acrylic render Vs grout

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that was normal ! Or am I the only one who renders while standing on my head ? LOL

I thought that was normal ! Or am I the only one who renders while standing on my head ? LOL
haha hubby thinks I'm mad, every time he comes to inspect my work, it's in a different position, upside down, on it's back and some times right way up lol

i'd straight up say go for render, it's specifically made to coat surfaces as a finish whereas grout will possibly make a smoother finish due to incredibly fine sand in it is made to fill gaps between tiles, render would have to work best

i'd straight up say go for render, it's specifically made to coat surfaces as a finish whereas grout will possibly make a smoother finish due to incredibly fine sand in it is made to fill gaps between tiles, render would have to work best
Could you put one over the other, like grout over the render for a smoother finish?

A smoother finish might come from adding a little more cement powder to the mix but typically it comes down to how exactly you smooth it off, concrete can come up slippery smooth from a trowel finish and that ****s mixed with stones and coarse sand, I don't know how smooth you want the finish but if it's mixed to a good consistency using a small smooth metal surface should ensure it comes up nicely, also I'm sure there are different grades of render you can buy from coarse to fine. Think of it like bog if you bog a dent on a car, you use the fine stuff for a smooth finish

A smoother finish might come from adding a little more cement powder to the mix but typically it comes down to how exactly you smooth it off, concrete can come up slippery smooth from a trowel finish and that ****s mixed with stones and coarse sand, I don't know how smooth you want the finish but if it's mixed to a good consistency using a small smooth metal surface should ensure it comes up nicely, also I'm sure there are different grades of render you can buy from coarse to fine. Think of it like bog if you bog a dent on a car, you use the fine stuff for a smooth finish
Thanx alex92 I was kinda thinking that after sitting there and staring at it for awhile, the first coat was kinda running, but now that's it's dry I can see where I have smooth areas and rough areas, the second coat has to be thick yeah?so it can be moulded? :)

the first coat of render is almost always just a binding layer to the final coat has something rough to stick to, i wouldn't say it's something that can be moulded, what i meant to get it smooth though is you will have to smooth over the entire surface, if you had some mixed u and just used the backside of a spoon to smooth it you should see what i mean, maybe go on youtube and you'll get a rough idea of how it normally goes and how the consistency should be when it's mixed, there's quite a few different finishes for render so it might pay to look up the finishing techniques

the first coat of render is almost always just a binding layer to the final coat has something rough to stick to, i wouldn't say it's something that can be moulded, what i meant to get it smooth though is you will have to smooth over the entire surface, if you had some mixed u and just used the backside of a spoon to smooth it you should see what i mean, maybe go on youtube and you'll get a rough idea of how it normally goes and how the consistency should be when it's mixed, there's quite a few different finishes for render so it might pay to look up the finishing techniques
good idea, will do..now ;)

okay got it, should have looked on youtube sooner and heres the link if anyone is interested :)[video=youtube;GdrpKxG4mtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdrpKxG4mtI[/video]

one of the craziest products i've used once for a job was this water proofing stuff, it was for a pool company planning to sell concentrated liquid chlorine, the stuff was crazy expensive but really cool, just painted on but would set hard in 20 mins, the surface honestly ended up looking like glass had been melted down and poured over the area haha

one of the craziest products i've used once for a job was this water proofing stuff, it was for a pool company planning to sell concentrated liquid chlorine, the stuff was crazy expensive but really cool, just painted on but would set hard in 20 mins, the surface honestly ended up looking like glass had been melted down and poured over the area haha
sounds interesting and would look really good depending on the colours ...not sure how I want the finish to look, I think as natural as possible, not glossy....:)

if you want a smooth surface on render you can use a piece of plastic bag to rub it smooth once it is almost hard (instead of a plastic trowel), this works well for uneven surfaces or odd shapes like a fake rock background.
You can get the render very smooth by rubbing, you can almost polish it. Rub it as soon as it's dry enough to not stick to a piece of plastic bag, re-rub it 15-20 minutes later

if you want a smooth surface on render you can use a piece of plastic bag to rub it smooth once it is almost hard (instead of a plastic trowel), this works well for uneven surfaces or odd shapes like a fake rock background.
You can get the render very smooth by rubbing, you can almost polish it. Rub it as soon as it's dry enough to not stick to a piece of plastic bag, re-rub it 15-20 minutes later
Thank you, I got a rubber trowel for the job, but will try out the plastic bag :)

haven't heard of that before, seems like a good idea though since you'll have the freedom if more or less forming it and shaping it by hand, help get into some of the tight spots, in all honesty i'd possible consider making something with paper mache or however you spell it and see how that works out haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back