Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost as frustrating as newbies with no research skills are the cocky, not always but usually male, 3 month -2 year keepers that give bad information but wont be told their wrong because they know everything. Anyone who has been keeping more than 10 years has antiquated husbandry techniques, and they have lots of reptiles and some have bred so they must know what they're doing. The problem with these dangerous individuals is they appeal to the newbies that want a certain answer, even if it is the wrong one. Apparently, all of us pre 93 keepers are useless and we kill all our animals, I was told by one of these cocky little know-it-alls. Seems to me one big difference between older keepers and these particular individuals is we admit we don't know everything where as they don't seem to be able to.

i agree i have seen newbies flamed for asking basic questions and sometimes not so basic questions.

we all need to remember we all were newbies once. and just because a person has only been here a few months or a year does not mean they are a newbie, they may have over 20 years experince in the hobby but never joined as reptile sites didn't exist wen they first started and by the time it did they saw no need to join but then decide to join and get treated like they know nothing.

also alot of these newbies are kids, and kids ask very basic questions and are generally annoying. some kids are ok but there are a few that have posted over 50 basic questions that does drive me nuts, then don't take your advise, then start another post that their pet is sick.

but it gets me thinking, if ALL breeders handed out care sheets or offered advise with out waiting for the buyer to ask then 90% of these annoying newbies would not be here asking these questions.

maybe wen a newbie joins they can get link to a page were there are care sheets for every species and asked to read about the species they keep or wanna keep (inboxed to them, as most don't search for answers), so it helps them and stops the oldies from getting there nickers in a knot.

At least you are realistic Mitch, I think if most new people came on this site when they first have the idea of getting a snake and read some posts for a month they would see what responses they may get and learn a lot before they get the animal. What seems to happen though is people will get a snake then figure out that even though they have done one day of research on the net they do not know everything and run to the forum to get answers, even though at this point it is the best thing to do for the health of the reptile is annoys quite a few members. I also think that when people have a bad day this emotion is carried across to the forum and can effect either what response they give or how they receive responses, right or wrong this is forum life.

Almost as frustrating as newbies with no research skills are the cocky, not always but usually male, 3 month -2 year keepers that give bad information but wont be told their wrong because they know everything. Anyone who has been keeping more than 10 years has antiquated husbandry techniques, and they have lots of reptiles and some have bred so they must know what they're doing. The problem with these dangerous individuals is they appeal to the newbies that want a certain answer, even if it is the wrong one. Apparently, all of us pre 93 keepers are useless and we kill all our animals, I was told by one of these cocky little know-it-alls. Seems to me one big difference between older keepers and these particular individuals is we admit we don't know everything where as they don't seem to be able to.

i agree with that. my age 22 and lower especially are good for this. most of them are arrogant and wont be corrected because wikipedia told them and all fail incredibly when faced with a heated argument that actually requires knowledge. i have debates with friends frequently that tell me things like "why don't you feed your snake in a feeding tub. its SCIENTIFICALLY proven that it makes them less agressive when in their living enclosure" i usually end up just letting them think they're right as they wont back down from their point despite not being interested in reptiles let alone owning any.

i agree i have seen newbies flamed for asking basic questions and sometimes not so basic questions.

we all need to remember we all were newbies once. and just because a person has only been here a few months or a year does not mean they are a newbie, they may have over 20 years experince in the hobby but never joined as reptile sites didn't exist wen they first started and by the time it did they saw no need to join but then decide to join and get treated like they know nothing.

obviously the experience level of an enthusiast is based on the number of posts you have. the more posts you have the more you know about everything. :rolleyes:

i recently read a thread from a user that has been here 10 years and had a very small post count. and i dare say that if you searched their posts you would find a lot to be extremely useful rather then a flood of chitchat. some members are more active in the social side of things here, which don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're posts are all garbage by any means, but a social poster can have thousands of posts whereas someone who lurks for a chance to have a really insightful meaningful post will have far less. so to a newbie, especially the younger ones (12-15) someone who has fewer posts can seem less knowledgeable. ive noticed this not so much on this forum but on other non-herp forums that post count seems to be heavily regarded as knowledge by newbies.

