Excessive consumption of Coca Cola

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe he's referring to bottled spring water (which isn't sterilised), and if often marketed as "pure".
Possibly but I was not under that impression because he stated that we need all of the the "other crap" in natural water. I agree that our bodies require vitamins and minerals that would be contained in "natural water" but think that we also could get these from other places and be fine drinking pure water.

I believe he may be referring to RO/DI water. Or pure h2o there is a belief around that our bodies are so used to having a mix of elements in our water, that drinking pure water would leach vital nutrients out of our kidneys and eventually kill us. In saying that I know plenty of people who have drunk RO/DI water for years and are still kicking

What he is talking about with pure water is water that has been distilled to the point it contains no minerals, trace elements or anything, except H2O molecules. In this state water is incredibly dangerous to ingest. If you do drink it even if its just a small amount through osmosis trying to balance everything out your body will be stripped of all minerals and trace elements until equilibrium is reached. And by remove all minerals I mean from everywhere including your bones. I remember on of the first safety warnings that I got in high school chemistry was to never drink disstilled water for the given reasons.
Cheers Cameron

Taken from here:
"And pure water does not leach minerals from our body because as it enters the mouth it mixes with our natural fluids and ceases to be aggressive."

Maybe I'm crazy but I assumed he was having a joke and talking about drowning...

Yeah, I'm talking about pure water in its purest form... nothing but molecules of H2O. In our water theres a whole heap of other stuff like salts and other ions to basically "stabilise" the water when we drink it, its the same as the water in our bodies. PURE H2O though, when we drink that, the ions in our body will leave our cells and try to make it all equal with the water you just ingested. This can kill us.
The pure water is also known as "deionised or distilled" water.

It was a tongue in cheek remark to remember that ANY substance can have a negative spin to it if you look hard enough.

Although now that I've started the debate, no it doesn't leach it from the bones... it leaches it from the cells that it comes in contact with and thats just as dangerous.

Althought this debate kind of goes for my point of view, ANY substance will have evidence for or against as why why it can/can't be dangerous which is what was happening here. I think a lot of people need to understand the significance of peer reviewed sources as opposed to an anti-*insert ingredient here* website.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm talking about pure water in its purest form... nothing but molecules of H2O. In our water theres a whole heap of other stuff like salts and other ions to basically "stabilise" the water when we drink it, its the same as the water in our bodies. PURE H2O though, when we drink that, the ions in our body will leave our cells and try to make it all equal with the water you just ingested. This can kill us.

It was a tongue in cheek remark to remember that ANY substance can have a negative spin to it if you look hard enough.

Although now that I've started the debate, no it doesn't leach it from the bones... it leaches it from the cells that it comes in contact with and thats just as dangerous.

Althought this debate kind of goes for my point of view, ANY substance will have evidence for or against as why why it can/can't be dangerous which is what was happening here. I think a lot of people need to understand the significance of peer reviewed sources as opposed to an anti-*insert ingredient here* website.

Oh boy. Sorry but deionized water and distilled water have no more risk attached to them than regular tap water.

Who ever told you the rubbish you just posted doesn't have a clue.

Post made in error - sorry... Didn't see all the other posts here that covered it...

Last edited:
It's the Ksp (solubility product) that drives the solubility of "stuff" in water (pure or otherwise) and the rate at which stuff is leached into aqueuous solution .... a little bit of knowledge of chemistry goes a long way.

Last edited:
how bout a litre of jack danieles with coke don't kno how you chap's can drink diet/ max urrrrrrgh yukky lol can brushing after help reduce acidity also im a 13 year old so I know everything like that saliva can reduce build up lmao just jokin maybe horn y ness can produce more saliva hahahaha?

i'd rather drink rain water the alien's will take us over, I drank rain water for a week with frogs living in the tank and I felt like bruce lee by the end of it explain that

Yeah... that's a load of crap. Inject it straight into your veins and you're gonna have a problem but drinking it WON'T kill you.

My point is theres speculation and both sides of the scale for all ingredients of just about anything and that its easy to get caught up into hype of badmouthing a certain product without any form of peer reviewed evidence.

As already stated... what happens when distilled water hits your mouth, and then mixes with the contents of your stomach? Guess what... it instantly becomes just a more diluted mess of saliva and then gut contents, with all the things we need to remain healthy - it ceases to be "pure" the minute you take a swig. If you think the miniscule amounts of impurities in our "normal" drinking water add anything significant to our metabolic needs, you've got rocks in your head.

Distilled water is just a good for hydration as any other potable water, but it tastes bloody awful.

Jamie

images.jpg

Baker, I was hoping someone else might do this. Sorry to be the one to tell you, but it sounds like your chemistry teacher was more interested in stopping students drinking distilled water in the labs, than providing a proper understanding of what really happens.

