What would you do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PieBald

Reaction score
So I just watched a video on youtube of someone who has an asian house gecko. If it is legal to keep it, he will. If it isnt he will get it healthy and release it into the wild again.
What would you do. If people want I can PM you the video but is it right to be keeping an asian house gecko and possibly even releasing it once its healthy?

ahg are a pest thousands of them maybe put it down humanely and use it for scenting..

Last edited:
I guess one will not make a difference in the big scheme of things but it is illegal. I think there was a similar discussion a little while back about a non-native bird being nursed to health and released, the big difference is that the asian gecko is a pest.

It's a bit like keeping a German cockroach as a pet.

It's all good until someone finds out :)

Andy, I wouldn't dream of killing the asian geckos here. They are not competing with the natives ( I live on the top floor in Darwin CBD) and they despatch the mozzies with style and grace. Where the native geckoes are they aren't! If I thought for a minute that big juicy Velvet geckoes would move in they would be out in a flash. But that's not the case.

I have heaps around here and i think of them as little helpers lol they help with the mozzies and roaches....and i kinda like that annoying little sound they make at night :p my boys have had pet ones (or more visitors) they would keep them for a bit and then let them go.

It's a bit like keeping a German cockroach as a pet.

It's all good until someone finds out :)

Andy, I wouldn't dream of killing the asian geckos here. They are not competing with the natives ( I live on the top floor in Darwin CBD) and they despatch the mozzies with style and grace. Where the native geckoes are they aren't! If I thought for a minute that big juicy Velvet geckoes would move in they would be out in a flash. But that's not the case.
It looks like they have replaced the native gecko around there some time ago. "Anecdotal evidencesuggests that H. frenatus is outcompeting and displacing O. rhombifer, as well as G. dubia, inurban habitats of Darwin (Keim, 2002). "

i've seen the video as i subscribe to the both of you on youtube. I have heaps of them around my house and natives also (but yeah, more of the ahg than natives) and it's like catching the standard skinks etc that are in the yard. It's illegal to keep it but heaps of people, including many children, do. Good way for the youngen's to learn a bit about reptiles too.

What would i do? Sweet FA. Whether it's in a container or in the yard doesn't make much difference really.

I totally agree with you, but its hard not to when someone posts a youtube video about it.

He's keeping a gecko that many kids probably catch and keep, doesn't sound like he's abusing animals or releasing exotics, I'd just leave it be.

I'd do exactly what I do when I see exotics for sale on Gumtree, or see someone crossing against the lights, or someone parked in a loading zone. Nothing. Absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back