What exactly is an RPM?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendont

Reaction score
I just searched the same question and couldnt find the info. So, as the title suggests; What exactly is an RPM?
I know it stands for Reduced Pattern Morph but what exactly does this mean? Are these jags or COMPLETELY unrelated and just came about through selective breeding? I have seen some nice looking RPMs but would like to know exactly what they are!!

Jag is the American term for a RPM. They are bred from jungles originally but now are being crossed with diamonds , bredli , coastals. There are supposed to be pure coastal line Jags around but most people seem sceptical about that fact.

RPM are jags.
RP are non jags with a jag like reduction in patterning. There are some very nice ones but they are line bred so their patterning isn't inheritable like jags.

Jag is the American term for a RPM. They are bred from jungles originally but now are being crossed with diamonds , bredli , coastals. There are supposed to be pure coastal line Jags around but most people seem sceptical about that fact.
that doesnt make sense to me. I thought the original jags were Coastals. so if RPM=Jag, how were they originally bred from jungles?
lets not turn this into a poofest.
IS RPM A FANCY WAY OF SAYING JAG? YES OR NO?

EDIT: thankyou Saximus

that doesnt make sense to me. I thought the original jags were Coastals. so if RPM=Jag, how were they originally bred from jungles?
lets not turn this into a poofest.
IS RPM A FANCY WAY OF SAYING JAG? YES OR NO?

EDIT: thankyou Saximus
What I said makes sense, whether it is correct or not is the question as I thought the first jag was a jungle not a coastal but it could be the other way around. I have seen a coastal jag spoken about on a thread here and people were sceptical if it was a pure coastal being that it was a jag.

What I said makes sense, whether it is correct or not is the question as I thought the first jag was a jungle not a coastal but it could be the other way around. I have seen a coastal jag spoken about on a thread here and people were sceptical if it was a pure coastal being that it was a jag.
original Jag was a coastal produced in Norway.... Plenty of info and links on this forum for u to read.... As in the US and UK... Jags have been introduced to all other carpets hence y they r beginning to become a right mix.... Seen them advertised for 250 this yr as "mixed blood Jags" and it's not guna get any better.... Basically if a jag looks good it will hold a large price tag .... If a jag has mixed blood lines then its up to u!!!

RPM are jags.
RP are non jags with a jag like reduction in patterning. There are some very nice ones but they are line bred so their patterning isn't inheritable like jags.

Just to cover this I know you know this Saximus just clarifying for others, RP (non-jag reduced pattern) animals are line bred but that doesn't mean their trait isn't heritable. It is heritable (passed down genetically), it's just polygenic. Poly - many, genic - of genes meaning multiple genes code for the trait. Whereas the jag/RPM trait is coded for by one gene so it's easier to reproduce.

original Jag was a coastal produced in Norway.... Plenty of info and links on this forum for u to read.... As in the US and UK... Jags have been introduced to all other carpets hence y they r beginning to become a right mix.... Seen them advertised for 250 this yr as "mixed blood Jags" and it's not guna get any better.... Basically if a jag looks good it will hold a large price tag .... If a jag has mixed blood lines then its up to u!!!
Fair enough, thanks for the correction. Why do we see mostly jungle jags here in Australia?

because good jungle jags bring out the high yellow

over seas they used iryan jayas to get a similar effect

what is a jag sib i have seen some for sale but they look like normal wild type not the reduced pattern do they still carry the jag gene????

They are the normal offspring from a jag pairing. They have no jag influence and are basically the exact same as a regular Morelia cross. I'm not sure where the term came from but I imagine it probably started as a way to advertise cross-breeds without the stigma that comes with that or the dreaded "hybrid" term.

RPM was the name used when the first Jags entered the country and everyone was to scared to advertise them as Jags! The name just sort of stuck from there.

The term jag sib is just short for sibling because ( for those of you who might not know ) half of a clutch turns out jag and half the clutch wild type because it is an incomplete dominant gene

They are the normal offspring from a jag pairing. They have no jag influence and are basically the exact same as a regular Morelia cross. I'm not sure where the term came from but I imagine it probably started as a way to advertise cross-breeds without the stigma that comes with that or the dreaded "hybrid" term.

that is what i was thinking thanks for clearing it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back