Which method do you adhere to?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
My first hatchling comes home in a few days so I have watched numerous videos on handling new snakes. I have also talked to some people who have snakes of their own. By no means are they experts but they suggested other ways.

Some videos prescribe dominating the hatchling by putting your hand over it and basically using an "I'm the boss method" This was used both while in the hand and also while picking the hatchling up out of the container.

Other videos say the hold the hatchling on a hook and let it come on to you while you hold your hand below it.

Yet others say to agitate the snake and let it bite you. It will then realise that biting does nothing and settle down.

I know I need to wait a week for the snake to settle in but when the torturous week of no looking goes by I would like to know how to approach the snake.

ALSO. A silly question but the snake is getting sent via AAE to me. What does it come in? If it is a container do I just open the container and put it in the enclosure? Or do I get the snake out? If it is in some type of bag, once again do I get it out or just open the bag and let it come out in it's own time.

Sorry about the dumbass questions.

Hmmm. Any or all of the suggestions you make about getting it out of its travel box are OK. It's up to you.

As far as picking it up, just put your hand in and gently pick the damned thing up and let it rest on your hands. If it reacts defensively and strikes, that's just what happens. Don't "dominate" it with your hand - that's plain ridiculous and will just stress the animal and provoke a panic response, and don't agitate it - why on earth would you want to do that? Why would you want to agitate a snake which may very well be calm and relaxed at your first meeting.

You've been watching too much crap.

Jamie

Hahahahaaaaaaa
Yes I have.
The trouble though is all the crap seems reasonable when they explain it!!
I would link to the couple of youtube clips that in particular made me raise my eyebrows but I don't know if I'm allowed.

Okay, first of all that 4th method is absolute rubbish! You should never agitate the snake. NEVER! This can stress out the snake resulting in all types of problems. A relationship between pythona nd owner should be a good one, not resulting in a fearful snake that is afraid or agiated by your hand.
I also would not use the "I'm the boss method". You do not want to make the snake feel uncomfortable. The only one I would go with is the hook method, but I have never had to get any of my snakes out by hooks.

The best way to pick up the snake (for both you and the python) is to gently 'scoop' it up from under the belly with your hand. Nice and gentle. You don't want to look like a threat. Then all you do is just let the little fella slither inbetween your fingers, over your hands, etc :)

If it is being sent via AAE you are required to pick it up at the airport. Yes, it will be in a container or in a container in a pillow case type of thing. Just take him/her out and put him/her in the enclosure and let her settle in for a week. You can try feeding after 3-7 days. (I usually feed my new snakes 3days after they have settled in.)

Welcome tho the hobby! (No stupid questions, it is better to ask then to cause harm to your scaley friends!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahaaaaaaa
Yes I have.
The trouble though is all the crap seems reasonable when they explain it!!
I would link to the couple of youtube clips that in particular made me raise my eyebrows but I don't know if I'm allowed.

No Don't!!! There's enough eyebrow-raising stuff originating here already without adding more that new keepers will take as gospel!

If you have any concerns or queries, feel free to PM me...

Jamie

You are allowed to link youtube clips :) Although I wouldn't link those

Thank you all so much.
I was hoping the answer would be to treat the hatchling with care and respect not to rile it up.
You have all made me happy.

One more question.
Don't annoy it for the first week...
No looking, opening container etc etc
I do put it in the normal room it will be kept in though so that it gets used to people walking past?
Or do I hide it away in a room where nobody visits and then later on move it out to the high flow area.

Gentle soft actions and movements have worked for us......If you give the snake no reason to suspect you may hurt it, it will become confident in your presence. We have 4 snakes (albeit one was an adult when we got it) and have no issues with snakes wanting to snap at us, and never had any biting (at all) from them other than our Jungle which 'tagged' 3 times on its first handling session and has been an angel since. Other than the adult, all our snakes were young hatchy's when they entered our home. We firmly believe that gently handling and sound husbandry were the primary factors in their good temperaments.

Why anybody would want to 'show the snake who is the boss' or deliberately agitate it is beyond me - They are a wild creature and form their reaction based on their experience and comfort level in their surrounding. If you give them no reason to suspect you may hurt them they usually won't.

