show us your exotic birds

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 eclectus parrots (2 f, 1 m), a major mitchell, a quaker, a jenday conure, a cinnamon green cheek conure, a princess parrot, a lutino ringneck, 2 lorikeets.....and 5 budgies. All besides the budgies are handraised (mostly by myself) and are all my babies. Love each and everyone of them....all different and all fantastic pets :)

Can u please show us some photo's of ur flock?, I would love to see ur major Mitchell :D

Rio and Wuru havent been weighed in a while but they are not of the Qld large hahn variety LOL, i reckon both weigh between 150 -160grams max. I got my male from a breeder in NSW and my female from Tassie.

Beautiful guys and gals Sarah. Out of curiosity what do your hahns weigh in at? Up in Qld I have seen some large "hahns" that I think have had a bit of noble macaw mixed in with them at some stage. One in particular would be about 170g which is far outside the typical weight range of hahns.

Yours look about the same as Elroy. He is 150ish grams (sometimes slightly more).

Average weight for hahns, depending on your source of info, is around 165grams. 170grams is well within the norm for the species.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Great pic :)

Another one of Elroy. He was "helping" me with a macro shoot.

8930379472_ac77722f5b_b.jpg

Very nice! :D

Average weight for hahns, depending on your source of info, is around 165grams. 170grams is well within the norm for the species.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Hey Steve. I have only ever seen one true hahns weighed at 160g with most that I have seen being 145-155. Nobles (same species, different subspecies) are of coarse a lot larger and hybrids are not uncommon. I suspect when sites say 165 as average they are reffering to 'red shoulder macaws' in general which includes both hahns and the larger subspecies as well as hybrids. i have a paper at home with average weights taken at vets that I based this table off.

Macaw Weight | The Witty Parrot

The larger individual in question also has a much lighter upper mandible than is normal for a hahns ;) That site is only in the development stage and yet to finish the articles/put up the references. ill get them up soon. Sorry to ramble, this stuff interests me greatly!

I love he pics of your birds :) how old are they all? The amazon is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Hey Steve. I have only ever seen one true hahns weighed at 160g with most that I have seen being 145-155. Nobles (same species, different subspecies) are of coarse a lot larger and hybrids are not uncommon. I suspect when sites say 165 as average they are reffering to 'red shoulder macaws' in general which includes both hahns and the larger subspecies as well as hybrids. i have a paper at home with average weights taken at vets that I based this table off.

Macaw Weight | The Witty Parrot

The larger individual in question also has a much lighter upper mandible than is normal for a hahns ;) That site is only in the development stage and yet to finish the articles/put up the references. ill get them up soon. Sorry to ramble, this stuff interests me greatly!

I love he pics of your birds :) how old are they all? The amazon is gorgeous!

Hey Daniel :) I use a table that specifies both sub-species *shrugs* Average Weight of the Different Macaw Species

Not that it really matters I guess given the number of Nobles in Aus. I would normally say that given that number (extremely low) there's little chance of hybridisation but I know better having seen idiots hybridise Militaries simply because they couldn't find a same species mate...... Off subject but related to weights - I have seen an Alex (average for the species in Aus 220grams-ish) that weighed in over 300grams! It was a nice big bird and was directly traceable to the import of the species all those years ago :D

Danny (615grams), the yellow nape, turns 7 in October and Elmo (1200grams) is 3 in December.

Hey Daniel :) I use a table that specifies both sub-species *shrugs* Average Weight of the Different Macaw Species

Not that it really matters I guess given the number of Nobles in Aus. I would normally say that given that number (extremely low) there's little chance of hybridisation but I know better having seen idiots hybridise Militaries simply because they couldn't find a same species mate...... Off subject but related to weights - I have seen an Alex (average for the species in Aus 220grams-ish) that weighed in over 300grams! It was a nice big bird and was directly traceable to the import of the species all those years ago :D

Danny (615grams), the yellow nape, turns 7 in October and Elmo (1200grams) is 3 in December.

Haha too right mate. Always the big/small oddballs out there :) thanks for the link. I might contact them for references and if its good add it to my sources! Not wrong about nobles being rarish in Aus but still around and as you said you can never underestimate the sillyness of people :)

Just got back from N.Z. where the main objective was to see Kea in the wild :) Got a few photos to go through and I will write a story up on the trip but here is a taste :)

9204430662_d718a7eee3_c.jpg

Just got back from N.Z. where the main objective was to see Kea in the wild :) Got a few photos to go through and I will write a story up on the trip but here is a taste :)

9204430662_d718a7eee3_c.jpg

Very challenging subjects for those in countries where they're allowed to be kept in captivity! Too much smarts for your average keeper, making them a behavioural nightmare :) I did a little training with one in the US and he was interesting to try and keep up with!!

Looking forward to your story! :D

My boyfriend got a blue quaker parrot the other day! He's on the forum but doesn't post much

This is my cheeky little quaker named Charlie. Would anyone have advice on getting him to stop his vendetta against my girl friend?
Cheers Cameron

Attachments

• charlie.jpg
    charlie.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 122
Does anyone keep Galahs? They're one of my favourites for personality.

When I did work experience at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary I had to hose out the Black Tailed Cockatoos enclosures and was warned that one of them had a bit of an attitude, and the whole time I was in there he was giving me the evils. A very intimidating animal when they want to be.

Newest member of the family on the left, with the long reigning King on the right (they DO NOT share this or any other cage!)

uploadfromtaptalk1379411136682.jpg

New female, 5 year old Magnificus

uploadfromtaptalk1379411219465.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379411254889.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back