putting the MENTAL into environmental

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COnsidering the federal government probably stumped up half the cash to purchase this as a national park, I don't think they should be allowed to open it up for logging. It's very disappointing, but really not all that unexpected.

COnsidering the federal government probably stumped up half the cash to purchase this as a national park, I don't think they should be allowed to open it up for logging. It's very disappointing, but really not all that unexpected.

Won't be long before we can have the Federal government doing the same thing........

Tony Abbotts speech to the Institute of Public affairs almost 2 weeks ago

"You had a great deal of advice for me in that particular issue and I want to assure you that the Coalition will indeed repeal the carbon tax, abolish the Department of Climate Change, abolish the Clean Energy Fund. We will repeal Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, at least in its current form. We will abolish new health and environmental bureaucracies. We will deliver $1 billion in red tape savings every year. We will develop northern Australia. We will repeal the mining tax. We will create a one stop shop for environmental approvals. We will privatise Medibank Private. We will trim the public service and we will stop throwing good money after bad on the NBN."

Some of the 75 specific policies they presented him with were quite scary,

"6 Repeal the renewable energy target

10 Withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol

21 End all corporate welfare and subsidies by closing the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education

42 Introduce a special economic zone in the north of Australia including:
a) Lower personal income tax for residents
b) Significantly expanded 457 Visa programs for workers
c) Encourage the construction of dams

44 Devolve environmental approvals for major projects to the states

72 Privatise the CSIRO

75 Privatise the Snowy-Hydro Scheme

For anyone interested

Address to Institute of Public Affairs 70th Anniversary Dinner, Melbourne > Tony Abbott
and
Be like Gough: 75 radical ideas to transform Australia | Institute of Public Affairs Australia

He must be from Kansas, the state trying to outlaw sustainability.

That address to the IPA should be required reading for all Australians. I was surprised there was very little press coverage of it.

Logging in national parks... I still can't get my head around this as a reality in 2013. Not to mention the Victorian government's plans for hotels and assorted developments in the parks down here.

Trash the funding over decades and then say that the only way to adequately fund them is via this barbarism. I shudder to think of what will remain of our biodiversity by the end of Abbott's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back