Coastal carpet in Aviary ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rohdawg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I live in maitland in the hunter valley and was wondering if this region would be fine to keep my coastal in a large Avairy ? Some info or advice if anyone's doing it would be appreciated :)

Thank you :) gives me an excuse for another snake lol , just out of interest my girlfriend lives about a hour away On a very secluded piece of land at milbradale at the start of the putty road and the summer just gone I managed to catch a 6 ft coastal and one around three foot that's wat sparked the question

Thank you :) gives me an excuse for another snake lol , just out of interest my girlfriend lives about a hour away On a very secluded piece of land at milbradale at the start of the putty road and the summer just gone I managed to catch a 6 ft coastal and one around three foot that's wat sparked the question

I'm sure the snake you are talking about housing however, is one purchased from a breeder and attached to your relevant license.

As it is completely illegal to capture and keep reptiles you have found in the wild.

No I of course I didn't keep the ones I caught I looked at them and released them again, I have a 5 month old caramel coastal that I bought from a breeder,I only asked the question because I wanted too know if I could keep her in a large Avairy once she gets a good size

if they in the wild,in our area Rohdawg,i cant see why you cant keep it in an aviary...

Just because they are wild in the area doesn't really indicate if that is the best possible conditions for them. The fact that they can survive, doesn't mean they should have to. As the animal is kept captive under your ownership, I personally believe you should offer the best possible care and not simply 'survivable' conditions.

Yes you CAN keep a coastal in an aviary, the same way you can keep any snake in an aviary. That doesn't really mean that you should.

Take dogs for example, they can survive outdoors in the freezing cold weather without a kennel however, it's obvious that it's not a preferable way to live.

then why only diamonds in an aviary??? bit of a contradiction there me thinks

Diamond pythons have a much higher tolerance to the cold than any of the other Morelia Spilota subspecies (NSW, VIC).

How big is the aviary? For a 5 month year old coastal id be keeping it inside for quite a long time! IMO i would put a snake in an Avairy in the cold until there were about 7-8foot long. Just easier and safier to keep it inside at least it cant get too cold but thats my opinion and everybody is differnet hey? :L
Tristan

Just because they are wild in the area doesn't really indicate if that is the best possible conditions for them. The fact that they can survive, doesn't mean they should have to. As the animal is kept captive under your ownership, I personally believe you should offer the best possible care and not simply 'survivable' conditions.

Yes you CAN keep a coastal in an aviary, the same way you can keep any snake in an aviary. That doesn't really mean that you should.

Take dogs for example, they can survive outdoors in the freezing cold weather without a kennel however, it's obvious that it's not a preferable way to live.

This makes absolute no reasonable sense.

Rohdawg, check out these two links. The important issues are mean max and min temperature and humidity. If they are vastly different (not within 2-3 degrees for both and humidity varies by more than 10-15% I wouldn't suggest it. Coastals can be found further down then Coffs but it's often considered the integade zone between coastals and diamonds. I can confidently say that it would be fine over the warmer months (so you probably have 4-6 months where it would be fine, given it was close to adult size).

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Last edited:
This makes absolute no reasonable sense.

Care to elaborate on why this make no reasonable sense? I am genuinely interested on how you came to that conclusion. The person lives in Maitland, 5 hours down from Coffs which you yourself said is the intergrade zone between coastals and diamonds.

Being 'kept' in an aviary indicates that the animal would be living outdoors for more than 4-5 months of the year. To provide the optimum temperatures at all times of the year, you would house a coastal inside. I don't see how that is illogical.

I think everyone needs too chill out lol there's no way I'm gonna put her outside at this age and after the opinions on here I probably never will , I really just wanted to create a awesome environment for her and a potential partner and I thought avairys would be the best coz of there size and it's outside

If a population of animals is found naturally in an area it is because conditions are suitable for it to live, breed and thrive. Otherwise they would not be found there, saying that these conditions replicated in captivity are unsuitable for all snakes of that species is incorrect. I wouldn't suggest placing younger specimens outside to weather the element's even in there natural environment because they are more fragile but adults on the other hand are fine - they are very well adapted hence remaining unchanged for so long. I'm not commented on the location being suitable or not, I'm really not familar with either area but while I said the Intergrade area is often considered at Coffs Harbour, it continues down south for a decent distance - how far I wouldnt know. Many people "keep" reptiles outside for only certain periods of the year.

I think what these peeps are saying, and correct me if I'm wrong! Is that even though coastals live in your area it may be impractical to keep it in an avery because it may not be able to thermoregulate it's body temperature properly as it would be able to in the wild. I have a bermating diamond at the moment and temps are dropping to about 7 deg at night here but I still wouldn't place him outside even tho he could handle it.

Yeah i fully understand and I'm not gonna get a Avairy I'm gonna save that Idea for when I get a diamond it actually suprised me that I found coastals on the property (it's ideal habitat ) just out of their range or so I thought , I haven't seen a diamond on my searches there yet but the girlfriend has a picture of at least a 8ft one crossing there driveway after a huge feed that was before I was with her so I missed out :( lol

You didn`t get a picture of these coastals by any chance did you? I live on the outskirts of Newcastle and my wifes uncle grew up on a farm right where we live and swears there used to be "carpet" pythons in the bush only a km or two from our house. By carpet pythons I believe he meant coastals because he looked at my diamonds and said that's not what they looked like.

Last edited by a moderator:
People need to bare in mind that just because a species isnative to an area doesn't mean outdoor housing is a good idea. In the wild they have all of outdoors to thermo regulate. They have warm rocks, trees, patches of sun during the day and warm holes, logs and small warm crevices at night. If an aviery is not set up correctly they have some sun, shade and a bunch of hot metal sitting in the sun during the day and a cold hide and icy cold sheet metal at night

I got pics but they are on the Missus camera at hers as for the snakes they seemed a bit lighter in colour IMO and very robust , the terrain is VERY Mountainous with deep valleys that have creeks running down there middle and it's very dense bush it's a perfect habitat plus her dads a scrappy so there are piles of old cars and metal that back onto the mountains and I have never seen more brown snakes and red bellies in one spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back