Ok here's my rant.

i am a newbie and chances are I was a bit stupid when I joined. Not so much dumb questions as I had done 4 yrs research and lurking the forum. I got my snake in January this year.

the things tha annoy me are the very very basic questions that really make you grind your teeth to try resist flaming. Poo question, feed questions, snappy snake threads, what to name my beardie threads etc etc. the repetition of these questions is outrageous. More than once I have seen 2 threads existing at the same time with identical dumb questions.

I also hate newbies who are setting up an enclosure for their snake and ask questions then decide either not to follow advice and come back later saying my enclosure seems a bit cold. Or they make the thead asking about the enclosure and then decide to be cheap skates and buy cheap things that fail to help the snake despite multiple replies saying you really shouldn't use glass or don't use a heatrock or don't cage a light coz it costs a few bucks. Etc etc.

i must admit there are a hell of a lot of extremely kind, honest, and VERY helpful members of whom I have gained a wealth of knowledge. Eg) jamie, blue, vixen, JAX, eipper, geckojosh blah blah blah there are way too many to name! But yes there are some seriously cruel and insulting people on here. I'll admit I have seen a few well regarded people flame others but many I see as understandable. What annoys me is when people are flamed by members who I have seen enough comments to work out they are keen on flaming others maybe to feel good or because they think they know everything.

I have received the occasional flaming and some maybe rightly so nd sometimes I'll admit I have flamed people particularly one 12yr old who many know ;) what made me most annoyed was one particular occasion where I received multiple very unfair comments which were worse than any I have received yet and were quite hurtful tbh. When I asked why he was wasting his time making stupid comments while others were helpful he replied "I care about post count" what? That annoyed me.

Rant over. There are 2 types of newbies IMO. Those who want to learn prior to getting a reptile and are keen for knowledge but make mistakes both online and while keeping. Then there's those who are lazy and rely on others to do the work for them and possibly want a 'cool pet'. And want to take the cheap easy way out to give their pet average living conditions. Blah blah blah.

BP

i am a newbie just got 1st carpet python 3 months ago
but i have read alot of book on keeping herpitiles ,the prob is a majority of em is from the yanks so all of my ? are about the law here in aus
and i think if every 1 read more there would be no probs , and i think reading 3 books gives you 3 life times of hands on experience

whats a book?
no but seriosly im a newb ,read alot of book so the only ? i ask is about the law in aus ,but i think reading 3 books give you 3 life times of hands on exp

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty much one myself as u all know. I have seen a few comments directed at newbies that makes me feel :( people are simply trying to learn more and share their experience and love of reptiles. Also some newbies have loved reptiles all their life! however didn't get their 1st until now....doesn't make them any less worthy of being a member on here. Please don't be mean, everyone has to start somewhere :| make love not war.

I just love newbies:D.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

what to name my beardie theads etc etc.

BP

This is the only bit I disagree with. Name threads and other general chat threads are different as its the social side of the forum as opposed to the research and information side. There has to be balance of both areas and that's what the chit chat section is for. Post what ever you want there, I couldn't give a rats, its the other areas like herp help that newbies flood with the same stuff that gets old quick.

Would you agree or you just hate naming beardies haha :)

whats a book?
no but seriosly im a newb ,read alot of book so the only ? i ask is about the law in aus ,but i think reading 3 books give you 3 life times of hands on exp

You just said that. And I wouldn't call reading hands on experience. But extremely good information by very experienced keepers/breeders/herpetologists.

This is the only bit I disagree with. Name threads and other general chat threads are different as its the social side of the forum as opposed to the research and information side. There has to be balance of both areas and that's what the chit chat section is for. Post what ever you want there, I couldn't give a rats, its the other areas like herp help that newbies flood with the same stuff that gets old quick.

