cooling your reptile during hotter months?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPPWP

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting a thick-tailed gecko but before I do I'm worried about keeping it cool during hotter parts of the year. I've found out that they're pretty sensitive to temperatures around and above 28C.
I live in Cairns where temperature is pretty stable but gets to the mid 30s during the wet season, and I don't have air-conditioning in my home. Will my gecko be ok, or will I need a way to keep it cool and how should I go about doing this?

Without aircon then you won't have any hope in keeping the temps down during heat waves.You already answered your question with regard to temps above 28C.Maybe look at other geckos that can tolerate a bit more heat.

hey mate i'm in cairns too, if they're sensitive to warmer environments you might wanna find out where it's native to if they naturally live around here, a better bet for temp would be aircon however sometimes you could be lucky enough to have a good room in a house that doesn't typically get too hot ie. room with little exposure to direct sun and near the high point of your roof so heat isn't too harshly transferred through the ceiling? and get a thermometer in the room to measure the ambient temperature in there during the hotter months (although that's not really possible til january now)

Cheers for the replies, the thermometer is a good idea I'll do that. Thankfully my downstairs is tiled and fairly cool. What I should've asked is: can you reliably keep a lizard cool without air-con? I've heard of people using peat moss, misting with cool water, fans, exposing some of the glass base of the enclosure... but the more opinions the better. And it never gets super-hot where I live, a "heat wave" is around mid 30s?

But if it's really simple as "tough luck" without an air-con then I'd like to know, I don't want to stress and endanger my gecko. I'll get another if I must though I'm really keen for a thickie.

I wouldnt be keeping thick tails in the northern states, the temps are far too high. Thick tails are the most cold tolerant geckos we have in australia an are a southern species, been know to hunt below 8c.

The hottest mine get over summer is around 30c, this is only for 2-3 days max (outside temps of 40c). These guys really start to struggle over 28c.

Rick

Thanks. I'd also be happy with an N. wheeleri or a levis, from what I've read they should handle the northern climate much better but might as well check here. What I'm really looking for is a more handling-tolerant gecko, that was the appeal of the thicky. I know they're all individuals but generally Wheeleri are known to be more relaxed about handling right?

No type of gecko is comfortable with handling.If handling is important to you then something like a beardie would be much better suited.

I know this, but unfortunately size (of the lizard and enclosure) is an issue. So I'm getting a gecko, which I'll be very happy with anyway even if it'll never be as tame as a beardie, blue tongue etc, and obviously some tolerate handling more than others.

I know this, but unfortunately size (of the lizard and enclosure) is an issue. So I'm getting a gecko, which I'll be very happy with anyway even if it'll never be as tame as a beardie, blue tongue etc, and obviously some tolerate handling more than others.

Again no type of gecko tolerate handling very well at all.If wanting a pet that you can handle is important to you then you really should be looking for things other than geckos.

Yep, I get it. I've considered the pros and cons of different herps. Thanks.
Back to my question: does anyone have strategies for cooling that don't involve air-con? If not then I'll opt for a hardier species.

Yep, I get it. I've considered the pros and cons of different herps. Thanks.
Back to my question: does anyone have strategies for cooling that don't involve air-con? If not then I'll opt for a hardier species.

Maybe dont buy a herp then? Possible a rat would be better as a pet as they arent hugh an seem to love affection.

Rick

I keep thick tails in Cairns and they seem to do alright. I am mindful of temps though. I keep them close to the floor and always give them some damp sand in summer. As long as you make sure they have a cool retreat with peat moss/damp sand etc they should be ok. There are more suitable species that you don't have to worry about such as the smooth and rough knob tails. I couldn't say that any of the species you are after are very keen on handling. I find every now and then you get an individual that will tolerate it. I think the most tolerant ones i have had were Nephrurus amyae.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back