Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_at_arms

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys no doubt most of you have heard that/had a chance to review the DSE's recently released RIS (Regulatory Impact Statement). It is a utter disappointment that the submissions for new gecko species: Nephrurus wheeleri, Oedura filicipoda, Saltuarius cornutus and Carphodactylus laevis have all but been dismissed. Is there anything we as a reptile keeping community can do? Would a petition (with significant numbers) to the Minister for Environment help sway the decisions made? I realise we have limited time (Friday May 3rd) to do something, but I feel if we do not express our disdain for the current decision we may have to wait much longer before any changes will be made. Reading through the assessment process I cannot see any reason that these submissions have not be approved, as the geckos in questions are of a Genus that already have species on the current schedule(with the exception of Carphodactylus laevis). CAN WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

Keeping and Trading Wildlife in Victoria

I think this will affect gecko keepers on a national level. If these species were to be added it would increase the numbers in captivity and allow for keepers from other states to increase the stock numbers they have with the confidence that there will be a greater market available for them.

Last edited:
A petition will do nothing, The minister is advised by the department which in turn has an advisory committee that is made up of industry representitives. It seems that the recomendations that the committee puts forward are being dismissed by someone higher up in DSE!

As an example, The reason that Wheeleri was not allowed is the deparment in WA when asked by the Vic DSE was worried about poaching of them to forfill the market!

Last edited:
When was the last time a government department took well respected advice and did the smart thing?

A petition will do nothing, The minister is advised by the department which in turn has an advisory committee that is made up of industry representitives. It seems that the recomendations that the committee puts forward are being dismissed by someone higher up in DSE!

As an example, The reason that Wheeleri was not allowed is the deparment in WA when asked by the Vic DSE was worried about poaching of them to forfill the market!

Remind me where Varanus caudolineatus are endemic to and who breeds them in the eastern states again?

I am most impressed at the addition of a Dingo license. I. for many years, have wanted the ability to own and breed Dingoes from a populous rehabilitation perspective. I'm very much a canine lover as well as a reptile lover and would hate to see this lovely native wild species disappear.

Looks like I've got some building to do in the near future!

Apparently all additions for geckos were dismissed due to supposed pressure on wild populations from illegal collecting. Bit of a joke but not much we can do apparently. The DSE no longer want to continue with species additions as they believe that they have wasted to much time on it, or in other words they just don't give a damn.

According to the RIS there is nearly 12 000 current wildlife licence holders in Victoria.
I think we deserve some sort of explanation as to how these decisions on new admissions were made.

According to the RIS....

Diamond Python Morelia spilota spilota

Centralian Carpet Python Morelia spilota "chenei"

Top End Carpet Python Morelia spilota "imbricate"

Eastern Carpet Python Morelia spilota mcdowelli

Jungle Carpet python

Murray Darling Carpet Python Morelia spilota metcalfei

Western Carpet Python Morelia spilota variegata

​Seven common names but six scientific nomenclature (well four real ones). Possibly proof read hey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back