Facebook and venomous snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is it only me or are there far too many Aussie ven keepers being bitten lately and virtually bragging about it on facebook?

Comments like its only a red bellied black?
or even its only a baby death adder?

I wonder how many of those keepers have any idea of how serious any ven bite can be?

Guess you'd need to have a little bit of a danger fetish to own them in the first place. Unless it's purely for research.

no i see only two people lately bitten By red Bellied Blacks on Facebook ,not bragging but sharing there experiences which where particularly bad reactions.

Ive only seen one rbb bite I would consider a reasonably bad reaction reaction with one hand swollen pretty badly
but 3 other rbb bites and 2 deathy dry bites in the past few days
both deathies were hatchies which was very surprising as they were dry

I would be far too embarrassed to admit Id made another mistake to ever put photos like that on facebook

Personally, I wouldn't bother putting up pics of a bite, but as long as it doesn't effect me, who cares what other people do? No doubt some are attention seekers, but others do it because people have a genuine interest in the effects of snakebite and prefer to hear it from people who have experienced it first hand, rather than all the rumours and rubbish you hear all over the net from people who just repeat what they have heard and have no idea.

People are sharing their experiences, and if you read all of the comments on those photos you will see that they have sparked some very interesting discussion (something you rarely see on here anymore). People that work with venom have gotten involved in the discussions and a lot has been learnt by many. It's nice to see that people can share those experiences without getting flamed by people that have no clue.
Would love to see a hatchling death adder.

no i see only two people lately bitten By red Bellied Blacks on Facebook ,not bragging but sharing there experiences which where particularly bad reactions.

yeah if its the same person, he posted about what happened and what he experienced both during the worst and after!

A fella was bitten on a callout, he showed the damage that the bite caused to show people that Red-belly bites shouldn't be taken lightly (that's educational). He then gave updates on how he was progressing after the bite - tissue damage, loss of taste, etc etc. In turn this led to other people coming out of the woodwork and describing their experiences with venomous snake bites - a discussion was had on the loss of taste and how long it had taken for people to return to normal.
The second red-belly bite by the girl was put up to show just how much damage can be caused by red-belly venom. It may have just looked like a bit of swelling but she described a lot of other factors that came with the bite.
It's a learning experience for those that don't know a great deal about elapids, venom toxicity and different peoples reactions to snake bite.

I only skimmed through this thread and don't bother with facebook but a condition these people have to consider is hypersensitivity. All elapid bites have somatic effects which may or may not be obvious initially but can be dramatic for the victim after multiple envenomations. Elapid bites should be avoided at all costs and not seen as a right of passage in the keeping of venomous snakes.

relax about it, people are well aware of the risks involved, i dont belive you run there lives.. and haveing a wingey dissusion on aps isnt going to stop people from getting bitten, its just laughable,
I find venomous snake bites quite interesting and am glad they shared there stories openly.. and whats the harm.. its allowing new keepers the privelage to lern and see just the harm it can cause, i saw no braging in any of the posts.

Is there some facebook community that people on here are a part of that I don't know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back