Would you agree or you just hate naming beardies haha :)

Haha yes very true. It's different but often they put it in aussie lizards or general reptile discussion. Maybe I just get annoyed at the repetition :p

obviously the experience level of an enthusiast is based on the number of posts you have. the more posts you have the more you know about everything. :rolleyes:

i recently read a thread from a user that has been here 10 years and had a very small post count. and i dare say that if you searched their posts you would find a lot to be extremely useful rather then a flood of chitchat. some members are more active in the social side of things here, which don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're posts are all garbage by any means, but a social poster can have thousands of posts whereas someone who lurks for a chance to have a really insightful meaningful post will have far less. so to a newbie, especially the younger ones (12-15) someone who has fewer posts can seem less knowledgeable. ive noticed this not so much on this forum but on other non-herp forums that post count seems to be heavily regarded as knowledge by newbies.

some do think its based on how many posts they have. yeah i have seen some people on here who have been on here for years and barley post but wen they do its full of great info.

I'm always drunk.... That's y I get infractions.... Cause I wake up and go....ohhhh noooo I did it again lol

Dam I can't even comment on that with drink in hand

just a question jamie,how would you propose newbies to get a link with an experienced keeper?? yeh there might be a lot of experienced ppl out there,but most if not all,wont let you near their place let alone give you info and help..... the reptile world is a place of hush hush and secrecy,thats what ive observed anyway....my reptile gathering was started on a whim,bought in a carpark sale,cause "god forbid" i might see what they had,let alone get information out of them.

I take your point jacorin, but as others have said, local herp groups are a good source of contact for both social reasons and access to advice & expertise. Most regions have a group which is likely to meet fairly regularly, so it's worth the effort to get there if you can. Admittedly difficult if you're a 12yo and your parents can't be bothered driving you there though. I do have a big problem with the recent introduction of reptile sales in shops in NSW because it removes the breeder even further from the buyer, and many pet shops will be in it (quite reasonably) for the money, but as a result will propagate incorrect info just to boost sales (especially of useless extra junk). But I don't think dogs and cats should be sold in petshops either... they just provide a sales platform for disgusting puppy farms...

I've seen quite a few requests for info on APS which I've answered with my contact details if I think I can help out in some way, and I'm sure there are other experienced people out there who enjoy mentoring others where appropriate.

In an earlier life, I was a professional taxidermist at a state museum - and this work in many ways is similar to reptile keeping, you never know it all, and people are always coming up with new info and different (occasionally better) ways of doing things. I like passing info on, because I'm always learning myself, and if I'm open to helping people, then in many cases others are open to helping me. Even a sharp newby can sometimes offer me help or info that I hadn't thought of, so it goes both ways. Not always, but often I get back in spades much more than I've been able to give. But sharp newbies are always actively seeking out information from any source, and you can tell who they are just from reading their posts here. The question of the hissing carpet python is a prime example of someone who has acquired a live animal without any forethought whatsoever, the animal has done something quite normal for that creature, but the new, totally unprepared owner is now afraid of it and doesn't know what to do... Suddenly the animal is in control - not a good scenario for a long-term relationship with any creature.

All I'm saying is learn about your charges, all the potential scenarios, BEFORE you get the critter. Successful reptile keeping is more than just a rote-learned, formulaic activity, and it requires a lot more intuition than keeping dogs and cats. But there is so much info out there, both good and drastically bad (thanks internet!), actively do your research yourself, in advance of getting your animal, and if you have doubts or further questions, then ask them here, but do so with some semblance of understanding of what you are taking on. That way you won't look stupid, and you won't draw attention to yourself as the kind of newbie that people love to hate.

Jamie

hey jamie,i belong to SOFAR club,meetings may go for an hr,more often less,and basically as soon as the meetings finished,everyone splits,so you dont have much chance to talk to others as you'd like.Thats if i can get out to it lolol... ive had my snakes for for 4yrs now,started with a stimmie off wokka,won a woma in a ballot(never thought that would happen as i was only new to reptiles),now have a coastal,and only bought it because my missus's friend was being posted to Afganistan and needed to sell it,just bought 2 darwins and another stimmie.

Right now i'm waiting on Peter Birches book to be delivered,soon i hope. As someone said above,you can research your little freckle out,but if you ask a question to clarify something,you get the "flame on" happening.not always,but more often than not. it was one of the reasons i left here for a cpl of yrs,after watching some other noobs who asked questions and got flamed,i wasnt going to ask,turned me away from here. im still no more advanced in what i know now than then,was always busy with things. now its worse as i work 6 days a week

Chill out jacorin. Not once did i accuse you of being rude or aggressive.

hey brodie,its kool mate,it was just the way i read it i spose..... my appologies

shane

No worries at all, you seem like a good bloke.

