Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crested gecko Rhacodactylus ciliatus
079.jpg
Is this your crested gecko and if it is I didn't think you where allowed to keep them in Australia? and its a stunning photo by the way!!!!cheers riley

I am just getting into reptile and other wildlife photography and I am planning on getting a Nikon D3100 twin lense kit; 18-55mm & 70-300mm lenses.
I am curious whether too how much it will cost for lighting on the camera if I need others besides the pop up one it already has.
And I am also wondering what else I will need to magnificently photograph reptiles?

Cheers, Bohdi.

That's a complicated question.

Your best approach is to do some research, and then some more.

It depends on what style of photography you're interested in, how versatile you want your set up to be. I do a lot of studio stuff and mostly use continuous lighting. I also use some flash guns and ring flashes from time to time.

Entry level flash guns are relatively inexpensive, they are a good place to start and you can upgrade as you go. As your skills develop, so will your requirements.

A lot of photographers steer away from using the on board flash. It kills detail and makes photos flat and lifeless. You just have to use what you've got, effectively.

I am just getting into reptile and other wildlife photography and I am planning on getting a Nikon D3100 twin lense kit; 18-55mm & 70-300mm lenses.
I am curious whether too how much it will cost for lighting on the camera if I need others besides the pop up one it already has.
And I am also wondering what else I will need to magnificently photograph reptiles?

Cheers, Bohdi.

You don't really need too much fancy eqipment to do photography (it helps)... sometimes a camera, a log, a snake and some sunhine is all it takes.

e87bdea9.jpg

01df87f1.jpg

5d38fd0c.jpg

Rainbow serpent, aren't they in our indigenous culture? lol

The 'rainbow serpent' that gets noted in our indigenous culture is believed to be the water python as it often has a rainbow sheen to it's scales. Rainbow 'Boa' is not native.

...I am also wondering what else I will need to magnificently photograph reptiles?

Practice!
Lots and lots of practice.

There's no point buying a Nikon D4 w/ the new $8k f/2.8 ED VR lens, if you don't know how to use it.

Ideally, if possible, you should have at least a macro lens (ie 90mm 1:1 macro) and a dedicated macro strobes...

If not, use what you have, practice for a while till you're ready to invest more skills and $$$ in more advanced lens/flashes etc.

Hope this helps? Cheers :)

P.S. google how to build your own macro lens.
You'll need a black painted tube roll and you'll also need to sacrifice 1-2 rear lens cover - total cost aprox. 10-20 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers, Bohdi.

Here's some I took with a D3100 + 18-55 lens using the on-board flash.

DSC_0172_edited-1.jpgDSC_0177_edited-1.jpgDSC_0192_edited-1.jpgDSC_0203_edited-1.jpgDSC_0205_edited-1.jpg

I have my replacement D90 now and a few new lenses. (the last camera decided on a swim in Bynoe Harbour, I got it back but it's just a paperweight now.)

The 'rainbow serpent' that gets noted in our indigenous culture is believed to be the water python as it often has a rainbow sheen to it's scales. Rainbow 'Boa' is not native.
Yeah mate I know and that is why I put "lol" at the end just in case my sarcasim was not conveyed through written words.

wow, some of those photos are stunning. Wish I had a camera that could take photos like that.
Anyone can have good equipment, but you've gotta know how to use it as well ;)

To the OP, not sure if it's already been said as I don't have time to read through the whole thread, but turn your flash off! Either take photos during the day only, or get an external flash that won't cast harsh shadows like that. Some of them are reasonably priced. Here's a guide I wrote a few years ago that might help you make the most out of low light situations.

Anyone can have good equipment, but you've gotta know how to use it as well ;)

To the OP, not sure if it's already been said as I don't have time to read through the whole thread, but turn your flash off! Either take photos during the day only, or get an external flash that won't cast harsh shadows like that. Some of them are reasonably priced. Here's a guide I wrote a few years ago that might help you make the most out of low light situations.

Nothing wrong with having the flash on even in daylight. In fact I would say that when in harsh high contrast situations like bright sunlight where the highlight values are too far apart from the shadow details... pop up flash on the camera is your best friend.

No flash in daylight... camera metering will always expose for correct highlight value. Regardless if it's a DSLR on full manual or a point and shoot auto.

Decently exposed highlights... tad under for the in "shade".

Frillneck_zps3577cde6.jpg

Pop up flash on the camera switched on in combination with ambient daylight.

Frillneck2_zpsd4be10c1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back