The gentle approach has worked very well for us. Welcome aboard and I hope your reptile experiences are all good ones :)

use a hook and let the snake go two you. i know the video your talking about about holding your hand below the snake. start there its a good video

You don't need to totally isolate the animal - presumeably it is captive bred and will have had quite a bit of activity with the breeder. As long as your accommodation is fine and the temps are good, a healthy hatchy will normally eat withing a day or two. I would have no trouble trying to carefully (and briefly) handle it before you place it in its container, and then every day or two after that, but not just before of for a couple of days after a feed. Handling before feeding may stress it.

Jamie

Thank you all so much.
I was hoping the answer would be to treat the hatchling with care and respect not to rile it up.
You have all made me happy.

One more question.
Don't annoy it for the first week...
No looking, opening container etc etc
I do put it in the normal room it will be kept in though so that it gets used to people walking past?
Or do I hide it away in a room where nobody visits and then later on move it out to the high flow area.

Personally I wouldn't touch the snake for at least a month... or at least after it has had a few solid feeds in your care. Stressed snakes tend to stop eating...

If it's in a high tracffic area but not "defensive" while in it's enclosure then it's fine there. If is striking at shadows... I would move it to a quiter place.

My suggestion is use a hook to pick it up then place it on your hand I found that the best way

Gentle soft actions and movements have worked for us......If you give the snake no reason to suspect you may hurt it, it will become confident in your presence. We have 4 snakes (albeit one was an adult when we got it) and have no issues with snakes wanting to snap at us, and never had any biting (at all) from them other than our Jungle which 'tagged' 3 times on its first handling session and has been an angel since. Other than the adult, all our snakes were young hatchy's when they entered our home. We firmly believe that gently handling and sound husbandry were the primary factors in their good temperaments.

Why anybody would want to 'show the snake who is the boss' or deliberately agitate it is beyond me - They are a wild creature and form their reaction based on their experience and comfort level in their surrounding. If you give them no reason to suspect you may hurt them they usually won't.

The gentle approach has worked very well for us. Welcome aboard and I hope your reptile experiences are all good ones :)

LOL, I've seen your Bredli ;)

I've had my hatchling Murray Darling for about 6
weeks now, initially I let him settle in for a week then fed him and left him be for another 3 days then began handling him. I started off by using a small hook to get him out and waiting for him to come to me, now sometimes he will come to me as soon as I open the enclosure once he picks up my scent, other times I use the hook but he never stays on the hook long once he has a few flicks of his tongue.
I've found the hook to be best as my little one is a very strong feeder and would imagine him to easily mistake my finger as food if I shoved my hand in his face :)

Oh he is also in my living room which has a fair bit of traffic and have had no problems :)

I think the words "adhere to" are probably significant here - there are no hard and fast rules, so few experienced people "adhere" to any particular management techniques - they do what seem best in each individual situation, because each animal is different.

Many captive bred snakes are quite cool with handling from day 1, but this may be in the experienced hands. Animals have a knack of sensing nervousness or indecision, so it may help if you have someone experienced living nearby who can show you the ropes.

Not handling for a month is probably taking it to extremes - every two or three days for a few minutes only should be fine, and don't do it for 24 hours before feeding attempts are made. As I said, these are captive bred critters and should be habituated to handling to some degree before you get them.

Jamie

From my experience, gently hooking the hatchling 1/3 way down the body works very well, and then gently lift the snake onto your hand... Don't restrict the little fellas ability to move freely and agitating it is more likely than not, going to turn the little guy into a fearful, defensive snake...

Wow.
I am feeling very privileged to be part of such a community,
As a newbie I can see no evidence of the newbie attacks which I have read about in other threads.

Thanks again.

I feel I am now even more prepared for my little wheatbelt to arrive.

Wow.
I am feeling very privileged to be part of such a community,
As a newbie I can see no evidence of the newbie attacks which I have read about in other threads.

Thanks again.

I feel I am now even more prepared for my little wheatbelt to arrive.

Ha... don't worry, they do happen :)! I'm sure you won't have to wait long... the worst thing a newbie can do is ask for advice and then reject it because they think they know better - happened just a day or two ago here actually... But generally if the enquirer is reasonable, and has done a bit of background work, they will get a good response here...

Unless I've been on the red wine of course :)...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back