Osmosis is effectively “selective diffusion” occurring across a semi-permeable membrane. In reality, the membrane is more likely to be differentially permeable or selectively permeable (but we leave that for another day). Diffusion occurs where there is an unequal distribution of the concentration of a fluid substance (gas, liquid, solution). The concentration will even out due to random movement of the particles. Put simply, the probability of a particle moving from a region of higher concentration to a region of lower concentration is greater than vice versa as there are more particles in the region of high concentration and less in the region of lower concentration. This will continue until the concentrations are equal.

All living things are made up of cells. Each cell is surrounded by a cell membrane. This membrane is not a just a sheet with tiny holes in it. It is a complex assemblage of lipids and proteins, containing mechanisms that can facilitate the active transport of materials across the membrane, as required. Water molecules are a particularly small molecule, having a molecular weight of only 18, and the cell membrane is freely permeable to its passage either in or out of the cell. This is why all living cells are only capable of living in a fluid environment and multi-cellular living things existing outside this environment must have some form of effectively waterproof covering and a source of water to replace that which is inevitably lost by cells interacting with the external environment.

Cells exposed to pure water will take on water as the cytoplasm of cells is lower in water concentration due to the many solutes present. The increased volume of water in the cell causes expansion of the cell. This increased internal pressure of water is physically measureable as hydrostatic pressure. When the osmotic pressure of water moving into the cell is equal to the hydrostatic pressure inside the cell, then equilibrium is reached and no more water will be taken in overall. At the same time solutes would move out of the cell if the cell membrane allowed them to. However, cell membranes are not freely permeable to most of their solutes and will they will actively seek to retain those few that they are partially permeable to. Excess consumption of water simply leads to an increased volume of urine. The nephrons, the ‘filtering’ units of the kidneys, do not have to work as hard at active secretion of unwanted waste due to the dilute nature of the urine but active reabsorption of desired solutes would require more effort. The net effect of producing more dilute urine is probably zero up to a fair volume. It certainly puts much less strain on the kidneys than insufficient water or a significant excess intake of various solutes.

Now drinking something like sea water is dangerous. It results in dehydration for the above reasons. Severe dehydration results in electrolyte imbalance and the impaired functioning of cells, including the cell membrane – effectively a double whammy. Just as an important aside, if you were lost and getting dehydrating, even drinking your own urine, a rather weak salt solution, will likely do more harm than good. It is advised against by survival manuals, which is what annoyed the hell out me about the Bear Grylis episode (one of several) where he recommended it. Interestingly, they actually had a disclaimer accompany that episode.

I hope that sets the record straight for you Baker. It is worth doing a little reading on, but try not to get bogged down in the complexities and variations of cell homeostasis.

Some have got this and some seem confused...
“Pure water” in the strict meaning of the term is a theoretical ideal but extremely difficult, if not impossible to achieve. Distilled water is close to be pure water. Double distilled water even more so and so on. The level of purity obtained in distilling of water is dependant on a range of factors but all should give very low solute content in the end product. De-ionised water may have considerably higher levels of solutes. I would imagine an authority somewhere sets the permissible limits, but I don’t know. What it should lack is any soluble substances capable of dissociating into ions – usually salts.

My understanding is that de-ionised water is designed for used for use in metallic systems, such as engine cooling systems, to avoid the effects of more reactive metallic ions that are often present in other sources of water. These more reactive ions replace the existing metallic atoms of the system, reducing its integrity. Commonly referred to as corrosion of the metal.

Note that I have deliberately omitted mentioning the incredibly small amount of water molecules that dissociate into hydrogen and hydroxide ions, as they are not significant in terms of any chemical influence. If you are curious, ask.

I don’t know what “RO/DI” stands for.

Blue

Hey I am more than happy to be wrong on this. It has been so long since I have learned this and is a good revision before I start a chemistry course next semester at uni. I,am sure that I will have to get down into all the fun stuff of cell homeostasis at least once through my degree.
Cheers for that BLUE, Cameron

Last edited:
Thanks Cameron, that’s good to know. I decided it was best explained in the context of human consumption but then felt awkward that it too up so much space – but better that than people rushing off to hospital because someone has given them distilled water as a joke. If I can be of any assistance with the course, feel free to PM me. I was a Biol/Human Biol teacher by trade but have a bit of Chem in the background.

Cheers,
Mike

No problem. I am more than happy to be proved wrong on things, its the only way to learn. I will let you know how I go in my course. I am doing a dual major of zoology and ecology so will be focusing mainly in biology. Luckily for me I find it a very simple subject and have never had any trouble with it. Just doing one chem course to get a better grounding in science and makes it easier if I ever need to change things up in the future.
Cheers Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back