acrylic render Vs grout

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought a box of latex gloves from coles before i started mine, use them for cleaning silicone up aswell.

First coat was poured on a spread with a brush, but all other layers were scooped onto the background and worked in using my handa hand. I got some fine lines using gloves but also got the rough texture, the sealer will block up holes in the surface of the wall but will still allow the render to have a slightly pitted surface for my monitors to dig into.

Render is great because i managed to put 3 coats on in a day, will never go back to grout.

If you want a smooth texture i would go with a cement mix, make great water features.

Rick

View attachment 291223

All I use for all my rock walls is the dunlop acrylic render, you will find each rock wall you do will get better and better as you get more practice. This was a 4ft x 5ft rock wall, took me few hours to do.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 223
if you want to do a water feature, you can add a waterproofing agent to the acrylic render. I've used Silasec (at Bunnings) with great success, I made a waterproof water bowl with nothing but Dunlop render and Silasec, and have built a large water feature the same way, no sealer required.

The Silasec is a liquid and simply replaces some of the water when mixing the render.

I wouldn't use just cement, it will shrink and crack. You can add some cement to the render to help get a smoother finish, but not much is needed.

the latex gloves are great, but the render does shred them a bit, especially if coating over a dry rough layer. I've found an ordinary sponge makes applying render easy, particularly if you have large areas to cover, just scoop it on and spread it with the sponge

I just checked the MSDS of silasec as I've never used it

Before adding you're reptile make sure you do the following if using it as a water feature/drinking bowl

PREPARATION BEFORE ADDING FISH
Important: For fish ponds, it will be necessary to neutralise the lime alkaline action of the cement in water; as that can
be harmful to fish. A method of neutralising is as follow:

Fill pond with fresh water.
Allow to stand for 4 to 5 days.
Empty pond.
Refill with fresh water, Allow to stand for 2 or 3 days.
Check pH of water with litmus paper or a pool test kit. Fish are generally happy with a pH of between 7 and
7.5. To obtain the correct pH. level, treat as necessary

Similar preparation should be implemented with pondtite as well

Wow thanx so much everyone..have started on the second coat of acrylic render and so far so good, it's a bit of trial and error but it's going good will post a pic when I have it all covered...could take awhile haha :D

View attachment 291223

All I use for all my rock walls is the dunlop acrylic render, you will find each rock wall you do will get better and better as you get more practice. This was a 4ft x 5ft rock wall, took me few hours to do.
Practice makes perfect ah hmmm I think I'll need lots and lots of practice :) your rock wall looks great :D

Okay all covered with the second coat, not sure if I want to do another coat, of render,, already used 30+ kg of the acrylic render, the enclosure is gonna weigh a tonne haha I ended up using a 50/50 mix of bondcrete/water, the first batch I mixed up following the directions on the youtube video, way to thick and it just would not stick, so the next batch was a bit thinner, not by much, but worked well and stuck well, sure that had something to do with the 50/50 water bondcrete haha and I did work out how to get the surface reasonably smoothish, round the last mix haha. All good, start painting soon :)015.jpg017.jpgthe right fern covers a hide, think it will do for a hide?017.jpg015.jpg

I have now done two coats of Pondite..I ended up spraying on with a little pump bottle that give a really fine mist, painting it on with paint brush was too difficult to get into all the little pits etc, and has worked well I think, made sure that it didnt pool anywhere by just using the paintbrush to mop up extra.. looks good and as you know I was worried about the shiny look, well it's kinda shiny, more of a wet look, which probably suits well coz it's supposed to be a rainforest/jungle type background, and the pondtite does bring out colours, more so than a clear gloss and it does give grey's a metallic finish..now for the plants :)014.jpg

Any acrylic render that's cheap will do the job, I've used a few different brands and had no problems

I used the dunlop as well, I think it's available pretty much at all hardware stores :)

Hi guys, I have some updated pics of what I have been doing, fairly well done, just waiting for new baton holders, some how manage to break one, so might as well replace both. I 've put in a poster at the back, really happy with how it looks. Next enclosure will be much quicker to do...now that I know which way round to do things haha..Thanks so much for all the info and help you have given me, very much appreciated.. will post a pic when he's finally in it :D
Cheers
Rachel.View attachment 293412View attachment 293413

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back