acrylic render Vs grout

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also as a side note, bondcrete is essentially just glorified pva glue. Render is pretty much concrete with pva glue added. Save a litle money and just buy a bag of concrete and a bottle of pva glue.

Render at bunnings is $12, so not very expensive.

I found bondcrete to actually be cheaper the pva glue, this is why i have reccomended it instead of pva. Im pretty sure they are 100% the same thing, exactly the same smell and dry rate.

Rick

Thanx lots Rick, I looked into the bondcrete, seems very versatile stuff and not very expensive...my cabinet is 1600H x 1490W and 760D and the foam structure takes up about a quarter of the internal space:) will post some pics..

, bondcrete is essentially just glorified pva glue. Render is pretty much concrete with pva glue added. Save a litle money and just buy a bag of concrete and a bottle of pva glue.

Umm, no. Render and concrete are NOT the same, unless you want to render your fake rock with chunks of gravel all through the mix.

You could buy premised sand and cement and add PVA, but acrylic render is SUPER cheap, and already mixed, just add water.
By the time you buy sand&cement and PVA, it will be more $$400 than buying render.

That looks great!

Would you mind sharing how you got that look with the foam?......Looks like you doing some sort of 'in situ' moulding with expanding foam?
Yep, thats basically it,haha.. I don't have a space where I can work that's animal free :/ so had to do it inside the cabinet. Glued some polystyrene to the area that I wanted to work with, drew in where I wanted to put stuff and then put together some polystyrene fruit boxes and glued them to the back piece and filled in the gaps and covered the rest with the expanda foam and have just been cutting out to a rock looking kinda thing , probably a bit of a waste as far as the amount of foam I've cut away, but I don't think I would have got the same look,.. boy it'll take very careful and thorough work tho to get in every where with the render, have been thinking about this for the past four or so days now and have been trying to cut down as much the areas that had the deep crevices haha, will know better next time :D

Good work so far. As for your concerns about getting the render into the cracks, just make your first layer thin, lay the tank on its back and either gently pour or brush the tender on.

Foam is for giving the basic shape of what you want, you carve the detail into the render as you add more layers (finest detail goes on the last layer )

Good work so far. As for your concerns about getting the render into the cracks, just make your first layer thin, lay the tank on its back and either gently pour or brush the tender on.

Foam is for giving the basic shape of what you want, you carve the detail into the render as you add more layers (finest detail goes on the last layer )
Thanx lots, so thin enough to pour, okay.. how much bondcrete to the acrylic render.. ratio approx :)

Hasnt tried render without bondcrete but it is used to help with adhesion to the foam. Could always trial it on some foam prior to committing to not using on your background, i mix it 50/50 water/bondcrete to get a cream (thickened, not whipped) like consitancy.

Rick
hey Rick, just wondering, do you ever just use bondcrete for your first layer on the foam, have been reading other diy's on various forums and some use the bondcrete as the first layer then add the bondcrete to the render for the second and third coats, also there seems to be a couple of different ways to put the plants in, I was thinking of placing markers in the foam and rendering around them so I have holes to stick the plant stems into and then silicone them in ? What do you think, haha aside from lots of dumb questions :)

Hasnt tried render without bondcrete but it is used to help with adhesion to the foam. Could always trial it on some foam prior to committing to not using on your background, i mix it 50/50 water/bondcrete to get a cream (thickened, not whipped) like consitancy.

Rick
I use expanding foam from bunnings $14 per can x2 cans for a backing wall 1200x700 total weight of wall 3kg solid and safe for all my reptiles lizards/snakes and turtles. i water proof it for my fish tanks and waterfalls as well. i love it. good old bunnings

I use expanding foam from bunnings $14 per can x2 cans for a backing wall 1200x700 total weight of wall 3kg solid and safe for all my reptiles lizards/snakes and turtles. i water proof it for my fish tanks and waterfalls as well. i love it. good old bunnings
It's the coolest stuff and I doubt I could have got the look I wanted any other way, I'm glad I went with the expanding foam :)

I have acrylic render in my hair :/ so far so good, was dreading the rendering a bit since I have never done it before, but I think it's all good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back