakes together as to how you should react and manage them, all I can say your field experiences with different species are evidently lacking. For example, I would comfortable tailing a warm tiger snake any day but would think twice about doing so with a warmed up brown snake. Eastern browns in particular have a short wick and are given to display aggressive defence far more readily than most other species. Steve Irwin did a video on the top 10 most dangerous snakes. Have a look at his handling of an Eastern Brown compared to the much more venomous Central Taipan.

Blue
who is this aimed at blue ? i dont think you need any "field experience " to be able to say that the member who provoked all this discussion is a douche , grabbing a shovel to kill a as you've put it a species with a short wick and bad temper , wouldn't grabbing your kids and keeping an eye on the animal from a distance to see where it goes etc be a more logical / safer approach , i know you like to try to stick up for the little guy but this guy doesn't need your defence , its sounding like you may condone his behaviour

Can the mods provide reasons when editing posts please?

As an example, at the bottom of my post "post edited to remove quote".

Cheers.

when you have kids and live in the bush and there are no snake catchers around you have to deal with it yourself trust me i don't enjoy it

i live in the middle of nowhere and have 3 kids 6 , 3 1/2 , and 15 months old and i have removed 3 Eastern Browns from my yard this season all still alive and well to live another day there is no snake catcher within 150 km well that is for another couple weeks till my permit comes through

Nothing wronge with eastern brown treat them with respect They dont bite for no reason Contact Rob at Sydney snake catchers There are different levels of proffessional catchers out there Grade one would have found the snake

i live in the middle of nowhere and have 3 kids 6 , 3 1/2 , and 15 months old and i have removed 3 Eastern Browns from my yard this season all still alive and well to live another day there is no snake catcher within 150 km well that is for another couple weeks till my permit comes through
I am not defending the killing of snakes but there is a big difference between you who has obviously had training and experience to be getting your snake catcher permit and the average python keeper who has no elapid experience at all.

1. Set up an enclosed bait inside a room.
Not in a open spaced room like the living room, but at the corner of an enclosed room in a point furthest away from the room's entry point (the door).
The enclosed bait can be some mice in a cage that has no entry point for the snake.
The cage sits on a piece of cardboard (standard size that you buy at a Newsagents)
Sprinkle flour or sand onto the cardbaord around the cage.

2. Set up a motion triggered video camera on the wall behind the cage, facing the entry point to the room.

3. Set up snake-friendly hide out materials in the room near the cage.
The snake will likely hideout out nearby the bait when it gets frustrated by not being able to get it.

The camera will let you know if the snake remains in the room or exits. It will also let you be able to identify the snake!

Then wait...

OR, as mentioned above, call the expert in.

I've used the technique described above and it worked. I use these cameras for hunting feral dogs too. Very useful.

Last edited:
cheap and easy way to know if its still there buy a few bottles of baby powder and cover the floor with it go back after 24 hours and if there is snake tracks you know its there and it might lead to were its hiding.

I am not defending the killing of snakes but there is a big difference between you who has obviously had training and experience to be getting your snake catcher permit and the average python keeper who has no elapid experience at all.
i have been dealing with wild vens since i was 13, i was removing browns and tigers from dads bird averies to save them from dads shovel, took a few years but i een convinced him not to kill them, 17 years later he is still telling me he catches them when he can and removes them

Sorry about the confusion. I did NOT see the comment that was deleted and was not referring to it.

What I was trying to say, is that not all venomous snakes are equal in terms of the likelihood of delivering a bite when attempts are made to capture them. I was also making the point that this bears no direct relationship to the potential toxicity of a species.

Whether Eastern Browns are bluffing or not, they are fast and reactive if cornered and will feign or deliver multiple strikes if threatened, with a bite on the end if in range. If injured and still capable, they will launch themselves at their tormentor. They are not alone in that respect.
Whether a strike is in the 15% with the potential to cause envenomation or the 85% feigning, you don’t know ahead of time. Anyone who does NOT have experience in handling these animals, should leave them well alone (as should be done with any snake species one lacks experience with). It must be pointed out that if Browns are offered an escape route, they will take it, just like any other snake. I should mention the Brown Tree Snake as an equivalent reactive snake when cornered or feeling threatened.

Blue

Sorry about the confusion. I did NOT see the comment that was deleted and was not referring to it.

What I was trying to say, is that not all venomous snakes are equal in terms of the likelihood of delivering a bite when attempts are made to capture them. I was also making the point that this bears no direct relationship to the potential toxicity of a species.

Whether Eastern Browns are bluffing or not, they are fast and reactive if cornered and will feign or deliver multiple strikes if threatened, with a bite on the end if in range. If injured and still capable, they will launch themselves at their tormentor. They are not alone in that respect.
Whether a strike is in the 15% with the potential to cause envenomation or the 85% feigning, you don’t know ahead of time. Anyone who does NOT have experience in handling these animals, should leave them well alone (as should be done with any snake species one lacks experience with). It must be pointed out that if Browns are offered an escape route, they will take it, just like any other snake. I should mention the Brown Tree Snake as an equivalent reactive snake when cornered or feeling threatened.

Blue
as blue said you never know weather a snake in going to envenomate you when it bites, i treat all venomous snakes with the expectation that if they got hold of me they would pump venom into me. i would never tell anyone that doesnt know about snakes that its ok they only deal out venom on 15% of bites, i'm just not a gambling man.

Personally I haven't tried this one myself but a mate has heaps of snakes on his property and he swears by putting milk in a coke can and the snake usually gets its head stuck in the can and you have a snake with a coke can on its head which is much easier to find and catch. But like I said, haven't tried this one myself.
wow that ones right up there with bird netting , please people dont try this , just let a pro catch the snake the way they want to , thing with bird netting and cans is that once youve got it trapped the snake catcher (if you call them) has the job of removing a (possibly) angry snakes head from a can , which isnt an easy task for them and puts them at major risk as its hard to keep hold of the snake properly whilst trying to do something like this , this has to be one of the worst ideas ive heard on here regarding the catching of snakes think about the damage that could possibly be done to the snake as it trys to free itself also

the metal edges around the opening of a coke can are sharp and can cut into a snake that is trying to free itself. i would not do this. trying to get a ven's head free out of a can is dangerous as it involves cutting the can without hurting the snake and trying not to get bitten in the process.

let the experts do it.

there are some vid's on here about snakes stuck in cans and bird netting, its not nice and it takes a while to free them and they have damage to the snakes most of the time.

Well the snake is still there. Still no further sighting, but tracks in the powder. The guy who was recommended is on the job, but this one is proving to be difficult top catch.

Wow that is a long time to have a brown snake in your house, make sure we get some pictures when it is finally caught.

were the tracks visable enough to track were its going/ hiding?

foxie will find it quickly and easily

just make sure its on a short leash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back