Brodie

Right now i'm waiting on Peter Birches book to be delivered,soon i hope. As someone said above,you can research your little freckle out,but if you ask a question to clarify something,you get the "flame on" happening

I think alot of that comes down to the wording of the Newbs post too. Some people just have the ability to come across as arrogant know it alls, from their first post. Others come across as just wanting a snake for the COOL factor. Others you can tell are genuine, and checking what they have read.

My biggest pet hate it is that there is no one way that will work for everyone, but certain people seem to think there is only their way or the highway and that gives me the poos. there are many different ways that work for many different people and we all need to keep that in mind. As long as your basic husbandry is right then most other things are to the individual.

I remember when I was new I posted asking about Ball pythons as I had seen lots of adds for them, I knew they were illegal, but forgot to mention that and boy did I get flamed. The same happened where there was a newsbot thread about a biker that had been raided and they had found illegal exotics and everyone got on the "bikers are all bad platform" and I disagreed, I was very promptly flamed. Now I think a little more carefully before I post (either a new thread or a comment,)

Some of the people that have flamed me in the past i now seek out their advice!

im look like a nice bloke??? :O :O :O well i spose that depends who you talk to lolol just ask FAY(mod) about me hahaha

Last edited:
I'm certainly no reptile expert and i have made a few mistakes on my reptile keeping journey. None that have done serious harm to my animals but mistakes all the same, i have learned from them and I have found this forum to be extremely helpful in improving my knowledge. I don't have a problem with newbies asking questions, but i can understand the frustration some people sometime exhibit in their replies.
Even for a new reptile keeper, i don't think the why won't my (insert species) feed is an acceptable question, especially when they have had the animal 1 week. Reptiles especially snakes are opportunistic feeders and 1,2,3 weeks not feeding should not be an issue to anyone who has done some studying of their new pet, and spoken to whom they purchased it off (Unless of course you see obvious signs of distress or malnutrition). This should just be basic knowledge, you don't have to have owned snakes for 20 years to know that.
And the one thread that deserves every bit of witty, sarcastic and at times caustic rhetoric is the 'Can i own xx exotic in Australia'. Really if you can't read your licence to figure that out, herp keeping is not for you.

I think alot of that comes down to the wording of the Newbs post too. Some people just have the ability to come across as arrogant know it alls, from their first post. Others come across as just wanting a snake for the COOL factor. Others you can tell are genuine, and checking what they have read.

My biggest pet hate it is that there is no one way that will work for everyone, but certain people seem to think there is only their way or the highway and that gives me the poos. there are many different ways that work for many different people and we all need to keep that in mind. As long as your basic husbandry is right then most other things are to the individual.

I remember when I was new I posted asking about Ball pythons as I had seen lots of adds for them, I knew they were illegal, but forgot to mention that and boy did I get flamed. The same happened where there was a newsbot thread about a biker that had been raided and they had found illegal exotics and everyone got on the "bikers are all bad platform" and I disagreed, I was very promptly flamed. Now I think a little more carefully before I post (either a new thread or a comment,)

Some of the people that have flamed me in the past i now seek out their advice!
lol funny u say that sezzzzzzzzz I remember I got flamed for mentioning my boys lizard hunting for skinks lol I was unaware that was a big no no. I thought it was harmless fun! part of growing up .....but ive since learnt that its a not. They now just look :rolleyes:

lol funny u say that sezzzzzzzzz I remember I got flamed for mentioning my boys lizard hunting for skinks lol I was unaware that was a big no no. I thought it was harmless fun! part of growing up .....but ive since learnt that its a not. They now just look :rolleyes:
I would imagine a lot of herpers on here caught lizards and snakes when they were kids before they knew it was wrong. I know for a fact that as a kid I caught and kept garden skinks , EWD's , turtles and even a couple of GTS. I would not keep them for long and looking back didn't keep them in the right conditions but back then there was no internet and I didn't know any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back