Whats wrong with this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a bad shed, looks like a little retained shed also but the snake just needs a good soak to fix it up.

ok im very interested in this now. My woma has the same wrinkling in his throat area, say from his head for a good 2 inches down, he is only 5 months old so not very big. His shed have always been clean and he feeds like a champ, fed 15% - 20% of his body weight every 7 - 10 days. I always thought it was 'baby' fat that he just had to grow into. should this wrinkling be something I should be concerned about?

ok im very interested in this now. My woma has the same wrinkling in his throat area, say from his head for a good 2 inches down, he is only 5 months old so not very big. His shed have always been clean and he feeds like a champ, fed 15% - 20% of his body weight every 7 - 10 days. I always thought it was 'baby' fat that he just had to grow into. should this wrinkling be something I should be concerned about?

It could be retained skin. If you leave it too long then it will come off with the next shed. Otherwise a good soaking in shallow luke-warm water should soften the skin enough to peel off easily.

But I have another question: On other threads I was told that I don't need to feed my fully grown adult pythons from May to September at all, so they have been without food for about a month now. However, if they shed it obviously means that they are not brumating, and they show some other activities every day, too ... what shall I do? Feed them so they don't starve? I certainly don't want them to suffer - and I read that, after shedding, pythons are usually very hungry. Or do I need to do something else to help this male and my other pythons to fall into brumation state?

Most pythons will remain active over winter and continue to shed. It's normal. That doesn't mean it's not brumating. They can't stop themselves growing because winter is here. The snake wont starve. Don't feed it - it wont suffer. You may do more harm feeding a snake over winter than if you let it go without. Shedding their skin doesn't suddenly increase their appetite.

Most pythons will remain active over winter and continue to shed. It's normal. That doesn't mean it's not brumating. They can't stop themselves growing because winter is here. The snake wont starve. Don't feed it - it wont suffer. You may do more harm feeding a snake over winter than if you let it go without. Shedding their skin doesn't suddenly increase their appetite.

Thank you a lot for this very comforting reply. There is so much to learn; but I look forward to spring when the snakes will get more active again and start eating properly. It takes quite a paradigm shift to understand and believe that some animals indeed can go for months without food and still fel well.

Thank you a lot for this very comforting reply. There is so much to learn; but I look forward to spring when the snakes will get more active again and start eating properly. It takes quite a paradigm shift to understand and believe that some animals indeed can go for months without food and still fel well.

Big adult pythons can easily go a year without feeding without adverse effects so a winter without feed is not an issue if the animal is healthy. They will make up for it in the warmer months. You can do more harm by feeding in winter because if your enclosure temps get too low they will not be able to digest properly and could get quite sick from the food rotting in their digestive tract.

My woma had a bit of that, she seemed to just have too much skin, and for the most part grew into it.. I think it's a woma thing.

if its a wild snake you should take it to a vet and they will find a reptile carer and treat its wounds. it doesn't look good it appears to have lack of humidity or water, trying to get warm and has burnt itself on something, and lack of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back