Salt Water Bath.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
I just noticed one of my Green Tree Frogs has some fungal patches on its body & doing some research says to soak it in a 2.5% salt water bath for several minutes to kill the fungi.

I'm just wondering is normal table salt fine?
Or maybe diluted betadine mouthwash?

And considering frogs soak up moisture through their skin, what's the likely hood that the salt may actually be harmful?

I would suggest going to the vet before you self medicate. You may need to get some baytril and they will be able to give you saline solution with electrolytes for baths.

I know they do not recommend using table salt for making a saline solution for human needs because of the additive that is added to stop it from clogging and to make it flow.

I think they recommend rock salt or sea salt but cannot comment on its use for reptiles.

I know they do not recommend using table salt for making a saline solution for human needs because of the additive that is added to stop it from clogging and to make it flow.

I think they recommend rock salt or sea salt but cannot comment on its use for reptiles.
If there is any added ingredients it should have them listed but I think most table salts are only NaCl which is salt.

I would suggest going to the vet before you self medicate. You may need to get some baytril and they will be able to give you saline solution with electrolytes for baths.

The salt water bath is simply mentioned in the latest book of Australian Frogs but doesn't go into too much more detail.

Salt and sugar bath i have heard work, i think its 2.5% each.

Rick

I might try some saline solution from the chemist.
It's Friday arvo now...long weekend ahead, I won't get a chance to see the vet til Tues next week.

Frog seems healthy enough as it's active & eating.

I might try some saline solution from the chemist.
It's Friday arvo now...long weekend ahead, I won't get a chance to see the vet til Tues next week.

Frog seems healthy enough as it's active & eating.
Just check what percentage they are as I have a feeling they might be 0.9%

Yeah it's 0.9% per 100ml.
Is this too strong or too weak in your opinion?

And should I add some sugar too?

If there is any added ingredients it should have them listed but I think most table salts are only NaCl which is salt.

Nearly all table sales have additives....They will clump without them and they should be listed on the packaging.

Iodine was the most common additive....Started as a bit of a craze in the early 1900's in the US to combat iodine deficiencies. If you see table salt labelled as 'Iodised Salt' it has iodine added. It was added for nutritional purposes....not for clumping.

Anti-clumping or anti-caking agents are in nearly all table salts ....Calcium aluminium silicate is common and is listed on the packaging as 'Anti-Caking Agent 556', another is sodium aluminosilicate which is listed as 'Anti-Caking Agent 554'

Don't know their impacts on reps, although there is a lot of noise being made in certain circles that these additives are not good for humans......Don't know enough about them to have an opinion one way or another. They haven't killed me yet.....but they might be doing it slowly.....:D

The book did state a 2.5% mix so I'm assuming 0.9% will be fine.

Every table salt has added "iodine" (I think). But it definatly does have an added ingredient, so in my fish tank I just use rock salt...

Most have anti caking agent added, typically Sodium Aluminosilicate usually disguised as additive 554
Yeah I see that above. I have only looked at our salt that we use and it is rock salt.

If a book suggests a 2.5% mix, trying a 0.9% mix could be wasting your time. Just saying...

Understand.
But like I mentioned, it's the long weekend, I'm not going to get a stronger solution,much less see the vet until Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back